Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
" My aim is to run the "freshest" fuel possible when traveling! "

How do you do that??
By filling up at stations that have high volume sales of fuel , modern gas has about a month shelf life before the octane rating starts to degrade.
If the fuel has been in your tank for a few months or in the ground at the corner gas station , it's questionable that it'll be providing good performance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #16

Fuel filters ; don't unplug with the addition of fresh fuel .

There have been other posts on the condition , referred to by some as a type of vapor lock , caused by the electric in tank pump over heating .
Some members , when replacing the pump have taken to drilling holes in the plastic housing to allow cooler fuel in around the pump when the level is low in the tank.
Picture is a Workhorse fuel pump, yellow arrow is the pump pressure out , center fitting is the tank vent , blue arrow fuel return; hot fuel drops straight down from this point; , yellow arrow the top edge of the pump housing ; once the tank level is below this point , no cooling for the pump is provided by the fuel in the tank .
The member who posted this picture , said he drilled three holes in the area of the yellow circle to allow the hot fuel out and cooler fuel in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8.1fuel pump..jpg
Views:	58
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	201941  
Old 05-07-2018, 11:33 PM   #17

My chassis is an 11/03 build date. I think there were changes in Aug or Sep of 03 and anything after that is an 04 model year.
I could be wrong.

Drove from Gallup to Kingman Az without any problems. Going through Needles tomorrow and it's going to be 110*! Will get gas before heading over Tehachapi pass. Gonna leave early.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #18

Needles CA, has about the highest gas prices in the lower 48 .

Fuel up in AZ at the the I-40 , junction with AZ 95 ( Lake Havasu City turn off )
It's at least a buck a gallon cheaper .

Even at the top of the Tehachapi and Barstow, fuel is cheaper than Needles.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #19

We filled up here in Kingman, and will top off in Ludlow after that long climb out of Needles.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
By filling up at stations that have high volume sales of fuel , modern gas has about a month shelf life before the octane rating starts to degrade.
If the fuel has been in your tank for a few months or in the ground at the corner gas station , it's questionable that it'll be providing good performance.
So you look for " high volume " gas stations when your 5 gallons from running out of gas.

That can be a bit challenging sometimes, yes ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
" My aim is to run the "freshest" fuel possible when traveling! "

How do you do that??
as posted... only purchase from high volume fuel movers.
There are certain chains I wont buy from... like RaceTrac.

Loves, TA, Flying J are all safe bets.

I dont store my unit with much fuel in it either. But my rig is used a couple times a month.

I dont buy the excuse fuel pumps over heat from running the fuel low. My fuel tank is behind the axle and well shaded from sunlight.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
So you look for " high volume " gas stations when your 5 gallons from running out of gas.

That can be a bit challenging sometimes, yes ?
what are you some grizzled 1700s pioneer on horseback?
Modern smart phones, apps, and google/waze maps can help you "eyeball" fuel stops along your route. Cant say Ive ever been nervous about buying fuel unless there was some kinda storm or disaster bearing down.

That being said... I did once purchase fuel at some Northern Cal trailer park on a motorcycle trip where I questioned the quality before we put it in our bikes. I sprayed about a quart on the ground... I figured if we were paying >$10/gallon we should be able to ride out of there! We purchased 9.4 gallons... the attendant had trouble figuring the math. I made him count out the change and asked for a receipt...lol
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #23

I experienced vapor lock several times when outside temps were hot and fuel tank below 1/2. The final fix was to replace the fuel pump last summer in Great Falls MT after constant worrying when will the coach stall again - GM redesigned the fuel pump and never had another "vapor lock" stall. Wasn't cheap but peace of mind is priceless !!
zorro2kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #24

Well, made it to Bakersfield without a single problem. So the only time I've ever had a problem with this engine was when I let it get down to 10 gallons remaining.
It was Love's gas in the tank. Maybe that was the problem.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #25

This may be off the wall, but was your generator running? If so, does it not need about 1/4 tank plus of fuel to keep running? Could there be some issue with the generator and the motor both competing for fuel, thus limiting flow to one or the other, or both? I'm not sure how all of that works because I have been very meticulous about keeping my fuel above 1/4 tank; I don't want to experience the wrath of the DW when her generator (and thus a/c) stops in the Texas heat. I'm shivering now at the thought...
peggwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post

I dont buy the excuse fuel pumps over heat from running the fuel low. My fuel tank is behind the axle and well shaded from sunlight.
I assume you meant this statement to be a joke?
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #27

I'm confused. Every Loves I ever seen was very busy. I think the fuel would be fresh, wouldn't it
Here is a note for ya. If you see the tanker filling the station tanks, do not fill up. The tanker is stirring up the crap in the bottom. Is it filtered coming out of the station tanks?, maybe.. Just saying.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Is it filtered coming out of the station tanks?, maybe.. Just saying.
It's filtered at the pump. That's why when they don't change the filter regularly you'll get a pump that real SLOW. Not good. Means they don't maintain their pumps. I'd be more worried about that then a tanker filling the tanks.

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, tank