Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #1

Taylor Extreme Ceramics vs Magnum Plug Wires

After reading about the possible causes of a 2004 8.1 Vortec having a miss under load, I decided to replace plugs and wires. I ordered the following from Jegs:
Taylor Spiro Pro Ignition 8 mm Wire Set with Ceramic Boot: $132
8 - ACDelco Iridium Spark Plug: $56
Now I am wondering if that was the right plug wire choice. The other option would be the Magnum plug wires from Ultra RV Products for $150.
I liked the idea of Taylor’s ceramic boots although if the wires are crap, who cares what they are made of.
Any thoughts or opinions from use of either product would be greatly appreciated.
Weirthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirthit View Post
After reading about the possible causes of a 2004 8.1 Vortec having a miss under load, I decided to replace plugs and wires. I ordered the following from Jegs:
Taylor Spiro Pro Ignition 8 mm Wire Set with Ceramic Boot: $132
8 - ACDelco Iridium Spark Plug: $56
Now I am wondering if that was the right plug wire choice. The other option would be the Magnum plug wires from Ultra RV Products for $150.
I liked the idea of Taylor’s ceramic boots although if the wires are crap, who cares what they are made of.
Any thoughts or opinions from use of either product would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have any experience with the wire set you purchased, but I opted for the heat sock that covers the boot plus goes up most the length of the wire. I feel that the ceramic boot is good, but I believe you will have issues (heat) right above the boot where there is no protection, and Taylor does NOT have a good warranty. I would send them back and get either the other Taylor wires with the sock or get the Ultra RV wires. Depending on your budget.

Youll get a lot of negative responses on Taylor wires here......but I am running the Taylor Cable 99615 Extreme Service Spark Plug Wire Set for over a year and 5000 miles with no problems.

To be honest if I would of know about Ultra RV extreme wires I would of bought those, not because they are better, but because of the warranty, if/when I have any issues with the Taylor wires, I will be buying the Ultra RV wires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My personal opinion with people have problems with burning wires, is chassis air flow, depending on the house builder. Knock on wood, I have had no problems with burnt wires etc.... I live in the desert SW with high temps most of the year
Old 04-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

I find it interesting how many people are burning plug wires. I installed headers on our '03 8.1l last year. I ruined one plug wire trying to remove it but they were the original wires and plugs, 13 years old. I know because I have all the maintenance records and they were Packard wires. You only see that from the factory, not replacement AC Delco's. Just curious why this is such a big issue for some and a non-issue for others. I know the design of the coach affects airflow around the engine but still.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
I find it interesting how many people are burning plug wires. I installed headers on our '03 8.1l last year. I ruined one plug wire trying to remove it but they were the original wires and plugs, 13 years old. I know because I have all the maintenance records and they were Packard wires. You only see that from the factory, not replacement AC Delco's. Just curious why this is such a big issue for some and a non-issue for others. I know the design of the coach affects airflow around the engine but still.
Well to be honest, I am not sure the wires are bad. I pulled two wires and plugs. The wires did not look bad but the plugs looked terrible. The OEM wires were AC Delco. This just seemed like the easiest and cheapest starting point. Guess I will find out.
Weirthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying. Some folks just get caught up in the old "better mouse trap" syndrome. I see more folks on this forum having issues with high end expensive plug wires than the stock OEM wires which lasted several thousand miles before they required replacement.
Packard wires are an OEM supplier for GM btw. Very common to see this.
Lynn
Old 04-25-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Magnums are the only way to go... I had a proto type set on my 04 Newmar that I got from the Glenn Norman, the guy that got them made, and they were on the coach when I sold it last year.

I have a set on my 2008 LS3 Corvette also.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Switched from the OEM wires to Taylors because the original wires were 10 years old, so it seemed a smart thing to do. The Taylors lasted about 400 miles before problems started to pop up. Had two burn up and another that that was causing a misfire. So I put the OEM wires back on for about another 1,000 miles and later installed the Magnums. Have about 5,000 miles so far with no problems.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oemtech View Post
Magnums are the only way to go... I had a proto type set on my 04 Newmar that I got from the Glenn Norman, the guy that got them made, and they were on the coach when I sold it last year.

I have a set on my 2008 LS3 Corvette also.
Okay, but did he have a problem with the original wires? Did you need Magnum wires? We have over 50,000 miles on our MH. Original wires until last year when I broke 1 wire trying to remove it. Now have Delco replacements. Should I spend a bunch of money to fix a non-existent problem? Just saying, unless you have an issue with wires burning then the originals or Delco replacements work just as well..
Old 04-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Okay, but did he have a problem with the original wires? Did you need Magnum wires? We have over 50,000 miles on our MH. Original wires until last year when I broke 1 wire trying to remove it. Now have Delco replacements. Should I spend a bunch of money to fix a non-existent problem? Just saying, unless you have an issue with wires burning then the originals or Delco replacements work just as well..
Yup
Lynn
Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think most of those who purchased aftermarket plug wires were looking for a better replacement set of wires because of premature failure of the OEM wires. Workhorse traced this early failure of the wires to inadequate airflow around the rear spark plugs in some applications, not all makes and models were affected. I agree, some of the aftermarket wire sets were not as good as the OEM wires, but those units with airflow problems burned the ends of the OEM wires. The solution for the problem was a cool air distribution kit supplied and installed by Workhorse under warranty, or the installation of a set of super premium plug wires supplied by the coach owner.
I had 60,000 miles and 12 years on the OEM plug wires in our Open Road Tiffin. I broke two of them trying to remove them to replace the spark plugs.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes... they are worth the money.

Glenn never had any troubles but he was always looking for a better mouse trap. He also built a "A" pillar gauge pod to should oil pressure, oil temp etc.

Yup, run on the cheap and it come back an bite you... Just saying.

Can't tell you how many phone calls and emails I have gotten over the years asking if I could AIR SHIP a fuel filter, a set of plugs/wires or an adapter/filter because they ran on the cheap and didn't change. I have even had guys keep their old filter as a spare... Won't spend $70 to start with but, will spend $125 to get their butts out of BFE.

Same goes for flushing the brake system. I spent untold hours working to get speed bleeders built for our 66mm calipers and still can't get people to spent $12 on fluid and 45 mins of time every year or so. Same goes for the SB adapter. It took me months to find a source for the little nipple that fits over the bleeder screw.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I think most of those who purchased aftermarket plug wires were looking for a better replacement set of wires because of premature failure of the OEM wires. Workhorse traced this early failure of the wires to inadequate airflow around the rear spark plugs in some applications, not all makes and models were affected. I agree, some of the aftermarket wire sets were not as good as the OEM wires, but those units with airflow problems burned the ends of the OEM wires. The solution for the problem was a cool air distribution kit supplied and installed by Workhorse under warranty, or the installation of a set of super premium plug wires supplied by the coach owner.
I had 60,000 miles and 12 years on the OEM plug wires in our Open Road Tiffin. I broke two of them trying to remove them to replace the spark plugs.
Speaking of OEM wires... I have a set I took off my coach that some one can have for the price of postage.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oemtech View Post
Yes... they are worth the money.

Glenn never had any troubles but he was always looking for a better mouse trap. He also built a "A" pillar gauge pod to should oil pressure, oil temp etc.

Yup, run on the cheap and it come back an bite you... Just saying...
So my original wires lasted 50,000 miles. No evidence of burning, etc. Only reason I replaced them was because I broke one trying to remove it. I still have the other 7. I replaced those with a set of AC Delco's, which now have a little over 3,000 miles on them. You're saying I should throw out the $50 Ac Delco's and the originals and buy a $150 set of Magnum wires to fix a problem I don't have? Or should I spend $275 on the Extreme Magnum wires to fix the problem I don't have?

I don't want to be cheap so I should probably get the Extremes. I should probably go buy some new fancy, expensive mousetraps too. Don't have a mouse problem but if I don't it may come back to bite me some day..
Old 04-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #14

Quote:
So my original wires lasted 50,000 miles. No evidence of burning, etc. Only reason I replaced them was because I broke one trying to remove it. I still have the other 7. I replaced those with a set of AC Delco's, which now have a little over 3,000 miles on them. You're saying I should throw out the $50 Ac Delco's and the originals and buy a $150 set of Magnum wires to fix a problem I don't have? Or should I spend $275 on the Extreme Magnum wires to fix the problem I don't have?

I don't want to be cheap so I should probably get the Extremes. I should probably go buy some new fancy, expensive mousetraps too. Don't have a mouse problem but if I don't it may come back to bite me some day..
Nope, Extremes are generally not necessary..

It never ceases to amaze me that someone will spent $150,000 or more on a motor home and skimp on maintenance.

You wouldn't believe the comments I have had over the cost of items. I actually sent one guy 3 fuel filter adapters as he said where bad... What he really meant was they didn't meet his specs. He actually had the cojonnes to ask for $6.82 return shipping ($3.41x2) first class postage that I sent to him Priority Mail at $6.75 a pop.

I would be lucky if I made 15% profit over the year. When you consider my time to order, stock, take orders, ship order, run a FREE website, answer the phone 24x7x365, pay sales taxes, pay my over head etc. Not worth it and that is one reason I hung it up last Dec.

Sorry I had 1 nerve left today and you stepped on it.