Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Tell me I made a good choice

Hello all workhorse owners,
We put a deposit on a 04 bounder 35E I believe w22 chassis it said 22000 on label above driver seat. We love the layout two slide with a rear shower and vanity in the bedroom.

Currently own a 2000 coachmen mirada ford and have enjoyed it but wanted to provide the DW with a nicer environment ( big upgrade ) between the two. I have read a lot here over the last three years owning the coachmen about both ford and chevy. A personal friend actually owns the same coach just two years newer.

I was told the brake recall was performed, it has been taken good care of in my opinion, I have done some form of mechanics all my working life so generally can fix most problems. It has 60000 miles on it and that doesn't bother me, modern vehicles easily go well over 100,000.

Input please.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Tell me I made a good choice

Ok. You made a good choice.
Sure when you both like it it's a winner.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #3

Mine's almost identical except it's a 32W....loving it!
Old 02-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a 36' coach on a W22 chassis for 10 years.
Good choice!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've got the same year W22. If it disappeared I'd go find another just like it and buy it.

You made a good choice in my humble opinion.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:52 AM   #6

yes, give me a GM rat motor anyday!

and the 8.1 496 is a good one, which is what should be in an '04.....60K is nothing.....with synthetic oil, precision electronic fuel injection, double roller timing chains, these motors can go 500K....I've seen it.

You will not wear out the motor.....if it were to die it would be from not changing antifreeze [DEXCOOL only]....or leaning mixture out due to a MAF sensor issue[rare....usually someone over oils a KnN type air filter n that screws it up]

chassis quirks to research/keep an eye on are the Autopark brake system and spark plug wire failure from poor air circulation caused by motorhome builder.

both of which are much easier to deal with than the 'blow the spark plug right out of the head' on the 1997-05 ford tritons and the 'I snapped the spark plug off trying to replace them' on the 2005-08 ford 3 valve tritons.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman10 View Post
and the 8.1 496 is a good one, which is what should be in an '04.....60K is nothing.....with synthetic oil, precision electronic fuel injection, double roller timing chains, these motors can go 500K....I've seen it.

You will not wear out the motor.....if it were to die it would be from not changing antifreeze [DEXCOOL only]....or leaning mixture out due to a MAF sensor issue[rare....usually someone over oils a KnN type air filter n that screws it up]

chassis quirks to research/keep an eye on are the Autopark brake system and spark plug wire failure from poor air circulation caused by motorhome builder.

both of which are much easier to deal with than the 'blow the spark plug right out of the head' on the 1997-05 ford tritons and the 'I snapped the spark plug off trying to replace them' on the 2005-08 ford 3 valve tritons.
The W22 chassis does not have an autopark system. It has an Allison trans, best auto trans made, and has a parking pawl in the trans. Spark plug wires may be an issue or maybe not. Depends on how the coach manufacturer built their rig on top of the chassis. We're pushing 60,000 on our MH and have not had any burnt wires but others definitely have.

May have issues with cracked exhaust manifolds or broken studs. Again some experience this problem some don't.

We have the W22 chassis, 35' MH with a toad. I think you'll be happy with your choice, we are.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop-sicle View Post
Hello all workhorse owners,
We put a deposit on a 04 bounder 35E I believe w22 chassis it said 22000 on label above driver seat. We love the layout two slide with a rear shower and vanity in the bedroom.

Currently own a 2000 coachmen mirada ford and have enjoyed it but wanted to provide the DW with a nicer environment ( big upgrade ) between the two. I have read a lot here over the last three years owning the coachmen about both ford and chevy. A personal friend actually owns the same coach just two years newer.

I was told the brake recall was performed, it has been taken good care of in my opinion, I have done some form of mechanics all my working life so generally can fix most problems. It has 60000 miles on it and that doesn't bother me, modern vehicles easily go well over 100,000.

Input please.

Check the date codes on the tires! Have the seller go through the systems.
Install a steering stabilizer. Install a transmission temperature sensor and a fuel pressure sensor. I have three Vortec engines, 2003 5.3 bought new with 296,525 miles, 2005 6.0 93,322 miles, 2003 8.1 39,823. 8-9 miles per gallon on the 8.1 in a 2003 Pace Arrow 35G. We will never sell or trade our Pace Arrow. Love the Workhorse chassis.
chertman47 is offline   Reply With Quote