Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2006, 07:27 AM   #1

It's been a while since I was on the forum as I've been traveling, but I'm finally home and have finished the transmission and engine oil temp gauges on my coach.
These gauges are from Autometer, purchased from Summit Racing.

The sender that comes with the gauge will not fit into the #2278 adaptor, which replaces the factory 12mm engine oil and transmission oil drain plugs. The #2259 sender is the Autometer reccommended replacement. This combination replaces the drain plug and the sender is then wired to the gauge per the installation instructions.

An alternative to the #2258 adaptor and #2259 sender, is to have the factory drain plug drilled and tapped to accept the sender supplied with the gauge. I will be replacing the Autometer adaptors with these plugs and the supplied sender the next time I change engine oil. If there is any change in the gauge readings, I will post. Basically I just like having a steel drain plug in the hole.

Sump temps seem accurate enough - engine oil at 180-190 and trans at 150-165 - freeway speeds, no load, collant temp at 200-210. So far I'm pleased with the install and gauge performance. I am measuring other parameters with the Aeroforce scan gauge.

Custom CAI
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:27 AM   #2

It's been a while since I was on the forum as I've been traveling, but I'm finally home and have finished the transmission and engine oil temp gauges on my coach.
These gauges are from Autometer, purchased from Summit Racing.

The sender that comes with the gauge will not fit into the #2278 adaptor, which replaces the factory 12mm engine oil and transmission oil drain plugs. The #2259 sender is the Autometer reccommended replacement. This combination replaces the drain plug and the sender is then wired to the gauge per the installation instructions.

An alternative to the #2258 adaptor and #2259 sender, is to have the factory drain plug drilled and tapped to accept the sender supplied with the gauge. I will be replacing the Autometer adaptors with these plugs and the supplied sender the next time I change engine oil. If there is any change in the gauge readings, I will post. Basically I just like having a steel drain plug in the hole.

Sump temps seem accurate enough - engine oil at 180-190 and trans at 150-165 - freeway speeds, no load, collant temp at 200-210. So far I'm pleased with the install and gauge performance. I am measuring other parameters with the Aeroforce scan gauge.

Custom CAI
Old 07-26-2006, 03:17 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech

This is on my list of "RV to do's".
Old 07-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jbrnigan:
An alternative to the #2258 adaptor and #2259 sender, is to have the factory drain plug drilled and tapped to accept the sender supplied with the gauge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you get these tapped drain plugs? Are the oil pan and tranny pan the same size plug?

or how about something like this?
OBD Gauge
Old 07-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #5

Nice write-up there Mr. Branigan. -And great pics!!! Thanks.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
It certainly is Ollie!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #7

Yo - Land Ho - Drain plugs for oil pan and transmission pan are the same metric thread 12mm x 1.75. I purchased spare plugs from G.M. and had a machinist (Gov't job at my company), drill and tap to fit the senders. (This is a job for someone who knows what they are doing, as a lot of material is removed from the drain plug). The OBD link is for the same scan gauge I have instlled for watching other engine functions.

Custom CAI
Old 07-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too have started installing Autometer gauges,great quality of build. What scanner do you use and do you have pics? Also is there an output port on the scanner that will connect to a laptap to dump history? You and Oemtech have a private competition going on?

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #9

Here is the scan gauge installed in the dash of my coach - set to water temp and oil pressure. It will log trouble codes, clear trouble codes, but won't connect to a lap top. It connects into the coach ecm data port below the dash and reads outputs in real time.

Custom CAI
Old 07-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #10

jbrnigan:
Cool...exactly what I am going to do. I was wondering if the product work as advertised.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:22 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Beautiful gauge. Looks like I'm looking for the rectangular box to display your temps and other selections. Think someone else suggested one. Thanks

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:44 AM   #12

jbrnigan:

Is your gauge the "Interceptor"? I was also wondering if you had to run any power wires for it or does the gauge get it's power through the OBD connector? I was on the Interceptor web site and was unable to get to their order/price page for GM vehicles, how much did that little beauty set you back?

Thanks for your help.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:26 AM   #13

Jack, the Inteceptor connects to the OBD connector undr my dash. You do need a 12 v power source, I tapped a fuse behind my instrument cluster using a fuse tap. As I recall, it was about 230 bucks. It detected almost all of the parameters listed in the literature - except - trans temps.

Custom CAI
Old 07-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jbrnigan:
...It detected almost all of the parameters listed in the literature - except - trans temps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aw shucks, that's why I was interested in the gauge...wonder why it doesn't read the trans temps? too bad...