Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Tempcon Cooler Fan

My R26 chassis A/C radiator fan slowly failed as I pulled into my storage yard. Searching the internet there are two different fans available from Tempcon. Does anyone know the right model number to order?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeorge View Post
My R26 chassis A/C radiator fan slowly failed as I pulled into my storage yard. Searching the Internet there are two different fans available from Tempcon. Does anyone know the right model number to order?
BigGeorge, I believe that you have a single large fan on the condenser in between the rails about 1/4 of the way back in the front of the vehicle. is this correct? The last I remember the condenser is tilted back a bit.

I would pull the fan off and go to a parts supply retailer and go and match up the the fans. I don't know which fan to recommend given 2 choices on the Internet. You're best bet is to A <=> B the fan on the counter of the parts store.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Does your fan look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06842.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	21756  
Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #4

That's my fan right down to the two white stickers on the motor body.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
That's my fan right down to the two white stickers on the motor body.
Pull it off and bring it to your favorite parts retailer and see if they can help you. O`Reilly's, NAPA, Carquest, Autozone, & Advance are some of my favorites. They can routinely get these fans so it shouldn't be a big problem. I think it's a better option that getting the wrong one for less money on Amazon PLUS you have to pay for shipping.

Going to a Workhorse Service Center for this item won't help you.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
When I was faced with replacing that fan, I found Johnny's AC had the part. None of our local parts stores were able to identify the part. It seems to be a special. Johnny's AC asked for the make, year, & model of the RV so that they could confirm the exact part needed with Tempcon. Service was prompt & very helpful. Tempcon will not sell to the consumer.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #7

I found the local Tempcon repair outfit. They can get me the fan. Looking at the two pictures I can see that the "standard" fan has a connector identical to mine. The other fan has a very different connector. Should be the tie breaker. Only issue for me is the $220 cost of the fan and 35% restocking fee if the problem isn't the fan. I think I will take a harder look at my fan. Can one of you turn on your tempcon A/C and tell me if the fan goes on immediately? I can always check for power at the fan connector but still would like to know what okay operation looks like.

Thanks in advance.

George
Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I can always check for power at the fan connector but still would like to know what okay operation looks like.
George, The best solution before you begin allocating money to fix the problem may be to bring the vehicle to a service center and allow them the opportunity to scan your electrical system. That service center will need the Cameo software to fully diagnose the WISE system.

When first starting your engine, your fan should initially spin up for a few moments and then shut down (if it acts at all like the rest of us). Failing that, when you select any function on the AC, the fan should spin up.

The fan itself is a 12 volt device. I would suggest that you find a 12 volt power source and apply it to the hot head (assure the motor is grounded) on the fan motor to see if it spins up before I went out and spent $220 for a new fan.

If the fan spins, there may be more at stake than a new fan. If the fan does not spin, you may have found the problem.

Do the blades spin at all if you move them with a pencil or other object? This would immediately rule out a seized fan motor.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
As soon as you turn the controls to an AC position the fans turns on and runs continuously. Use a volt meter or test light to verify that you have power to the fan. I had the fan relay go bad the year before the fan failed. Johnny's AC sold me the fan for $150 delivered. Check current pricing with them too.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #10

Thanks guys for the good advice. Wow, what a price difference.

I tried to spin the fan when I checked on it. It spun freely. Hmmm.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Sadly these fans have a high failure rate. The motor just quits, but still spins freely. Our last replacement was the 3rd for the RV since 2002. Johnny's AC keeps 6+ in stock at all times.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #12

rsflight, have you ever disassembled one to see what happened? I'm headed to a dog show this weekend and will have some time to crawl under and do some diagnostics. Will keep you all updated.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #13

Got the rig out of the yard and to our latest dog show. Found a couple of minutes to start up the A/C and get under the rig. There was the fan turning slowly but making an awful noise. Clearly power gets there at the right time but a bearing or something part is failing.

I followed rsflight's link to Johnny's AC and ordered the fan for $187.97 including shipping. Sure beats the $220 plus tax and a 40 mile drive to a local Tempcon dealer.

Thank you Driver and rsflight for your great help. I'll be away for a couple of weeks but will install the fan when I get back. Then I'll up \date everyone. Again this is a super site with great folks who generously give their time and advice.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #14

Back from a couple of weeks in Italy. Now to face reality. Got under the rig, pulled the old fan and installed the new fan. Other than three trips to get the right tool, large usage of profanity and gravel scratches through my drop cloth, no problem. New fan works great.

Looked at the old unit. Fifty cent clip that held the plastic fan blade to the motor shaft is gone. Brought the fan home and disassembled it. I believe its a good quality motor with excellent bearings, windings etc. The brushes look like they will last for years and years of operation. A sheet metal clip that broke off the motor shaft cost me all this money and aggravation. Next time I have a much longer conversation with Tempcon about a replacement clip. I saved the fan blade. Putting the motor back together looked like a bigger pain than I want right now.

In the meantime you all saved me a bunch of money on the part and on what would have been at least $100 in labor cost plus parts markup. So about $150 of savings will go toward paying off the vacation credit card bills.

As they say in Italy, grazie mille (thanks alot)!

George

Tags
fan