RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #1

The 8.1 problem

First of all..I love the BBC Big Block chevy I have the iron head 502 in my airboat....
I know there is a fellow in a ga. Rv park with a rod hanging out of the block.

And on you tube WHEN IN ROME Is stuck in Columbia s.c. At love chevy with their second 8.1 ...I think dropped a valve after 3000 miles..the dealer sucks..you can watch it on you tube...

Anyway GM performance does not show 8.1 on their website..shows all the others so you are at the mercy of the rebuilder..

So workhorse ..international shut it down..and the 8.1 is an orphan...

I know I am sure v10's blow up too but you can get a reman from ford oil primed and complete with a decent warranty..

I feel terrible for them with 3 kids..

Bottom line you may get a great deal on a workhorse but it is like buying a packard..know what your getting into.

I love packards too by the way

Etkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And I have to wonder how many are driving around with no problem?

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

I have an 8.1 with 86000 on it runs great 8.6 mpg 34 foot 2004 Sea Breeze just lucky I guess
Old 03-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
I guess i am another 8.1 lover 4 years with not one sign of problem but of course preventive maintenance like filter and fluid changes. Negligence is the name of the game. Have nothing against ford but would not change my 8.1 for any other gas engine.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #5

Here here
Old 03-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
So what exactly is the problem?????(THREAD TITLE) I read your OP a couple of times, not sure what your trying to convey
Old 03-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #7

Check Raylar engineering, they claim to have 8.1 crate engines with forged cranks.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Just to clarify those that think that only the 8.1 vortec has
problems here is something to read about the V10. Not that is not a good engine but that it also has its flaws.

Fords V10 6.8 litre (413 cubic inch) engine used with the F53 motorhome chassis (‘A ‘class), and the E450 chassis (‘C ‘class), is part of the company’s “Modular” engine family. The Triton V10 was introduced in 1991 and is still being used today.
This engine represents large evolution of design. One way is to think of the V10 is a 4.0 litre V6 engine with four extra cylinders, or as a 5.4 litre V8 with two extra cylinders, this was something that was used many years ago with motorbikes, for instance ‘Beneli the Italian’. Motorbike manufacturers of the late 1970s took a four cylinder Honda 500cc engine and added two cylinders to it, in fact it was half of another Honda 500 to make the 750cc straight 6 engine.
One of the main faults with the early V10 engines (1999 – 2005) was that the spark plugs could blow out of the cylinder head. Ford use a cast iron engine block with an overhead cam aluminium cylinder head design, that uses centrally mounted spark plugs and waste spark ignition.
The aluminium cylinder heads on the two valve per cylinder engines built in the companies Windsor Ontario plant, have a fatal floor in the spark plug threads. The cylinder head being of soft aluminium does not have much inherent strength in the first place, and also expands at a different rate to the steel spark plug threaded into it.
Ford put the V10 spark plug at the bottom of a 5 inch deep well and only allowed for about four threads worth of spark plug engagement in the cylinder head.
After repeated heat cycling the spark plug welds itself to the threads weakening the material. The end result of this design flow is that the rear most sparks shoot out of the cylinder head while driving or get stuck while trying to remove them, and when hard steel sticks to soft aluminium, the aluminium will initially give way first. This makes the cylinder heads spark plugs strip clean out, leaving a small hole and no way to re-install a new spark plug. Also this failure can occur when removing the spark plugs for renewal.

Both engines agreat when properly maintained and each one has its pros and cons. We all have the freedom of choice.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Etkelly can i ask you a question. Why is someone that drives a 450 V10 is so interested in the 8.1 vortec? Is it because you regret the ford or just not happy with it and want more info on the 8.1 vortec V8. Just remember one thing RVing is not about the engine or the transmission it is about making friends no matter what they drive.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:47 PM   #10

My point is the people stuck at the chevy dealer stuck with few options..

I am disappointed that only have the option of a rebuild by a reliable person or not....I too have a BBC the 502 and no problems for soon to be 18 years.

I listened to the cranky service manager at the chevy dealer..

My brother has a workhorse also...he knows if he needs a hard to get part ..well don't call workhorse that number is no longer in service...

Anyone remember when John Deere made the rv chassis?

It can happen to ford also.

These people did not know the 8.1 and workhorse were no more.

But I have to call studebaker for a new door handle...but they have me on hold
Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #11

My brother's workhorse problem is emergency brake mechanism would not release at the gas station...anyway watch WHEN IN ROME on you tube..wife and 3 kids stuck the second time by a lousy engine job.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:01 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Dear friend so do all the owners of Ferrari and Lanborghini that can't find a crate engine at wallmart still enjoy their engines.
Why provoke happy owners of chevrolet 8.1 engines just because one person could not get the part they wanted where they wanted. Some of us owners of the workhorse / 8.1 vortec love our units and would not trade for a different gas model. Maybe for a diesel but not for a different gas. So leave us alone with our orphans because we are very happy with them.
Go enjoy your Ford Motorhome, and open a topic about that.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:06 AM   #13

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etkelly View Post
My brother's workhorse problem is emergency brake mechanism would not release at the gas station...anyway watch WHEN IN ROME on you tube..wife and 3 kids stuck the second time by a lousy engine job.
Your said it, a lousy engine job. Thousands of 8.1's out there with happy owners. And I'm a Ford Guy!
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
Etkelly can i ask you a question. Why is someone that drives a 450 V10 is so interested in the 8.1 vortec? Is it because you regret the ford or just not happy with it and want more info on the 8.1 vortec V8. Just remember one thing RVing is not about the engine or the transmission it is about making friends no matter what they drive.
You got so upset you did not read all the way through...450?

I am 70 years old and have always been a BBC fan. All the way back to the 396.

Making friends and seeing the country..however when you break down it is not nearly as fun huh?...never mind the dealer attitude...he is on you tube so maybe he will get more friendly....and if you are ever in cocoa go by diamondback Airboats all their engines are GM...luckily if you have a problem you deal with bobby, not a lousy chevy dealer.