RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dnebout:
Well, it's done 4 Konis. 100% change in porpoising. Worth every penny </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also took the Monroe's off and replaced them with FSD's. I have never looked back.

skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skipsor:
I also took the Monroe's off and replaced them with FSD's. I have never looked back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Me too!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #18

Good write-up DriVer!

I just posted my Koni review in the Winnebago forum, and I couldn't be MORE pleased than I am with the new ride. There is a complete night and day difference in the "jaring" ride that we became accustomed to with the Bilsteen shocks. Feels almost like we are floating on air now.

The Bilsteens that came off went immediately in the trash (with only 6,500 miles on them)!!

I bought mine for $476 with free shipping from SHOX.COM
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:13 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I plan on getting my Koni FSD shocks early in early April. We have a trip to Elkhart, In. planned in late April. I'll report my findings after that trip. Chuck/Bagman57.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:40 AM   #20

I replaced my lightly used Bilsteins (2000 miles) with Koni FSDs last year (4000 miles ago) and have never regretted it. I resold the Bilsteins for $25 each on a local classified board (Craigslist.org).
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just went on a 600 mile trip and I was so pleased with the ride on the Koni FSDs . I agree with DriVer in every respect on the Koni's.
Marty
Old 03-19-2007, 04:06 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Guess I must be the only one..I put Koni FSD's on the front to improve the harsh ride of the Bilstein's. They did releive the harsh ride... but in doing so I lost the rock steady ride that I had with the Bilstein's. Now seems like I am always making smalll corrections, it is affected more by winds, frontend bounces more and everything is felt in the steering wheel. I almost turned right around to remove them when they were installed but decided to balance the tires and give them some time... but after several thousand miles I am going back to my Bilsteins.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #23
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hamie:
They did relieve the harsh ride... but in doing so I lost the rock steady ride that I had with the Bilsteins. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You have to choose your evils. Most people will have changed over to FSD for the very reason that you have claimed that Bilsteins are too harsh.

I'm sorry your experience wasn't as positive as the majority but that's what makes folks choose the things they like.

Workhorse has no problem providing customers with the Bilstein as OEM equipment because they do provide excellent pitch and directional control.

The differences are what they are and in my experience the FSDs perform well and I certainly do appreciate the ride that I get with my 38G.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #24

My experience has been the Koni,s have not only taken the ride to a new level of smothness but also lateral stability and control has improved . Those curvy mountain roads are handled easier with less stress. The coach doesn,t lean in and out of corners now. Hard to imagine not noticing the improvement.- John

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:06 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was planning on buying a full set of koni FSD shocks in early April, but after reading Hamie's negative report, I'll ask Koni if they'll give me a satisfaction or money back guarantee. I replaced my Monroe shocks on our W-22 with a set of Bilsteins and at times the ride can be rather harsh and jolting! Bagman57.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagman57:
I was planning on buying a full set of koni FSD shocks in early April, but after reading Hamie's negative report, I'll ask Koni if they'll give me a satisfaction or money back guarantee. I replaced my Monroe shocks on our W-22 with a set of Bilsteins and at times the ride can be rather harsh and jolting! Bagman57. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...I can count the negative reviews of the Konis (on this website and others) on ONE HAND. (and even those say the Bilsteens were rough).

But I can't even count the positive reviews of the Koni's, because there is so many!

What is the saying?....You can please 99.95% of the people but you can't please the other 0.05%?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FrontRangeRVer, you make a very valid point! I do know that the orginal Monroes were way to soft and the Bilsteins are great on smooth interstate highways, but can also jar the heck out of you when hitting a pot hole, expansion joints, or rippled roads. Once I get the Koni's, I'll report my finding here on irv2.com first! Chuck/Bagman57.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hamie:
Guess I must be the only one..I put Koni FSD's on the front to improve the harsh ride of the Bilsteins. They did releive the harsh ride... but in doing so I lost the rock steady ride that I had with the Bilsteins. Now seems like I am always making smalll corrections, it is affected more by winds, front end bounces more and everything is felt in the steering wheel. I almost turned right around to remove them when they were installed but decided to balance the tires and give them some time... but after several thousand miles I am going back to my Bilsteins. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I wonder if the Bilsteins weren't hiding the other problems of the W22 chassis.

The W22 is a leaf spring chassis and really should have track bars, but it does not come stock with them. The track bars help keep the chassis centered over the axles, otherwise small pavement changes or side winds will push the chassis, causing small steering changes. The human reaction to this is more small inputs to the steering to correct it.

Actually I a little surprised that the shocks would mask this as much as you claim, but then I'm not driving your rig.

When you change back to the Bilsteins, keep the Koni's. You may find that the steering issues don't go away, or don't completely go away. If not, install a front track bar, and the front Koni's.

Personally I think the W2x line should come with Koni's, two track bars, and the Road Master anti-sway bars. But that's just my opinion. Other might add a steering stabilizer too.

alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote