Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #99

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Richard34A said
Quote:
This thread is supposed to be about trading in a WH motorhome
After reading 7 pages of discussion here and a large discussion on another board, on the topic "There's Dealers Who Won't take Trade-ins" ,my conclusion is:
One poster has stated that one dealer ( who for some reason can't be named) has told him that they would not take his or any WH in trade (which he stated purchasing a unit was not his reason for being there ) . Afterward the sales manger from the same dealership recontacted this person ( who didn't go there to purchase a unit) to clairfy this position. No other WH owner who reads this topic seems to have stopped at this mega store and encountered the same situtation, or at least is not commenting on it. No other dealer has been reported to make a statement concerning refusal to accept WH trade ins.
There seems no reason for me to be concerned as every dealer I frequent has WH on the lot and in today's economy would gladly take WH trades to make a deal. ( they will take your broken bicycle if you qualify to buy a unit)
Unless some other posters can verify that they have run into the same situtation of rufusal to take WH trades at any dealers, I must assume this was a freak, one time, incident or someone is attempting to work a deal with a devaluation of the trade. If my assumptions are wrong feel free to correct me. We all know what happens when you assume, it makes one out of me and u.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Dealers who are not taking trades are not at all unusual I have found and that's the truth. It doesn't matter if you're trading in a Prevost, dealers just don't want used motorhomes on their lot and it would appear that's pretty common in today's economy. If you got the $cash$, man can you make a sweet deal. Bring in a trade and you'll be very lucky to drive away with a new rig. If you're upside down, a lot of folks are, you better have a lender with deep pockets because it'll be very difficult to get a loan.

At the FMCA Convention, there were a number of dealers each saying that there was a lot of interest but few buyers. Speaking with the OEM reps, the inventories are not moving fast enough. In the Winnebago display I did see a motorhome with a SOLD sticker on the window. I'm sure there were a few others as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Richard34A said
No other WH owner who reads this topic seems to have stopped at this mega store and encountered the same situtation, or at least is not commenting on it. No other dealer has been reported to make a statement concerning refusal to accept WH trade ins.
Different variables come into play here, but the most obvious is how many members have traded, or attempted to trade-in their Workhorse motorhome that is in the affected model-years and chassis and actually bought a new motorhome in the last 30 days? Then, you have to factor that if they bought and traded-in, what are the odds they ended up at this dealer? No one said they was a nation-wide problem or trend… it was one specific dealer in one specific location.

Based on the current economy and what I’m guessing are pretty low sales numbers right now and all the above, I’d say that the odds are pretty small. For example, over the last two weeks I’ve been to 3 Camping Worlds that spent a lot of money setting up their RV sales department that have since closed down that part of their operations due to ‘slow or almost no sales’. Great time to be in the market for a new motorhome; just ask any RV manufacturer running a skeleton crew and hoping to keep the factory doors open. If knew where to find the information, I'd like to see the current sales figures of Ford and Workhorse chassis, along with the current MH sales figures; I bet it isn't pretty.

As an aside, I drove to Sacramento today and saw 4 automobile stores that have closed and liquidated along the way... (Ford, Jeep, Kia, along with other product lines... gone.)
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #102

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Richard34A in his opening post asked
Quote:
While I’m sure it’s perfectly legal on refusing certain motorhome trade-ins, that dealers don’t want to be stuck with ‘turkeys’ as they had put it, how does this impact Workhorse owners and where does this put us if you want to trade-in?
It seems as though it is not dealers , but one alleged dealer. It should have no effect if you want to trade-in, unless you happen to stumble upon this one sales manager who wants tto show his intelligence by telling you your WH unit is a turkey. Other than the economy putting a damper on financed sales with trade-ins, I don't see where trading in a WH is any different than other equalivent brands.

Richaard34A said
Quote:
Different variables come into play here, but the most obvious is how many members have traded, or attempted to trade-in their Workhorse motorhome that is in the affected model-years and chassis and actually bought a new motorhome in the last 30 days? Then, you have to factor that if they bought and traded-in, what are the odds they ended up at this dealer? No one said they was a nation-wide problem or trend… it was one specific dealer in one specific location.
I don't understand why a poster must limit describing a bad dealer / WH trade-in experience to the last 30 days? And as a closing this whole topic was stated without someone buying or trading-in, and yet we have been totally informed of one sales manager's opinion.
When the time comes and the economy is better , I don't think I will have a problem trading my current unit (2005 WH chassis)
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
I don't understand why a poster must limit describing a bad dealer / WH trade-in experience to the last 30 days? And as a closing this whole topic was stated without someone buying or trading-in, and yet we have been totally informed of one sales manager's opinion.

When the time comes and the economy is better , I don't think I will have a problem trading my current unit (2005 WH chassis)
I only picked 'the last 30 days' as that's approximately how long ago since stopping in at that dealer, and the 'dealing changes' on a day to day basis.

I was replying to "No other dealer has been reported to make a statement concerning refusal to accept WH trade ins." and was pointing out that I don't think many, if any, members here have recently traded-in a Workhorse on a new motorhome, so it's kind of hard to make a judgement that no other dealer has been reported, since I don't think the new MH sales are there in the first place. I certainly haven't seen members posting about their new purchase and the details of trading in...

The RV market will come back, no doubt, when the economy picks back up and if fuel doesn't go to $5 a gallon. And the perception that my chassis has bad brakes will probably go away when Workhorse or Bosch come up with a long-term solution...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote