Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Thought I wanted a WH chassis, but now....

Hello All,
I know there will always be a Ford vs Chevy debate.. I am not trying to go there with this post..

We are researching our first RV purchase, and I am leaning towards the WH chassis. The brake recall didn't concern me too much, this kind of stuff happens.. However, further reading does have me concerned about the various issues (burnt plug wires, Auto Park failures, and throwing Connecting Rods)..

Can any of you proud owners help to ease my fears a little bit? Are these issues really prevalent, or does it just seem that way because, well because we are all a little more vocal when we feel wronged...

A quick scan of the Ford forum didn't show nearly as many issues on the surface..

Any help would be appreciated.. Still trying to find alternate RV rating sites, any help there would be appreciated as well :-) (found RV-Coach.com already)

Thanks,
--Dave--
Davensocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #2

Please do your research carefully, this is not exactly an unbiased site. A lot of information here but sort through it carefully, also search other forums where there are not so many Workhorse employees.
Traded my WH for a fifth wheel and happy to be rid of it.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been a Ford person for 5 decades but I do have a Workhorse chassis.

As with everything in life there is some bad to go along with all the good.

It seems all you ever hear about is the bad because sadly the good is always "soon forgotten".

I'd like to wish you the best of luck with what ever you decide upon.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One very happy WH (non-employee, non-evangelist) owner here.

Have an '06 W24 chassis. Do ALL my own maint, cheaply. Have NEVER been back to a dealer for any chassis issue.

Have averaged 7.25 MPG pulling a 4400# jeep for almost 20,000 miles.

Works for me.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #5

I bought my current coach because of very positive experiences with GM big block engines in two pick-ups. My brother-in-law just sold my '97 GMC (7.4L) with 140,000 miles and still going strong, after buying my '02 GMC (8.1L) with 80,000. We both used them to pull large fifth-wheels, never any major problems. I expect the same experience with my current 8.1L.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davensocal View Post
Hello All,
I know there will always be a Ford vs Chevy debate.. I am not trying to go there with this post..

We are researching our first RV purchase, and I am leaning toward the WH chassis. The brake recall didn't concern me too much, this kind of stuff happens.. However, further reading does have me concerned about the various issues (burnt plug wires, Auto Park failures, and throwing Connecting Rods)..
Dave, No need to concern yourself with auto park failures that system was retired in ~2006/2007. Any engine can throw a rod and this is not unique to the GM Vortec. The majority of the Workhorse owners that post here have not had plug wire failures. It is common knowledge that depending on the year make an model, the coach body influences whether or not this event could occur. A working solution is in place in the event something like this happens and the remedy is applied free of charge regardless of fault while in warranty.

I am approaching 90,000 miles and several other folks here have hit 90K miles in their ownership as well. I can report to you that my engine runs just as good today as it did some 9 years ago. In 2001 when I purchased my 1st Workhorse, there was no question about which chassis I would spec out by research alone. In 2003 we got a 2nd Workhorse and its doing just fine for an old filly and I am pleased to own it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Dave;

I wish you well in your decision making process. I have an 04 Workhorse on a W-20 chassis and, for the most part am very pleased with it. We've had a few problems with the chassis and the house but everything has been taken care of. I had an air flow problem and burned the # 7 plug but I made air flow kit myself, added upgraded plug wires and boots and have not had a similar problem. In 2007 I had the dreaded brake failure and paid a couple of grand to get it fixed but we took the rig to Alaska, Canada, the US west prior to the brake recall. No problems then and no problems on our most recent post brake recall trip. I did not like the stock air filter box due to water intrusion (on my particular rig) and replaced it with Brazel's ultra kit. Due to the economy and gas prices, we will not trade it for a newer rig and start doing a bunch of interior and chassis upgrades, money permitting.

I like the power of the engine, as well as the Allison transmission. The ride is good, but I cannot compare it to an F53 Ford because I've never driven one. There has been a lot of back and forth regarding Workhorse, the companies treatment of it's customers overall and especially treatment during the long drawn out brake recall period. Take everything that you hear with a grain of salt so to speak.

Given the chance, I would buy another WH product, but not a W-20 only because the W-22 or especially the W-24 would be a better ride. Of course, they are not building the 8.1 engines anymore!. And no, I am not a Workhorse employee, ambassador or spokesman. Just an Rver with a MH with nearly 50k miles on it.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
RV Rating

We are glad we bought the www.jrconsumer.com/ they give you the owners opinion and do not accept any payment from rv companys. Sort of a consumer reports for rv's ! The owners of Tiffin had nothing but great things to say about them and so far I agree 100 percent. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davensocal View Post
Hello All,

We are researching our first RV purchase, and I am leaning towards the WH chassis. The brake recall didn't concern me too much, this kind of stuff happens.. However, further reading does have me concerned about the various issues (burnt plug wires, Auto Park failures, and throwing Connecting Rods)..

Can any of you proud owners help to ease my fears a little bit? Are these issues really prevalent, or does it just seem that way because, well because we are all a little more vocal when we feel wronged...

A quick scan of the Ford forum didn't show nearly as many issues on the surface..

Any help would be appreciated.. Still trying to find alternate RV rating sites, any help there would be appreciated as well :-) (found RV-Coach.com already)

Thanks,
--Dave--
Bowiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm another "non employee" and we're on our 3rd workhorse chassis MH. On the first two I had most of the issues you've mentioned but they were managed with the help of forum members. The autopark problem on my last Winny was caught before total failure and fixed for $50 and a half hour of work thanks to forum member oldusedbear. The W24 chassis under my rig now has been relatively problem free. I'm glad there are workhorse employees and or ambassador's on this forum because with their help I've pretty much taken care of maintenance myself.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #10

If I were buying another Motorhome, it would be a Ford. The WH, I have has been very good in many respects. Runs like a top, has lots of power, handles well and nothiing has gone wrong except one thing. The dash air conditioner. When it did worked it was marginal. I have had three compressors, condensers and other things and it still does not work. The last place, I took it to get fixed said, we replaced everything and we can not fix it. Take it somewhere else. Three different places have worked on it. If the surrounding temp is 90 degrees the air coming out is 80 degrees. It cools the air only 10 degrees. The workhorse dealer tells me that is normal. My Saturn I pull will put out air below 40 degrees.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Having had a 2006 Ford F-53 chassis and now owning a WH chassis, both my wife and I were amazed at how much smoother the WH is. I had no complaints about my last MH but can say with all truth that this WH chassis and the 8.1/Allison combo is wonderful. Retired Oil Refinery Machinist/Millwright
archtop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an 08 Rexhall on the Workhorse UFO (rear engine gas), had a couple of minor problems under warranty, and Workhorse was very good to see things were taken care of correctley. It is a shame the chassis is not being produced, as I feel it is the best gas chassis ever. This is our 4th motorhome. Most of my working life was spent behind the wheel of a truck.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as I know there are no workhorse employee's posting on this site. I have had two WH chassis and no problems.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Dave to irv2.
As you can see allot of satisfied WH owners have come out of the woodwork , I had Fords before the pleasant surprise of owning a WH.
I'm a BELL man myself.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote