Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Time for maintenence! Transmission and coolant questions

Transmission: What's the best way to change out some of the ATF without having to remove the pan?
What kind is the best to use? I have the GM tranny not the Allison (P32). I have seen some advise against using the modern DEXRON formulation and buying DEX III copies or TranSynd.

Coolant: I assume DEX-COOL is what I need to use?
I found service notes from the PO indicating he put regular green into the system :/ but I haven't drained any out to see if it's green or orange yet. If it turns out to be green, does that mean I need to flush and refill with the correct stuff or leave it on green?
I've noticed that the full strength coolant is much cheaper than the pre-mixed so I was curious if you can get away with filling 1 gallon of the coolant first, then pouring a jug of distilled water in afterwards and it'll mix itself in the cooling system.

I actually don't have any oil change questions, I bought an AC Delco PF932 2 quart filter listed on Oemy's site.

gunterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
Transmission: What's the best way to change out some of the ATF without having to remove the pan?
What kind is the best to use? I have the GM tranny not the Allison (P32). I have seen some advise against using the modern DEXRON formulation and buying DEX III copies or TranSynd.

Coolant: I assume DEX-COOL is what I need to use?
I found service notes from the PO indicating he put regular green into the system :/ but I haven't drained any out to see if it's green or orange yet. If it turns out to be green, does that mean I need to flush and refill with the correct stuff or leave it on green?
I've noticed that the full strength coolant is much cheaper than the pre-mixed so I was curious if you can get away with filling 1 gallon of the coolant first, then pouring a jug of distilled water in afterwards and it'll mix itself in the cooling system.

I actually don't have any oil change questions, I bought an AC Delco PF932 2 quart filter listed on Oemy's site.
If your GM tranny does not have a drain plug, you MAY be able to suck out some (most?) of the old ATF using a suction pump and tubing down the dip-stick tube, but that is likely to be painfully slow. Yes, you are right to be concerned about putting Dexron VI in a tranny designed for Dexron III-and I would not do so. Either find some DexIII equilivant, or bite the bullet and pay big bucks for TranSynd or other ATF meeting the TS standard.
You don't say what year, but I know "mixing" the older green coolant with the newer pink/orange Dex-cool product is a big no-no.

IMO, you save money buying the concentrate instead of the 50-50 premix, and pouring 1/2 gallon of the concentrate into a clean empty 1 gallon container before adding a 1/2 gallon of distilled water to the concentrate is not difficult. That way whatever amount you wind up adding to refill the system is always the correct blend your system needs, and you can save any unused left over fluid marked "ready to pour" 50/50 premix.

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Don't mix coolants-if the green is there now then stick with green, mixing creates a gelatinous goo thats not very good at cooling. As for transmission fluid it should indicate on the dip stick what to use. Again, don't mix III and VI.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Yes, you are right to be concerned about putting Dexron VI in a tranny designed for Dexron III-and I would not do so. Either find some DexIII equilivant, or bite the bullet and pay big bucks for TranSynd or other ATF meeting the TS standard.
Any specific one that would be good? Or am I best off with the SuperTech walmart Dexron ATF?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Any specific one that would be good? Or am I best off with the SuperTech walmart Dexron ATF?
If i'm not mistaken, i believe the Supertech is labeled to be suitable for use where Dexron II and III are required.

Don't want to steer you wrong but i'd feel safe using it in our 2002 GM 4L85E tranny.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Time for maintenence! Transmission and coolant questions

Yep it is I just checked WM. Also looks like green coolant at the top of the radiator, should I flush it with distilled water and put the correct stuff back in or will that cause a problem?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Yep it is I just checked WM. Also looks like green coolant at the top of the radiator, should I flush it with distilled water and put the correct stuff back in or will that cause a problem?
Walmart also has the Supertech antifreeze that's labeled to be used in most systems with any color antifreeze. Wouldn't think you could go wrong using it...
Old 02-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All levels of Dexron are backwards compatible.

4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission