Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
What length ext do you use?
Dagwood, This I see as an important question. There is a stepped extension holder so that when you push down on the bar the support can handle the force you are applying. I would keep the extension as practically short as possible and no longer than 6 inches.

The length of the pipe on the other hand, I'd start with a 60" piece of pipe but that said using these types of expedients can be hazardous if one is not careful. I would try to make sure that I had at minimum a 3/4 inch drive socket and breaker bar. Now restoring the nuts back on the wheel to the proper torque will be difficult using that expedient. Now that said, I have tightened so many wheels in my life that I would be able to get it close enough for horse shoes or at least so the wheel won't fall off. One need to focus on applying an opposing pattern, a little bit at a time.

Many of the tire service establishments that I have seen work with truck tires use 3/4 drive impact tools, apply the tool and run the nut on the wheel until it stops. Do these tools only exert 450 ft/lbs or torque? Maybe but unlikely. Then again these guys do a lot of tire work so they generate a mechanics feel for tightness

I don't see a lot of these guys taking the time to apply a torque wrench to a lug nut unless the clock is running and then it's altogether unlikely that many shops have a 3/4" drive torque wrench.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
M&EM If I have this right I should have an arm length of 27 inches and 210 lbs would get me to the 472 lb range? Ok I think I can afford a breaker bar and socket. What length ext do you use?

Dagwood, You get the idea. The extension/s I use is about 9". I'm going by senior memory here. It is made of 2 extension together. Other important things to consider are described in Drivers' post above. I use this length on the rear wheels because of recess of the wheel and to give me some room to safely lean against the motor home wall for balance. I use a 6 " and a 3 " together for the rears and just the 3 " extension on the front wheels. I didn't actually use a jack stand but fashioned a telescoping square tube support with many 1/4" pin holes for vertical adjustment positions. The top of it provides a "V" like seat to rest the horizontal extension bar onto. A jack stand with sufficient adjustment should also work fine. I used square tubing because that's what I had lying around.

This week end I will be checking the wheel nut torques and I'll try to remember to photo the arrangement of these things.

Marty
Old 12-25-2009, 03:02 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i have a harbor freight 600 ft lb 3/4 drive torque wr. cost was under $100. i have the hf sae 3/4 socket set and a 3/4 33mm socket for the lug nuts. i use 2 extensions on the rear and a jackstand or my dw for support on all the wheels. the extensions in the hf set were not long enough.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i have a harbor freight 600 ft lb 3/4 drive torque wr. cost was under $100.
Dan, When I was working in the trades, the Snap-On man and the Mac Tool guy used to come by the shop. They would give you the tools and you made payments perhaps as little as $20 per week. The 3/4" drive torque wrench was on a plaque in the van that said don't even bother looking cause you can't afford me!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Dan, When I was working in the trades, the Snap-On man and the Mac Tool guy used to come by the shop. They would give you the tools and you made payments perhaps as little as $20 per week. The 3/4" drive torque wrench was on a plaque in the van that said don't even bother looking cause you can't afford me!
I still have all my Snap On tools purchase on the same time plan back then(late50s) including a 250 #lb dial torque wrench. Rather then using a torgue multiplier and such. I chose the basic fundamentals described above since no worry about calibration or accuracy or friction losses.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
I still have all my Snap On tools purchase on the same time plan back then(late50s).
Marty, I think I just finsihed paying up my tab just a few weeks ago! Those were the days!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Red face

Quote:
Got tires mounted and balanced(off the vehicle) this week. Roberts Tires in Mesa, Az did the job..
I asked what they would torque lug nuts too. Reply was 250 typically and should be more then enough. I was not happy with that answer and asked for 475. Don't know if I got that!------------
----I will also check and re torque lug nuts before my next travel.------------
Overall I was Happy to get this done as easily as I did and with my own purchase of new fresh tires.
Today I finally re checked torque using my basic torque wrench method(go here http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=1028).
I found the nuts torqued to at least 500#ft on the ones I sampled (2 at each wheel). So Robert's Tires gets my gold star! Hopefully they are not overtightened

Marty
Old 01-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Hopefully they are not overtightened
Marty, I think you'd need a 500 pound gorilla to over tighten those lug nuts.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know if 'Discount Tire' is big in the rest of the country but they are a good place to buy tires here in CO. They have always sold and installed MH tires before , balanced them for life, free flat repair etc etc. But no more. I was told that OSHA was forcing them to buy new equipment and spend alot of money if they were going to dsell and install truck tires.
Since 99% of their business is car and light trk they just quit doing the big truck tires. I wonder if the truck tire places complained about them.
Any way, I have 19.5 tires and I was wanting to try out the Toyo. The XRVs ride nice but I really haven't been very lucky with Michelin. Especially after 5 or more years. I'm not ruling them out yet until I check prices though
Does Sams Club or Costco sell Toyo 19.5 s?
I saw something else that is good for 19.5 tire owners , since that size is rare and sometimes hard to find. Fords' new F 450 and F 550 come with Continental 19.5 tires so that may make them easier to find. I might check the prices on those as well.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I had 6 Hankook's installed a couple of weeks ago here in eastern Missouri. Total cost was $1832 mtd and front 2 balanced. Replaced original 7 year old Michelins that had cracked bad. Thought I would try this brand as I had heard good things about them. So far I like the ride but only have about 500 miles on them.
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Any way, I have 19.5 tires and I was wanting to try out the Toyo."
I had 6 Toyo's installed a few months ago on my 22.5 rims. I finally tested them with a three week trip over the holidays. They seem to ride fine. My only problems with them was the installer. Once they were trued and speed balanced properly they seem fine. They do have an odor to them that smells like your black water tank needs emptying. The odor is suppose to go away after while.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
19.5 on 22.5 rim?Is this safe?Im new to 22.5 tires and need to know Thanks

Darrell
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Any way, I have 19.5 tires and I was wanting to try out the Toyo.
Steamerman is quoting Max49
Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
19.5 on 22.5 rim?Is this safe?Im new to 22.5 tires and need to know Thanks

Darrell

The 19.5 and 22.5 designation referred to is the diameter of the wheel required. Not to worry about it being safe, its not doable!

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote