Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #1

You know I think it is about time for all of us to say what we like about our Workhorse MH. It seems to me that when I read the forum all I hear is the bad things. When I moved into the w22 it was a big improvement for me. I traded a 34 ft on a ford frame and it had 16 tires and very poor brakes. I never knew when I was going to blow another tire and I blew many. I like the Allison transmission on the Workhorse. It has enough power to handle my toad very well. My mileage is just as good as it was on the smaller MH , 7 1/2 to 8 MPG
When I first got the Workhorse I was suprised at how well it drove and handled compared to the Ford. I used to get blown all over the road but now I hardly ever notice any movement from the trucks or side wind.
At present time I have 16000 miles which is very little for a 2004, but I have had a year of a lot of sickness and health issues and hope to get out more in 2009. Also when the gas prices went up I didn't make as many trips, I just stayed longer.
Yes I would buy another workhorse.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't had any problems with mine that I had to spend money on , and I haven't had to take it to a shop since the warranty ran out. 21000 miles now.
No Brake problems, 1 burnt plug wire, on the 3rd IP and it's working fine so far, 1 autopark actuator assembly all covered by warranty. All my gauges go 'go off the chart occasionaly, when it freezing cold out but I could'nt get them to fix that even when the svc cntr saw it.
Went into limp mode once and I fixed that by turning it off and back on. They changed the fuel pump, and it's been fine since.
The 8.1 always starts good, is easier than any other vehicle I've owned to change the oil. Probably has more power than the V-10. Mine will drive straight as an arrow @ 80 MPH on flat land with no wind.
But I don't think I'd buy another WH.
Mostly because how they ignore anyone with the brake problem , even tho they won't admit there is a problem and the same goes for the IP problem. You could trade or sell your WH with caliper problems and they probably would'nt know it. If the odometer is unreadable, they will notice that.
Some say Actia may help with the problem but WH sure seems to try to keep this a secret.
They also seem to be too busy making new rear engine gassers and now front engine diesels to have time to worry about old stuff like the front engine gassers' problems.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Sam:
You know I think it is about time for all of us to say what we like about our Workhorse MH. It seems to me that when I read the forum all I hear is the bad things. When I moved into the w22 it was a big improvement for me.
The 5-speed Allison transmission, which I assume is even better now with the 6-speed. My MH is 5' longer, 6" wider, a lot heavier and holds alot more stuff I really don't need to haul, and it still gets almost the same fuel mileage as my old Fleetwood product.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We love our W25.5 and haven't had any issues with it, BUT, there's now way I'd feel safe driving it 80 mph!
jojolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #5

I think our WH W22 is quiet, smooth, and remarkably efficient at moving up to 11 tons plus toad around. I would love to test a UFO, but have no need to trade.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We very much like the driving stability over our previous Ford chassis. Cargo capacity has increased as well as fuel tank size. The service we get from our local Workhorse service center is exceptional. They {Gallo GMC in Vineland NJ} have gone out of their way for us and nothing is ever a problem. The 22.5 Michlens give a good ride and great handling over previous units we have had. The brakes have been a problem once and we am more cautious but not fearful. I'm sure time will bring a resolution to the problem. I've had vehicles that broke the speedo cable or the odometer has quit. If the Atica quits we will replace it.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by George Z:
I've had vehicles that broke the speedo cable or the odometer has quit. If the Atica quits we will replace it.

George, I don't believe the later Actia units, such as is in your 2006, are prone to failure like the earlier units. I like Max49 am on my third Actia unit, and so far so good. Also should you require replacing the Actia in your motorhome when out of factory warranty, I think you will find it costs way more than a simple speedo cable used to cost.

Dieselclacker
Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the Allison transmission in my Workhorse, even though it has a mind of its own at times, . Also like the quiet, smooth, easy starting, and powerful 8.1 engine.

Dieselclacker
Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Like most of it, just scared to death every time I have to apply the brakes.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the big V8 and the Allison tranny.
The brakes, electrics, sensors wiring and winnebago's mods to the chassis when installing the house just kills what could be the best.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with Ron.. First I'm a "GM" fan (having driven Ford, GM and Chrysler products, I like GM and Chrysler, do not like ford) so that big honking Chevy V8 Speaks my language (A nice throaty purrrrrrrr)

And when you ask folks who makes the best engine.. Well.. it's like asking what's the best religion and as you know there are folks who would shoot me for stating my answer to that question (Religion that is, You see, I'm Catholic, a Christian religion, and some folks still shoot Christians)

However we also have the fact that when you ask who makes the best Tranny you have to listen real hard to hear the folks who say anything other than ALLISON cause quite frankly The ALLISON chorus out numbers them like 99 to 1

I also like the fact that Workhorse National HQ is only a few miles from where I live. Now I realize that's not going to work for many of you but it sure makes for funny stories when service people give me a run-around
Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I like how solid this W24 chassis is. There are times on the hilly interstates when I'll let it get up around 70 MPH nearing the bottom of one hill to accumulate momentum for the next - and this thing is just hummin' along, no shakes, no shimmies, no rattles. Always amazes me how solid it feels and how true it steers.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I am just about ready to get our rig back on the road for 2009. We'll be heading toward Florida's Gulf Coast. Each and every time I drive my motorhome, It's just like the "first" time. I still love to drive it and it likes to be driven. Having added a number of after market suspension products I can say that with 1 hand on the steering wheel I drive this thing all day long and never have to break a sweat under any routine driving conditions.

The 8.1L engine is stronger today than ever and the Allison as always performs flawlessly. I feel very fortunate to have such a good operating vehicle that provides us a comfortable mode of transportation where ever we chose to move our house.

What we initially actually found compelling on our current motorhome is the 22.5 inch tires and they have not in the least bit disappointed us. Like everyone here we have had issues and challenges with this or that however overall we are very pleased with our Workhorse.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm going into my sixth year with my W-22 and it drives as good as the first day I drove it home. Have added a few upgrades but I did that with all the Fords I had also, more so for safety reasons, the Fords couldn't support the Newmar coach.
Have no problems with brakes or the ACTI Display same one she came with.
Like most of us do maintain all chassis items and be easy on the gaspeddle.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote