Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
That's what I keep wondering about. My tires are a little over 6 years old but show no cracking at all. One day I decide to buy, the next day I ask myself why. But, one blowout could cause more damage than the price of the tires. Decisions, decisions, decisions!
I know I will get flamed for this but when I purchased my coach the PO said the tires were new. Michelin XRV's 8 of them. I looked them over and had no reason not to believe they were not new since they still had the "tits" on them with no visible thread wear or cracking. I didn't know about the "date stamp then) When I read about the date stamp on here I looked at my tires. 1999..... That is 12 years old. The coach was in storage for over 9 years so technically he was right about being new. After getting a quote of $3,800 to replace all 8 I went to a friend of mine who owns a tire store. He checked them out and even took one off to inspect it. He said "I'd love to sell you new tires but you don't need them, save your money"

Another friend of mine has 14 year old tires and runs the MH every month somewhere. I guess if the sidewalls are cracking and or the thread is bad you need to replace them. If not, save your money. I have put on over 4000 miles on the coach since I bought it with no tire problems. I'm still going to replace the 2 front ones and keep the old ones for spare tires but spending almost $4,000 for tires that still have a lot of life in them seems foolish just because the tire manufacturers want you to purchase new ones or some "experts" think 6 years is long enough to hang on to your hard earned dollars.

So let the flaming start:
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had an inner dual blow a side hole which fortunately avoided damage to the fender.

I went with Michelin XZE for just over $330 apiece from Lazydays in Seffner, Florida. Their install cost of $55 was as good or better then I've seen elsewhere. This included spin balance. Just don't expect them to communicate with you when the work is going on. I'm not sure what all those service managers do in their offices, but they sure don't talk to their customers about what day (yes I said day, I spent three on this and another issue) you can expect to finally escape from service hell.
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
So let the flaming start
No flames here but you can expect that replacement tires will run out to 10 years and may be retained on visual inspection by an authorized dealer thereafter.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote