Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2002 Newmar Scottsdale 3456 on the W22 chassis. It has 19.5 Sailun tires. The passenger side outside dual was cupping. A tire shop convinced me the tire was separating. I put new tires on the steer and moved those two to the RT rear. The outside tire is still cupping. I have an appointment Monday for alignment. I hope this cures the issue. Anyone have any advise? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Community Administrator

What make tires are they ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sailun 19.5.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Going on the premise that there is no mechanical issue, tire cupping is a temperature and rubber compounding issue.
Do check for the potential of excessive bounce, since this is the side that gets most of the potholes. Check for shock absorber failure (oil leakage on the absorber body), deteriorated rubber bushings on the shock absorber attachments. The same for any sway-bar attachments. Pick up the rear wheels and check for any axle wobble at idle only.
Last but not least increase the tire pressure by about 10%, this will alter the tire resonance.
If the cupping disappears during winter driving, then it is definitely a compounding issue. The latter will not be validated by any manufacturer.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

I thought the W22 had 22.5" wheels. Are you sure you do not have a W20?
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know about a big chassis but I know for sure cupping can be due to alignment on a car.
A bunch of people said it had to be shocks but a Honda dealer said alignment could be the issue and after he did a four wheel alignment (the problem was with the rear tires) The cupping went away.
I didn't really think shocks were the issue since the car was brand new when the cupping started.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Workhorse owners manual says Model #P300 22 is a W22. The Workhorse plate behind the driver's seat says Model#P32022. It shows a GVWR of 22000. I took this to be a W22. I believe I read somewhere in the forums that 19.5's were an option on the W22.?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmanbob View Post
My Workhorse owners manual says Model #P300 22 is a W22. The Workhorse plate behind the driver's seat says Model#P32022. It shows a GVWR of 22000. I took this to be a W22. I believe I read somewhere in the forums that 19.5's were an option on the W22.?
You are correct. My mistake.
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for checking!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This may be of some interest to some of you. It is the info Workhorse put out on the W series chassis in 2002 or 2003. I am not sure which. I downloaded it in 2004.
The 19.5 tires were indeed an option on the W22 chassis.

SEE HERE to download the Word document.

Tags
tires