Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #1

Towing limit for Workhorse?

I just bought a 2001 Forest River Georgetown 303 with a 2000 Chevy 454 Workhorse chassis.

The previous owner flat towed his Honda CRV. I'm looking to tow a cargo trailer.

I've been trying to find a max towing limit in all the documents but can't find anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks Ron
RonInFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably 3,500#'s and aux brakes required if over 1,500#'s. That's the usual back then.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonInFlorida View Post
I just bought a 2001 Forest River Georgetown 303 with a 2000 Chevy 454 Workhorse chassis.

The previous owner flat towed his Honda CRV. I'm looking to tow a cargo trailer.

I've been trying to find a max towing limit in all the documents but can't find anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks Ron
This is from Georgetown Motorized vehicle manual:

TOWING A VEHICLE, BOAT OR TRAILER
Before deciding whether to tow a car, boat or trailer behind your motorhome, consider the following warnings regarding weights and braking ability:
1.) DO NOT exceed the motorhome’s GCWR (gross combined weight rating), or the hitch rating. You must include the weight of the fully loaded coach (with
all occupants, or allowing an average of 150 lbs.
per person), and the towed vehicle, combined. The combined weight MUST NOT exceed the GCWR. (DO NOT assume you can tow a vehicle which is within the capacity of the hitch without considering the fully loaded weight of the motorhome PLUS the weight
of the towed vehicle. The two combined may exceed
the total GCWR of the motorhome. Allow your selling dealer to determine the GCWR of your motorhome.)
2.) The tongue weight (the amount of weight or pressure pushing down on the hitch), MUST NOT exceed 10% of the hitch capacity. (Example: If your hitch capacity is 5,000 lbs. of pulling capacity, DO NOT exceed 500 lbs. of weight on the hitch; if your hitch capacity is 3,500, DO NOT exceed 350 lbs. of weight on the hitch, etc.) Check the tag on your hitch for pulling and weight limits.
3.) Always use safety chains between your coach and the towed object. NEVER attach the chains to the bumper. Cross the chains under the trailer tongue and allow slack in the chains for turning corners.
4.) NEVER attempt short back up distances when towing. Most towing equipment is designed to be pulled forward, not pushed backward. Doing so could result in damage to the motorhome, towed object, or the towing device.
NOTE: IF YOUR MOTORHOME SHOULD REQUIRE TOWING, CONSULT YOUR CHASSIS MANUFACTURER’S OWNER’S MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT TOWING PROCEDURE.
BRAKING SYSTEM
Your motorhome braking system is rated for operating within the GVWR, (gross vehicle weight rating), NOT for GCWR, (gross combined weight rating). NEVER exceed the GVWR or the GCWR.
WARNING A SEPARATE FUNCTIONING BRAKING SYSTEM IS REQUIRED FOR ANY TOWED VEHICLE OR TRAILER, WEIGHING MORE THAN 1,000
LBS., WHEN FULLY LOADED.
FAILURE TO HEED ANY PART OF THE WARNING ABOVE WARNINGS COULD CAUSE AN
ACCIDENT, RESULTING IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #4

Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have a 2002 P32 26' Chevy Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 l engine on our Georgie Boy The Cruise. I cannot find any listing of the GCVW anywhere either. It's not on the sticker with the GVWR.

Anyone know where I can get a REPAIR (not Owner's) manual for this? I'm also having problems finding a good parts supplier for this. Suggestions? Thanks.
dessert1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:40 AM   #5

Be mindfull that most motorhomes can't use an equalizing hitch due to the long overhang in the back and the lighter duty frame rail extensions most coach builders use. Even if the hitch as installed on your coach is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight you still need to take into account how your coach is loaded and if it is already back heavy then putting 500 lbs on the hitch can leave you with a very unstable coach on a winding bumpy road or on a windy day.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Did you try behind the drivers seat or by the door? ours is on the wall behind the drivers seat/door
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, look around the motor home for a sticker, Generall in a cubbord or closet, and may be on the inside of the door... This sticker shows the curb weight of the house on wheels, the capacity of the assorted tanks and .. This is important.. The MAXIMUM COMBINED GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT.

Now load it for travel and park it on a scale

Subtract the total weight from the MAX CGVW

If less than 5,000 pounds that is your tow limit

If more than 5000 pounds.. 5000 is your tow limit.

That said.. I've seen people way over the tow limit.

I'm sitting on a workhorse as I type this.

Now... There is a SLIGHT chance someone put a 10K hitch on that puppy, (in which case all references to 5K become 10K,) but odds are it's going to be MAX CGVW = Scale Weight.

OH, while you are weighing it, get 4 corner weights so you can properly inflate, your tires.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #8

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Found the sticker for GVWR, etc, but it doesn't list GCWR.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, what model Workhorse is it? and.. Any of the numbers on that sticker 26,000 pounds (CGVW) If so,, that's it.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #10

Georgie Boy Owners Club
No Combined weight on any of the stickers. Found them both - the GVWR(15k)/GAWR (6k/10k) and Appliances/Htr/Etc. models sticker. It is a 2002 P32 chassis w/ 8.1l, Georgie Boy 2450 DS (The Suite).
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
You will have to go to your chassis manufacturer for that information?
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, workhorse