Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Tranny Fluid Change

What is the best method to refill the transmission after a drain?
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only way I know is through the dipstick hole. That's on an Allison 1000.

I built a funnel with some PVC pipe added on and attach it with a pipe cleaner on the firewall so it's easier to pour the fluid in SLOWLY.

The angle of the dipstick shaft is such that it takes a while for the fluid to go down into the transmission.

I buy my transmission fluid in quart containers as a gallon container would be almost impossible to pour from inside the engine compartment.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a 5 gal. bucket to drain the fluid into, then marked the bucket for measuring. put the same amount on new fluid in the bucket, then used a pump up gallon garden sprayer to put the fluid in thru the dip stick hole. went pretty fast being under pressure.....take the wand off tho. hope this helps.
Mabry
Mabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I found one of these at walmart. It screws right on to the bottle and has flo control. I will probably need to find a longer tubing but am going to give it a try.
W22 Workhorse
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
The wind finally died down today so I did the tranny fluid change. I first marked a 5 gallon bucket at the 1 gallon, 2 gallon, 2 gallon + 1 quart, 2 gallon + 2 quart, 2 gallon + 3 quart, and 3 gallon mark. I purchased 3 gallons of PB Autrans Syn 295. Finally I slid the bucket under the tranny and pulled the plug. 1 gallon, 2 gallons, 3 gallons (oh no!). Imagine my anxiety when it went past the 3 gallon mark with no sign of slowing down. After pulling the pan and draining the screw on filter I measured 3 gallons 3 quarts and 3 cups. Off to the store I went for another gallon.
Well all went fine. There was absolutely no metal in the bottom of the pan. Some fuzz on the magnet in the pan and filter. I was thinking I should replace the main filter since it was right there after pulling the pan but didn’t want to run back to the store. Would probably have to order one anyway. Also I figured since the fluid was so clean and the main change is only recommended during a rebuild, I didn’t worry much about it. The filler I bought worked out well. I placed a tarp under the motorhome just in case but didn’t spill a drop. Torque specs on the pan bolts are 18-21. I torqued them to 18. The drain bolt is 22-30. I torqued it to 25 which sure seemed tight. Next I started it up and ran through the gears leaving it in drive and reverse for about 2 minutes each then put it in park and checked the level. Lastly I shut it down and checked for leaks, none found.
W22 Workhorse
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
What holds the main filter in an Allison transmission?
The reason I ask is because when I did a fluid change I removed the pan and the filter appeared as though it was about to fall out. It seemed the only thing holding it in was maybe an o ring and the filter just kind of rests in the bottom of the pan.
W22 Workhorse
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The only way I know is through the dipstick hole. That's on an Allison 1000.
Same with our 3000 MH trans.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
√√√
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
Next I started it up and ran through the gears leaving it in drive and reverse for about 2 minutes each then put it in park and checked the level. Lastly I shut it down and checked for leaks, none found.
There is no recommendation to replace the internal filter other than during a transmission overhaul. We have spoken about this in the past and often however if that's what you need to do then it's OK by me.

I'm just changing fluids and external filters; 98,000 miles indicated. Runs great!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
What holds the main filter in an Allison transmission?
The reason I ask is because when I did a fluid change I removed the pan and the filter appeared as though it was about to fall out. It seemed the only thing holding it in was maybe an o ring and the filter just kind of rests in the bottom of the pan.
The filter neck slides into a rubber gromet and the bottom of the filter rest on the pan. Don't forget to switch the magnet on the spin on filter when you change it. Tony
Tony in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony in SC View Post
The filter neck slides into a rubber gromet and the bottom of the filter rest on the pan. Don't forget to switch the magnet on the spin on filter when you change it. Tony
Thanks Tony
I was wondering if anyone was going to answer my question.
What you described is exactly how mine is. I feel better now. Now I won’t have to pull the pan again to get another look at it. I did clean and replace the spin on filter magnet and cleaned the one in the bottom of the pan too. Looks like I am ready to go.

Thanks again
W22 Workhorse
Old 03-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had my fluid changed at the local Allison dealer they used a 5 gal bucket and a small pump they said was purchased at Harbor Freight.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #13

Ok; after checking with the local dealer on a transmission service on my Allison 1000, I have decided I would rather crawl under my rig than pay the price they are asking. I could use some tips here from very basic to any subltle things some of you may have learned. I would really appreciate the help here. I'm beginnng to think I'm getting too old to do this type of work, but who knows.

Thanks
Quinten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #14

Is a torque wrench a must here?
Quinten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid