RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
------------- ---- I know that the UP Grade Brake is totally automatic and it'll downshift all the way to the required gear all on its own. I am not certain if a TGB will do this or whether it needs to be repetitively requested to do so by tapping on the brake.
-------- ---------------------- -------
------Either one of the systems is a good thing to have. The UP Grade Brake brings 2005 functionality to 2001 - 2004 motorhomes.
Driver, have you actually experienced this "all on its own" effect in a driving situation??
I have not.
I was under the impression that UP Grade Brake does require additional brake tapping to get into the next lower gear!
So far, my driving experience with the UPGB has not been on hilly enough situations to demonstrate what you described. A single brake application has initiated a down shift to 3rd which easily maintained the speed at that grade at max rpm of about 40XX. The speed neither increase or decreased. So I suppose parameters for the next shift down were not clearly present, thus unable to confirm your interpretations..

The UPGB upgrade is probably one of the best values I have added. I will continue my impressions as I accumulate additional grade exposure during the coming months.

Marty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #30
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
Driver, have you actually experienced this "all on its own" effect in a driving situation?? I have not. I was under the impression that UP Grade Brake does require additional brake tapping to get into the next lower gear!
I have entered a grade at whatever rate of speed (on a 2 lane state or county road) I was doing and began descending perhaps faster than one might consider routine however in my experience and after I got on the brake to moderate the descent, the AU grade brake downshifted the tranny all the way to 2nd gear. I believe that there is some type of process that will take the tranny down to the lowest gear it feels meets the demand at the moment. A routine downshift may take me to 3rd however when it needs to, it'll go to 2nd all on its own depending on the forward rate of speed and time on the brake pedal. It'll come to you sooner or later but it'll happen. Hang in there.

The grade brake just seems to be in the right gear descending almost always and the thought process is no longer required regarding as to when to disengage and upshift which is automatically determined when the driver steps on the gas.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Mike, I'll continue hanging.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know with the Genuine Allison as speed picks up I apply the brakes and it downshifts ONE GEAR.. I release and re-apply it may (if going slow enough) downshift a 2nd or 3rd (I don't know how far down it will go) gear

But as it picks up speed, (if the hill is long and steep enough) it will upshift to keep the pistons inside the engine.. And then I have to brake down a gear or two again.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #33

OD upgrade

"that is the information i received at brazels in centralia when they did my od upgrade to change the speed from 55 mph to 48 mph on march 8, 2010."

Dan

What did the overdrive upgrade cost?

Do you know of anyone in the Midwest that does this upgrade?

Thanks
NavlAv8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navl AV8R View Post
"that is the information i received at brazels in centralia when they did my od upgrade to change the speed from 55 mph to 48 mph on march 8, 2010."

Dan

What did the overdrive upgrade cost?

Do you know of anyone in the Midwest that does this upgrade?

Thanks
you would have to call or email brazels or oemy to find out where the grade brake upgrade can be done. the od upgrade is a small part of the grb upgrade. i think it is necessary to have the moho on a chassis dyno (thats how they did mine), so that kinda limits who can do it. i know that brazels was set up to do the grb at the quartzsite rally because that is where i was going to get it done. i didn't get there.
for the od upgrade, brazels charged me $200 labor plus ''shop supplies, etc'' + tax. i bought some other parts so i don't remember the total for just the od upgrade.
normally, the change is from 55 mph to 51 mph. so far, i am happy with the 48 mph od at 1600 rpm at light throttle. i have 19.5 wheels. your moho may be different from mine.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '18 MB CLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #35
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The 50 MPH shift point that I now have works great on 22.5 inch tires.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
To Paraphrase DriVer:

There is nothing wrong with a Workhorse Chassis or Brakes, your just ruining your transmission incorrectly.

"Never Give UP, Never Surrender"

Dick
Old 04-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=DriVer; ----------------------------
------------Neither the TGB or the UAGB will function on straight and level surfaces. -----------------------.[/QUOTE].

My understanding from Steve Brazel is that negative slip at the torque converter is monitored as an input for the need for a down shift.

While on level to gentle downgrades, that input is not satisfied and no down shift occurs.

It would seem to me that that might imply that the torque converter is not locked up-- OR --if it is locked up that some slippage occurs and is calibrated as a function of the steepness of a grade.
What ever, it seems to work nicely..

Marty
Old 05-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #38

Lockup

Do we experience torque convertor lockup in all the gears in the little Allison? I have a four speed auto in a 91 f-bird that when the throttle is modulated correctly, feels like a seven speed. This is caused by the lockup in the top three gears. I can't feel the one in first gear.

(2nd one, 1st was a 2000 - FORDFORDFORD)
obbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #39
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by obbm View Post
I can't feel the one in first gear.
obbm, The torque converter locks up in all speeds except 1st gear.