RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Transmission Drain Plug

Ok, I it just my luck, or do all Workhorse 8.1 Chevy Engine not have a transmission drain plug? It's not the Allison Transmission, but the standard four speed with OD. Can't remember the model number right now. I think it the 4L80-E Model. If not has anyone just drilled and tapped to put a drain plug. Or is the metal to thin to tap for threads? Real pain just to drop the whole pan for over servicing!

hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the older transmissions they have a machine you can hook up to the cooler lines so you can pump out the old transmission fluid and add new fluid. Otherwise you have to drop the pan.

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #3

Drop the pan and either buy a new pan with a drain plug or have one welded on.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #4

Pan is too thin to tap. Must have a bung welded on if you really want a plug. Not worth it to me, as how many times are you planning on draining the fluid? It's really not too bad if you leave a couple bolts in the front of the pan until it drains some. Then loosen the bolts a little at a time to allow the pan the drop slowly.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

There is a bulkhead style fitting with a plug made for doing what you want
Old 12-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Just took the pan down enough to drain some fluid out. Still just barely over the cold level mark. I will start it up later and run it through the gears then check it when it is hot. Hope it will work out. Not really hard to drop, just messy, It's for sure you have to have a large pan to catch the fluid. Thanks for all the advice. I still like the idea of just having a plug. I will weld one, or buy a pan with plug for the next time. Thanks for all the advice.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
One of the happiest days with my workhorse was when I looked under there and saw a plug on the Allison transmission. I still removed the pan, but after I drained it via the drain plug. Made dropping the pan a lot less messy. Also I found the pan gasket was rubber encapsulated metal, in other words, reusable. Allisonís got their stuff together.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
One of the happiest days with my workhorse was when I looked under there and saw a plug on the Allison transmission. I still removed the pan, but after I drained it via the drain plug. Made dropping the pan a lot less messy. Also I found the pan gasket was rubber encapsulated metal, in other words, reusable. Allisonís got their stuff together.
I'm curious why you dropped the pan.

Allison says you don't need to replace the internal filter unless the transmission is disassembled for repair work.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #9

Somewhat related, has anyone found a good measuring method that would allow you to measure the fluid removed so you can then measure what new fluid goes in? I probably need to do the second and final Transynd fill next summer.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a plastic 1 gallon empty water jug and marked off quart increments using a measuring cup. Works for me and fluid level has always come up to the right spot on the stick. I also wait several weeks before draining. Usually get 12-13 qts..
Old 12-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #11

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I welded a drain plug into the pan on our old Chevy transmission. Then I put a temperature sender in it. Gauge in the dash. That way I could keep an eye on the temperature on hard pulls.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Somewhat related, has anyone found a good measuring method that would allow you to measure the fluid removed so you can then measure what new fluid goes in? I probably need to do the second and final Transynd fill next summer.
White 5 gal bucket that I filled with water one quart and marked the outside with a permanent marker. Put a lid on the bucket and head on over to the local parts shop that has the recycling tanks to dispose of the fluid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171217_110218.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	185947  
Old 12-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 5320 View Post
Pan is too thin to tap. Must have a bung welded on if you really want a plug. Not worth it to me, as how many times are you planning on draining the fluid? It's really not too bad if you leave a couple bolts in the front of the pan until it drains some. Then loosen the bolts a little at a time to allow the pan the drop slowly.
Not so. I have nearly 300,000 on my 4L80E (95 Chev K2500 Suburban) thanks to a drain plug I installed in the pan at 60,000. The drain plug is a hollow bolt that bolts into a hole you drill in the pan; another bolt, the new drain plug, fills the hollow. Then, I took my new drain plug to a machine shop, gave the dude $20 and a temperature sending unit, and asked him to drill a hole in the new drain plug and instal the sending unit therein. I never remove the sender from the drain plug. To drain, I remove the drain plug from the hollow bolt. Work good, last long time.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #14

You should remove the oil pan and clean the sludge from the bottom of the pan. Most transmissions are designed with out a drain plug to encourage the pan removal and filter replacement when changing fluid. There also is a magnet on the inside of the pan that should be checked for metal shavings and cleaned. If you talk to any transmission mechanic, dirty/not regular oil change is the major cause of transmission failures.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission