RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, just bought a Workhorse Owner's Manual for my 03 Southwind 32vs. About 4 pages in it says "This table shows WCC model numbers and their corrsponding chassis type as they are referenced in this manual.....and it lest several Model numbers and hassis Types......the only motorhome chase type listed is for a W22 and I believe I have a W20..are they similar enough that Workhorse only uses the one manual or did they send me the wrong one?? One of the reasons I bought it was for a diagram of the fuse block and I don't see one for the W-20 only the W22, which if I'm remembering right, I don't think is the same as the one I have.

Transmission question.......The other day, I got the Transmission Fail Warning Light/indicator (exclamation mark inside a notched circle.) Anyway, it wouldn't up shift, so I pulled over and shut the engine off and waited a minute or so, and the started up and has been fine ever since. I believe the problem was a few minutes earlier I had just started out and I didn't have the selector in a detent for D, was kinda in between and when I moved the selector, I momentarily went into neutral and then back into Drive.....that's when the transmission wouldn't upshift. Was this just a computer glitch or is something else going on?? Thanks for the help.
Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, just bought a Workhorse Owner's Manual for my 03 Southwind 32vs. About 4 pages in it says "This table shows WCC model numbers and their corrsponding chassis type as they are referenced in this manual.....and it lest several Model numbers and hassis Types......the only motorhome chase type listed is for a W22 and I believe I have a W20..are they similar enough that Workhorse only uses the one manual or did they send me the wrong one?? One of the reasons I bought it was for a diagram of the fuse block and I don't see one for the W-20 only the W22, which if I'm remembering right, I don't think is the same as the one I have.

Transmission question.......The other day, I got the Transmission Fail Warning Light/indicator (exclamation mark inside a notched circle.) Anyway, it wouldn't up shift, so I pulled over and shut the engine off and waited a minute or so, and the started up and has been fine ever since. I believe the problem was a few minutes earlier I had just started out and I didn't have the selector in a detent for D, was kinda in between and when I moved the selector, I momentarily went into neutral and then back into Drive.....that's when the transmission wouldn't upshift. Was this just a computer glitch or is something else going on?? Thanks for the help.
Brian

Old 12-17-2005, 04:28 AM   #3

As for ? #1. Yes the W-20 and W-22 are the same except for GVW. W-20 is a 20,000# chassis and the W-22 is a 22,000# chassis. ? #2 I can not help you with.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:29 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by supercub:
Was this just a computer glitch or is something else going on?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Brian, First off rvten is absolutely correct regarding the 20 & 22.

Regarding #2 I would say without hesitation that this was not a "computer glitch" but it was more so the computer taking proactive steps to protect its hardware and your wallet.

It's going to be difficult to hurt an Allison transmission and your engine due to operator error. I believe what you experienced is what I've been talking about all along and that is that our motorhomes are essentially run by a computer and our job is simply to point the vehicle down the road and enjoy the ride.

Your shutting down the ignition and briefly waiting and restarting your motorhome cures many anomalies that may occur to our power trains. Once you essentially re-boot the system by restarting your engine the computers go back into a normal operation mode where all is well once again. (unless something is retained in the computer as a code) You're telling us that the problem hasn't returned affirms this.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks DriVer for the info. I feel better now.
Brian
Old 12-18-2005, 05:44 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Supercub, you can receive a wiring diagram from Fleetwood.com which covers the coach and some of the WH chassis. Use fleetwood.com and it should be out to you in a few days.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:00 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You probably already know this but the auxiliary panel is located on the firewall to the left of center of the driving position.

While I was in the Central Florida Fairground this past November at the Florida State Good Sam rally I was approached by a gentleman who presented me with 1 each electronic flasher that his wife found while vacuuming the floor.

With the flasher missing from its socket neither the turn signals or the 4-way flashers will work. Quite a situation when your away from home with no signals.

The gentleman told me that he looked and looked but couldn't find the socket for the flasher. Now this was no easy feat for this guy because he was a senior citizen and crawling around on his back under the dash must have been challenging for him to say the least. He said he must've looked for an hour. The pin-out on the short flasher is a conventional L shape with 2 blades.

The motorhome was a 2005 Bounder so it's likely that all Fleetwood gas motorhomes may have the flasher located in the same place. It's located in a separate cable harness that runs somewhat high just behind the lower edge of the dash, left of center from the steering column from right to left. The reason why he couldn't see the socket is because the modular plug was on top of the wires and was sort of out of sight.

If this happens to you, now you know where it is.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote