Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2018, 05:13 AM   #1

Transmission Temperature and a Deep Allison Transmission Pan

I have been participating in a discussion in the Allison forum on swapping out the transmission pan for a deep version that also allows a temperature probe to be installed. Curious if any Workhorse owners have found the need to do this or have seen temperatures that are concerning (for those that monitor the temperature). My W24 currently has the shallow pan. I am going to do my second Transynd swap next summer to finish flushing out the Dextron III so that is a perfect time to do the swap.

Here is a link to that discussion for anyone interested:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/auxi...er-418444.html
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #2

The more oil/fluid the better imho. However as far as heat dissipation due to the extra fluid I doubt it. Do the finned pans help with heat dissipation probably to some extent but I doubt it is that much but a few degrees is a few degrees and sometimes that few degrees could keep you from hitting the tipping point. More fluid will take longer to heat up and longer to cool down but it wont necessarily run cooler due to the added capacity. If you are concerned with heat a real cooler might be a better more effective alternative. However a deep pan will add capacity which is good at least for me, it will probably allow for a temp sensor, it will probably come with a drain plug which if your current pan doesn't have will be a nice addition, it might come with a reusable gasket that is also a nice addition, it will help with cooling but I wouldn't expect too much in that regard. It is not going to run 20 deg cooler or anything like that maybe a few degrees.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

Some of the diesel truck guys are reporting 30 degree temperature changes before and after.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

I did install a deep after market pan on my W-22. It's the finned aluminum type with a drain plug and additional port for a temp gauge. I found the pan unexpectedly on the local Craigslist for a price I just couldn't pass up. I like the idea of the extra fluid and wanted to have a temp gauge for the trans but can not honestly say if it cools any better than the original did. I can say that we have been all over the western mountain passes in the last two years pulling a 4100 lb toad and never saw trans temps in excess of 180 degrees. Hope this helps with your decision
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I live in the desert SW, New Mexico and mostly travel in the SW in the summer time, I have never seen my trans temp over 200. On flatland temps usually run 170, monitoring the temp via scangauge, just wondering why you are considering this mod? Are you experiencing high trans temps?

Just wanted to add, that i am most of the time towing my CJ7 3800 LBS, also going up grades of 7%
Old 11-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just as CJ my temps consistently run 170-180 as monitored on my scan gauge. No need to replace the pan on my W24.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #7

Our p-32 8.1 runs 160-180 towing a tracker. Occasionally have seen 190 on long 6-7% down grades in 2nd.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
Just as CJ my temps consistently run 170-180 as monitored on my scan gauge. No need to replace the pan on my W24.

Do you have the five speed? My toad is around 4,600 lbs. A lot of the responses here seem to indicate the deep pan isn’t required to keep temperatures in check.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #9

you can get hose fittings that go in the cooler lines and allow for a temperature sensor to screw in the side.

I think those guys that "see a 30 deg change after" are the usual guys that buy performance stuff and have to lie about it to feel good about wasting money. Oh yeah - those headers got me 40 hp - even though the engine has never been on a dyno.....

replace the original cooler with a larger earls or a setrab and you'll be much happier than with the pan.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Do you have the five speed? My toad is around 4,600 lbs. A lot of the responses here seem to indicate the deep pan isn’t required to keep temperatures in check.

Yeah 5 speed here. My toad is close to 5k. All of my trips to date have been on the east coast however.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
Yeah 5 speed here. My toad is close to 5k. All of my trips to date have been on the east coast however.

Thanks. I have several months to think about this but it appears the deeper pan is not necessary especially if you are conservative when climbing hills.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
trans cooler

Im going to add an external trans cooler Hayden 1260 as recommended by a workhorse factory rep. All my driving is on hills and grades here in the west.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #13

It took my quite a while to get my serial number, had to use a boroscope and take multiple photos because the plate was hard to read and in a bad location. Checked it on the Allison "My Transmission" web site and I already have a deep pan on the transmission so I am not going to change it.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #14

Hey VN. I have trans temp gauges on both of our Workhorse chassis. coaches. The W22 Allison MH1000 i read through the Scan Gauge and through a Max Tow gauge. Even pulling at max GCWR I rarely see over 170f. And both the Max Tow and SG2 indicate the temps are only about 3* apart. That coach is in Alaska so the ambient temp is always cool.

On my W24 Allison MH2100 i just have the Max Tow. I pull a 4400lb toad. I rarely see over 180f when in the hills. This coach is in the southwest but Ive seen ambient temps above 100f when under way. I dont get to crazy going up hills. On hot days I just take it easy and take my time. Im sure if I was trying to maintain the speed limit up 7% grades my tranny temp would be hotter.

The pan on my MH 2100 appears to be about 1” deeper than the pan on my MH1000.

Hope this helps.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, transmission