Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Trip Report

I realize that this is a camping trip report, but I wanted to report on the performance of my 04 W-20 on our, just completed nearly 3000 mile trip to Florida and return to Tennessee. We left in early November, drove to Miami, then to Key West, then to Walt Disney World, then back to Miami, again down to Key West, and finally back to middle Tennessee.

In all respects, my rig performed very well. I have high expectations and she met them. The engine gave me plenty of power, knowing that we were not out west or up in the short, but steep mountains of Pennsylvania where we were in the spring. My Allison is a retran; the original transmission failed in 2008 and was replaced. The tranny did great. My scan gauge showed a TFT that never exceeded 154 degrees with most temps down at 140-150 range. That Transynd is good stuff.

It burned virtually no oil until well into the return trip. My opinion regarding the using of about one quart of oil was that the dino that was in was getting old and started to be used. Only one quart for a 3000 mile trip is good.

I posted previously that I had 4 new Koni FSD's, a rear anti sway bar and a front trac bar installed earlier this year. Well, lots of heavy truck traffic was encountered as well as lots of ruts and expansion joints driven over on the interstates and the the suspension upgrades really helped. The new springs that I installed for the HWH jacks kept the jacks up and the darn bells and buzzers quiet.

Anyway, thats my positive trip report and I'm happy to post it. We've had our share of problems on the road and it is a pleasure to not have any this time.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wait until your next trip! If I ever took a long trip with no problems I would be very very worried about what was ready to go wrong the next time I drove it down our road. I have owned four motorhomes, and it is a good thing I never kept a record of the number of hours I spent working on them.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
Anyway, thats my positive trip report and I'm happy to post it. We've had our share of problems on the road and it is a pleasure to not have any this time.
Bob, Our rig performs well and we have every expectation that it will continue to do so. Since I have fixed the open radiator shroud leak (bleed air), the engine temps have been in my opinion nominal and within expectations.

We are indicating ~95,000 miles and each trip is enjoyable although we have had some exciting times. We'll just keep on truckin'

I am not going to place myself in the frame of mind about what if it fails. If this feeling preceded me turning the key and putting the horse's nose in the wind, I'd take up knitting.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to realize that the majority of folks travel without any problems, so they feel no need to post. The ones that have problems post on the various forums.
Enjoy your MH and when you set out only think about the good times you will have.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5 jeeper View Post
Wait until your next trip! If I ever took a long trip with no problems I would be very very worried about what was ready to go wrong the next time I drove it down our road. I have owned four motorhomes, and it is a good thing I never kept a record of the number of hours I spent working on them.
Oh my, we certainly have had our share of troubles on the road over the years, eg: Allison failing, being towed a couple of times, waiting for a part in Tok, Alaska for four days, etc, etc. But, I must say that I do not let past problems ruin future trips. Be aware of what may happen and do what I can to avoid them, but that's it.

It's simply this: Over the years that I've been contributing to this forum and reading what others have posted, much of the information is negative in nature. Rightfully so for those who have had problems, me included. But, this trip was great insofar as the performance of my RV was concerned and I just wanted to report it.

And hey Mike, your Winnie is at 95000. My Tiffin is just turning 50000 and I finally got it just like I like it. Another words, got the bugs out!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was just seeing what kind of reaction I would get. It is rare to take a long trip with no problems, as there are so many things that can go wrong. If I ever take a long trip with no problems I will not know how to act or what to do with all the time in camp. I made the mistake of thinking that now our motorhome is three years old with only 16,000 miles our trip this summer would be trouble free, WRONG! Brake buddy, transfer switch, inverter, Allison leaking oil, just getting warm water, a lot of trouble shooting, some on line parts ordered, some local, some repaired, some patched, and some lived with. Three months and 6000 miles later we returned home after a great trip we both enjoyed. When I read about people taking a long trip with no problems I know that one day I will have a long trouble free trip. Sorry if I upset anyone, I did not mean to.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:05 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree Coastie, When you have these trips when every thing works just the way it is supposed to, and you don't even have any thing to fix when you get home, it is well worth sharing that info with the rest of us. I've had these trips and shared that info also. I was only chastized once by one member who insinuated a trip with no problems was so common it was not worth mentioning. Well those are my favorite and most fun trips and I like to share that info too.
It sure would be nice to have a crystal ball to know what will break next, and when, though, would'nt it. I have'nt driven mine since last July, I sure will be proud if it has no problems when we go to Moab this winter.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
cj5 jeeper.....no problems here, I totally understand what you were saying. And Max, right back at ya my friend, a crystal ball would certainly do the trick.

Well, I just got finished winterizing my rig as it's supposed to go into the mid teens on Monday and Tuesday nights here in Tennessee. We just go back from Florida, Key West at NAS Bigsbee Famcamp no less and now we're getting ready for the deep freeze. Everyone else is headed south and we headed north. Maybe I need to have my head examined!

Bob
Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
And hey Mike, your Winnie is at 95000. My Tiffin is just turning 50000 and I finally got it just like I like it. Another words, got the bugs out!
At the end of the year here I expect to turn over 100K miles. Out next trip will clock out at a little over 1K miles. We're looking forward to it. We'll soon be a Centenarian + 000.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CoastieSCPO and others who have good news to share, please continue to do so. I must say that when I first visiting the form I found all the bad news and some negativity a little depressing and wondering what I had gotten myself into. Now of course I realize that this is the place to ask question and share info, but still it's nice to see a good news story every once in a while.
To those of you who have taken the time to answer my posts, thank you. I hope to someday be able to pay it forward.

Happy New Year everyone. Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Now of course I realize that this is the place to ask question and share info, but still it's nice to see a good news story every once in a while..
The only reason you don't see an equal number of positive posts is because good news does not sell newspapers.

It's common knowledge that; "bad news will travel half way around the world before good news can put its boots on!" (poetic license)
Old 12-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Bob, it does sound like you got it backwards. We just got to Florida today, just in time to avoid the big freeze coming from the North. Glad your trip was problem free.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
The ratio of good to bad trips is probably over 100 to 1. The goods ones seldom get reported. React accordingly.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote