RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #1

Trouble with HWH Kickdown Jacks

I am not sure if it is operator error or? but I seem to have issues every time I try to use the leveling jacks.

Sometimes I get the 4 red lights saying all 4 are pointed down, but when I get out and look, a random one will be up still. Sometimes they leak down, but most of the time they stay down. But the worst is sometimes they fold over like this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacks1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	218017
Shouldn't something keep them from folding over? This picture was a relatively level spot.

KWiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Commercial Member

first thing, download service manual for your system. this will give you a guide to diagnosing the problem.

are they leaking down, or extending before kicking down.? or are they not kicking all the way down?
either way, there is a procedure to diagnose and repair the problem.
if you need a service manual, i can send you one if you identify the system, joystick, push button manual or automatic? the year of the coach or the year the system was installed.

i can help. text 1-602-549-3638 or email at pfmaddox@att.net
paul maddox

i work for hwh corp. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.

azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #3

Leveling jacks
bluemoontwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #4

Thanks Paul, I have sent a email to you with the information.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #5

I am back at this. Paul never responded to my email. And shortly after that the jacks completely quit working. I finally got back to looking at them and figure out it was the switch.

Warning for anyone who has a switch go bad, the average switch at the auto store won't work. They are slightly longer, which I filed out the hole for, but they are also taller which keeps them from fitting.

I got the old switch working again for now, but still having the other issues. Right now the left front says it is down when it is about at a 45º angle, and it won't go any farther. I was able to go underneath and pull it so it was straight down. From that point it seemed to work fine. There didn't seem to be any binding or anything. In the past I have had the same basic thing go on with one of the other jacks.

On a side note, I would have thought that if I only moved the front lever out, and then moved the hydraulic lever to the left the left front would be the only one that moves, but nothing moves? Is that the way it is supposed to work?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Commercial Member

sorry, i must have missed the email. so anyway, i have attached a 210/225 service manual. hope this helps.
first, i would clean the contact ring inside the joystick. remove the top and look in the bottom of the opening.
you will see a round contact circuit board. clean it up with a pencil eraser. vacuum the cavity out. dust, grime, and animal hair are a few of the common things ive found there.
make sure the springs on the cover are at 90 degrees from the surface.
the only place there can be an internal leak is in the joystick valve body. there are poppet valves down in the bottom of the cavity. spray them all with wd40 and wipe them off. this will remove any
substance accumulated on the pins showing.
if this doesnt help, the valve should be rebuilt.
there are a couple of things to do on the jacks themselves.
use wd40 or penetrating oil to clean the pivot bolts on the jacks. if these bolts are rusty, they will resist kicking vertical, allowing the cylinder to extend first. like it looks in your photo.
also make sure to soak the springs with wd40. this will help clean the road grime out of the coils on the springs.
the jacks are designed to operate in pairs.. moving the lever to the front, will extend both front jacks, until they reach even pressure, then they should lift together.

moving the lever to the left will extend left front and left rear jacks in a similar fashion.

hope this helps.
please text me your email. i cant find anything in my email account. i will continue to help if i can. let me know if the manual attached correctly.
1-602-549-3638
paul

azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks