Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Troubleshooting the Chevy P-30 Chassis & Engine

I have a 1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow motor home, model 37J. I know this was built off the Chevy P-30 chassis, and has a 454 Chevy engine. Finding information for troubleshooting and repairs is becoming a very frustrating challenge!

I know that there is a plug under the dash for plugging in a diagnostic computer. Does anyone know if this might be one of those, consumer available type, small hand-held computers one can purchase, or is it one of those large, 'dealer only' type computers?

Thanks!
jb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
p 30

I had a 1991 p chassis under a ultra star it had a OBD 1 connector under the dash you can buy them but they must support OBD 1 they are hard to find i got one at auto zone it reads OBD 1 and 2 and some imports about 250.00 I will warn you that OBD1 doesnt provide alot of info like the OBD2 does.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I found a OBD II wifi plug in for my 2002. I downloaded an ap with my smart phone and can not only read codes, I can watch fuel milage, rpm, and many other data points in real time. I used it to read knock sensor code on motorhome.
The OBD II reader supports all OBD II protocols and I paid about $40 for it. I paid $5 for smart phone ap.
I've also used it on my Chrysler SUV and Ford Taurus for reading Mass Air Flow sensor engine code and replaced MAF sensor myself.
Best device I've bought in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #4

I have a cp9001 actron look it up and if it will work pm me.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

I once diagnosed a failed transmission sensor using the OBDI connector and a volt meter. The service manual provided the voltage range and the pinout on the OBDI connector. Took it on a test drive and watched the voltage, it showed very low voltage, well out of range. Replaced the sensor and my shifting problem was fixed. Volt/Ohm meters can be very handy.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I really appreciate this information! This is what I'm looking for.

But I'm a bit confused... First thing I did was 'google', OBD II, and received a few hits on it. Advertisements from amazon, Harbor Freight, Auto Zone, ect... And in the $40 range.

What I had read on one if them was, "Read and clear trouble codes in all OBDII compliant vehicles from 1996 and newer."

I have a 1992 model year. So do I need to find an OBD I or OBD II? Am I looking at the right part? One reply mentioned it costing $250.

My current problem is a temperature gauge that's not working. I did find out that there are 'two' sensors in this, one on the drivers side of the engine, the other on a crossover pipe.

I have the locations of the sensors, I even have part numbers. But I don't want to spend about $50 to replace both of them, then possibly find out that wasn't the problem.

And of course I want a diagnostic tool for any problems that might develop in the future.

Getting a plug with a WiFi option would be great, just a code reader would be fine with me as well. Naturally, whatever might be cheaper would be of more interest to me.

I'm on a fixed disability income, so funds are very limited. Another reason I don't want to just replace both sensors, and 'hope' that solves my issue. I don't want to replace something that might be working as it should.

Again, I really appreciate the replies, but I need something 'a bit' more specific.

Like maybe a brand name, part or model number of the analyzer/code reader. Once I have that, I can look around the Internet to find it.

Can anyone get that information for me?

I don't want to buy the wrong thing for this particular model year, or something that won't help me fix this current problem.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is an ODB 1 NOT a ODB 2.
My 95 P30 chassis had one. On it there were two pins/holes that could be shorted and the engine light would flash the codes. The bad news is I don't remember which pins and I also don't remember where I found the info on how to do it.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need the 1. My 93 Kountry Star had issues (P30), I took to the Chevy medium truck tacitly, they had to order the adapter for there machine to read the old codes. Sometimes the tech is too far out of date for me, so we upgraded to the 2001 we have now.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might try this:
How to read older GM OBD diagnostic codes for free

OBD 1 is good for finding things like bad O2 sensor. I don't think it will help with your Temp Gauge problem.

Let me know if you get a different code than one on the list (link to list of codes is in the procedure). Somewhere on my back-up drive I should have an expanded list I used on an old Cadillac, but I would have to search a bit for it then send it to you via PM.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
scan tool

I have a innova modle 3120 it reads both OBD 1& 2 got it at auto zone about 250.00 i like it because it works on all my stuff Mike
Old 05-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a link to this procedure below at #9.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that information. I was looking at the code list, and also don't think it's going to help me with troubleshooting the temperature gauge problems. There is a code for a high and low temperature history, (I guess), but I don't see how it can tell me if the sensors are working.

If you find that expanded list, and it shows anything that might help me, I really would appreciate receiving that information.

I 'think' there is a way to test the sensors with an Ohm Meter, but haven't run across that information yet.

Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
You might try this:
How to read older GM OBD diagnostic codes for free

OBD 1 is good for finding things like bad O2 sensor. I don't think it will help with your Temp Gauge problem.

Let me know if you get a different code than one on the list (link to list of codes is in the procedure). Somewhere on my back-up drive I should have an expanded list I used on an old Cadillac, but I would have to search a bit for it then send it to you via PM.
Good site. I saved it in case someone asks later.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb60 View Post
Thanks for that information. I was looking at the code list, and also don't think it's going to help me with troubleshooting the temperature gauge problems. There is a code for a high and low temperature history, (I guess), but I don't see how it can tell me if the sensors are working.

If you find that expanded list, and it shows anything that might help me, I really would appreciate receiving that information.

I 'think' there is a way to test the sensors with an Ohm Meter, but haven't run across that information yet.

Thanks again.
Temp was one of the problems. There were two sensors and the lines to them were burnt. They replaced the sensors with aftermarket units and put a heat shield on the new wiring. The only downside was the aftermarket sensor gave a high indication, about 20 difference. So if it is your sensors, try and get the OEM parts from Chevy.

Tags
chassis, chevy, engine