Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #1

Trying to figure out what I bought

Actually what chassis etc. I think it is a P32, but I have read enough arguments about p30 and p32 and haven't come away thinking I knew for sure.

It is a 2001 Coachmen Mirada. Workhorse. My vin doesn't match any of the charts I have found.
1TCA0791X11405081

If anyone could point me to a vin decoder for workhorse that this works in I would appreciate it.

Also I have found a PDF Chassis Manual for newer workhorse models, but not the 2001. Does anyone know where I can find a free pdf chassis manual for this.

Overall it is in good shape, but the brakes seemed weak on the drive home. I have seen a couple of threads where this is a issue with the P32 chassis, so that is part of the reason I think it is a P32.
KWiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to IRV2 fellow P32 owner. There is lots to learn but don't give up. A few weak spots to be aware of but a good overall chassis.

Here is a link to the manuals - they are large so not a cell phone item:
Workhorse Technical Info
Note the link to the VINs at the top.

Here is a link to the AutoPark library (FAQs have the toc)- stuff you need to have for a P32 weak spot:
AutoPark parking brake system help, troubleshooting, and repair

Here is another good reference for part numbers and DIY fixes:
Oemy's Web Site - Tech Tips

You may have a 2000 chassis under your 2001 motorhome. VIN is the correct chassis info.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

I checked a few different sources, none of the Workhorse VIN decoders worked on your number. I'd think you or your title is incorrect. On this first link, you'll find other places the VIN is stamped on the chassis.

This decoder says it's a 2001, and it's not stolen.

This decoder doesn't match up in the position information, for instance it says the engine is a 4.3 V6!

You might message DriVer, a quite knowledgable Workhorse owner.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #4

Thanks to you both for the quick and helpful answers.

tomwalt thanks for all the links it will take me a while to pour through them all. I didn't even know I had a autopark, so I will have to figure out what that is all about.

BFlinn181 that is the same thing I ran into with the VIN. I got it off the radiator support, but I will have to check the title to see if it isn't right.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #5

KWIK:
ALL workhorse vin #s begin with "5B4". I suspect what you are using is the coach serial number. IF you find a 17 character number beginning with "5B4", the sixth position is the code for chassis model. A "3" or a "5" in the sixth position means the model is a P32. If the sixth position is a "6", then you have a W series.

Look for a silver "incomplete vehicle" sticker somewhere inside the coach to find the chassis vin # and GVWR /GVCWR, which will also help identify the chassis.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #6

Another way is to look at the front suspension. If solid axle, it's Workhorse designed chassis. If independent suspension it is still a Workhorse Company chassis but built from parts left over from when they bought the GM/Chevrolet RV chassis business in 1999. If you have this, you can buy the complete 3-volume GM/Chevrolet chassis manual set (used) for around $30 on Ebay.

One last variation is that toward the end of production, some GM/Workhorse chassis were built with wide track independent front suspension. Easily identified since the front wheels are in line with the outer rear dual wheels instead of being "inset".

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
KWIK:
ALL workhorse vin #s begin with "5B4". I suspect what you are using is the coach serial number. IF you find a 17 character number beginning with "5B4", the sixth position is the code for chassis model. A "3" or a "5" in the sixth position means the model is a P32. If the sixth position is a "6", then you have a W series.

Look for a silver "incomplete vehicle" sticker somewhere inside the coach to find the chassis vin # and GVWR /GVCWR, which will also help identify the chassis.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I got the title from my wife, and you are right, the vin is 5B4 number This is what the vin decoder said

16,001 - 19,500 gvw
FORWARD ENGINE 4X2
1 TON NOMINAL
MOTORHOME CHAISSIS
7.4l gm v8
INDIANA
Old 02-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is a good chassis - original Chevy chassis with few if any mods. Chevy 454 L29 engine with 4L80 or 4L85 Hydramatic transmission. Mine has been solid.
Based on what my identical (but a year older) chassis had issues with:
You will have orange airbags inside the front suspension springs. Make sure they have (and hold) about 60 to 70 PSI. If not it is cheap and DIY replacement ($100)

You have a J71 AutoPark. Keep a spare pressure control switch (RGS) onboard ($45).

You said 'Weak chassis brakes' - should be about 4 to 6 inch brake pedal travel until full braking. Brake fluid should be changed (bled) every 3 or 4 years. I recommend getting an IR gun and checking the rotor temps often. On a heavy RV you won't feel the calipers stick but an IR gun check of rotors will catch it.

You can find free manuals for all the internal house components on line. Good rainy day project to identify what you have and download manuals (water heater, furnace, refrig, water pump, ect)

Remember, it is a hobby - have fun and the more you learn the easier and safer it is.

One more: I never had an issue with my starter switch, but the preventive maint is cheap insurance: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/stran...ch-284988.html
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWiK View Post
Thanks for the replies. I got the title from my wife, and you are right, the vin is 5B4 number This is what the vin decoder said

16,001 - 19,500 gvw
FORWARD ENGINE 4X2
1 TON NOMINAL
MOTORHOME CHAISSIS
7.4l gm v8
INDIANA
If you want the chassis build sheet, send me an email with the last eight (8) digits of the vin#. I'll reply with the build sheet details as an attachment. edgray1@gmail.com
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #10

Thanks everyone. A lot to learn, and you all have made it much easier to get started. I had a 30' toy hauler for years, and I could stop a lot better with it than I can with this, so I plan on going through the brakes completely before we go out. Unfortunately it is still pretty dang cold outside, so for now I am just trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:17 AM   #11

You are going about this ownership of a MH in the correct way. Finding out exactly what you have is a big step.
When I first bought mine I went to my local Navistar dealer (formerly International) and the parts manager took my VIN and printed off a detailed build sheet for my chassis. I was fortunate enough the previous owner had every manual supplied with the MH when it was delivered new along with every invoice for service, parts and accessories and tires since the MH was bought. He kept records of dates of services performed by himself and warranty papers for batteries etc.
The more you can learn the easier it will be able to make informed decisions down the road. Record every number you can find on every appliance or device you can find numbers on. It may be a big help at some point in time.
Lynn