Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #1

Turn off Activa “Change Oil” message

I have tried to turn off the “Change Oil” message on my 2004 Workhorse P32 Activa instrument cluster, but none of the suggested techniques have worked. How is this accomplished?
gozierdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #2

Typically on GM, you have to turn the key to on and pump the gas pedal 3 times to reset the oil monitor. This can get tricky as the gas pedal needs to go all the way to the floor. In some cases, the carpet has to be pulled back to get the pedal to the floor.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Typically on GM, you have to turn the key to on and pump the gas pedal 3 times to reset the oil monitor. This can get tricky as the gas pedal needs to go all the way to the floor. In some cases, the carpet has to be pulled back to get the pedal to the floor.

And do it quickly. Then turn off the ignition. Turn it back on and the message should be gone.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:20 PM   #4

Success,,,

Thank you both. Depressing the accelerator pedal 3times did it...I’m a happy camper again!
Old 10-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume you changed the oil????
Old 10-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I assume you changed the oil????

Changing the oil is not required to reset the oil monitor. My 80+ dad kept resetting the oil monitor on his Lacross and we finally figured out the oil had not been changed in 70k miles even though the oil monitor always was 50% or better. Mom is in charge of the oil change scheduling now.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Changing the oil is not required to reset the oil monitor. My 80+ dad kept resetting the oil monitor on his Lacross and we finally figured out the oil had not been changed in 70k miles even though the oil monitor always was 50% or better. Mom is in charge of the oil change scheduling now.

I'm well aware of that but I didn't know if the OP was aware of it.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #8

Yes, oil was changed!!!

Yes, I changed the oil before turning the message off...LOL
Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozierdt View Post
Yes, I changed the oil before turning the message off...LOL
FYI, the message is NOT based on mileage (only) as most people may think it is. It's appearance is supposed to be determined by some elaborate alogarithm that considers a bunch of factors, not just time or mileage.

If you're like most of us doing an oil change every 3 or 5 thousand miles, you may not see the reminder message until long after you did the change. Therefore, it is still a good idea to perform the procedure to clear the message at each oil change, even though it isn't showing (yet).
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
FYI, the message is NOT based on mileage (only) as most people may think it is. It's appearance is supposed to be determined by some elaborate alogarithm that considers a bunch of factors, not just time or mileage.

If you're like most of us doing an oil change every 3 or 5 thousand miles, you may not see the reminder message until long after you did the change. Therefore, it is still a good idea to perform the procedure to clear the message at each oil change, even though it isn't showing (yet).
On our 2003, I somehow missed reading about the oil change reminder in my manual. Didn't even know my Workhorse had it. I change the oil every year and I suppose this was enough to appease the algorithm for about 13 or 14 years. I guess it had had enough because it finally did come up a couple of years ago. Had to look up how to reset.

Glad you posted the above. I'll be sure to reset it every time I do the change from now on.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
On our 2003, I somehow missed reading about the oil change reminder in my manual. Didn't even know my Workhorse had it. I change the oil every year and I suppose this was enough to appease the algorithm for about 13 or 14 years. I guess it had had enough because it finally did come up a couple of years ago. Had to look up how to reset.

Glad you posted the above. I'll be sure to reset it every time I do the change from now on.
I'm curious how many miles are on your rig. Like you I change regularly and only clear the message when it comes up which can be a couple years.

By the way I read an article about the main engineer on the project for the reminder message and it was a lady. She did good!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #12

Mine seems to come on at 3000 miles.
So I reset it and keep on truckin' till I get to 5000 miles and do an oil change and another reset.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm curious how many miles are on your rig. Like you I change regularly and only clear the message when it comes up which can be a couple years.

By the way I read an article about the main engineer on the project for the reminder message and it was a lady. She did good!
Unfortunately, we don't get to take the rig out that often. Took it on longer trips in the beginning but in the last 10 or so years, have stayed pretty much local with our camping. There's right at 19,000 miles on it now which tells the tale..
Old 10-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Turn off Activa “Change Oil” message

Never have seen the message displayed on mine. I change between 3-4000mi. I know with these 8.1 needing oil about every 800-1000 mi the oil actually stays pretty fresh.