RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What am I doing wrong?
I don't know 1 100.00%
I can't be sure 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #1

Another new guy here...

We are ready to take the plunge (or so we thought).

Went to our local Winne dealer to look at some Adventurers. Sales folks took us to see a couple Adventurer Limiteds. Like them very much, but now confused.

I've looked over the UFO info in this section and it looks to be a really good way to go. My concern is dealers (not just mine) seem to be having a bit of trouble selling them. A quick search through RV Trader shows several (well, not actually Adventurer Limiteds, but Destinations) dealers apparently listing them $30k-$40k under MSRP. My dealer seems to be in line with that price.

Anyone have an idea of why other than the general downturn in the industry?

Thanks
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #2

Another new guy here...

We are ready to take the plunge (or so we thought).

Went to our local Winne dealer to look at some Adventurers. Sales folks took us to see a couple Adventurer Limiteds. Like them very much, but now confused.

I've looked over the UFO info in this section and it looks to be a really good way to go. My concern is dealers (not just mine) seem to be having a bit of trouble selling them. A quick search through RV Trader shows several (well, not actually Adventurer Limiteds, but Destinations) dealers apparently listing them $30k-$40k under MSRP. My dealer seems to be in line with that price.

Anyone have an idea of why other than the general downturn in the industry?

Thanks
Steve

Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

Sorry about the question and answers. I am unable to figure out why I need to ask a question and provide two answers.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
General downturn and the reluctance of buyers to switch to something new.
https://www.dcmrblueridge.com/
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SSteve,
You really didn't provide a whole lot of info as to the cost of the units listed to start with. Depending on the market, 25--28 % off MSRP is the normal negotiating price to work with. (Could be higher based on the market trends, remember, MSRP is phony also, but a starting price to work from.)

Do not understand your comment about having providing answers to your own question (?)

But, stick around there will be a lot more answers coming!
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ruppr:
remember, MSRP is phony also, but a starting price to work from.)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winnebago's MSRP pricing is not "phony".

The MSRP label is applied at the factory and lists the true MSRP price of the motorhome along with factory installed options and all delivery and handling charges. Other manufacturers may not provide a factory MSRP but Winnebago does. Winnebago is one of the few motorhome manufacturers that applies this MSRP price sticker. It is not required by law as an automobile MSRP label is.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Yes but I am sure (can't read your print)most of the acessories are away over priced. On my coach, A vcr was 480.00, sun visors were 480.00. ( it seems the manufacturer could only count by $480.00)etc. giving the dealer "room" to "work".
If it sounds good, looks good and you want it - go for it.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom,
Sorry if you took offense, but please remember-- MSRP stands for M(manufacturer)S(suggested) R(retail) P(price). Nothing more, nothing less. True cost to manufacturer is something else.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #9

But, now back to my question.

MSRP $160k-$180k. Asking $120k-$130k (as always, depending on who and where).

Your point on MSRP is generally valid and I understand how this game works, However, dealers rarely move from that price (unless its upward--DSRP) without the offer-counter offer process--or some other compelling reason. I covered the obvious in my original post.

For a dealer (or in this case, several dealers) to list a price WAY under MSRP is, to say the least, curious--hence my question.

Perhaps a better way to pose the question might have been, whats up with the Destination on the UFO chassis that seems to drive dealers to price them so aggressively?

About the question and two answers, before the system would let me post the original question, I was required to add a second question to which I also had to provide two answers (see original post, near the bottom of the post), and I have no idea why.

Steve
Old 05-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Without Winnebago's factory published window label showing true factory MSRP the buyer would have no starting point for negotiating. Winnebago's window MSRP price label is not "phony".

Many motorhome dealers post "phony" MSRP pricing window labels, but Winnebago dealers do not.

If you know Winnebago's pricing structure you'll know how to calculate dealer cost (less hold backs and factory to dealer incentives) from Winnebago's MSRP window label.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SSteve:
But, now back to my question. MSRP $160k-$180k. Asking $120k-$130k (as always, depending on who and where). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Steve, Let me take a whack at this. I believe what you are seeing is a dealer not being able to move some models of Winnebago UFO models because of the non-traditional styling which is currently being offered in Destination/Latitude.

At the recent Workhorse owner's Club rally at Beaudry RV in Arizona the Winnebago Adventurer Limited was a BIG hit with just about every person that visited the coach. The Limited that was seen there by the way was purchased by a club member.

The Adventurer Limited UFO presents traditional styling and amenities inside the coach that most of have a high degree of comfort with. We like square cabinets, we like the kitchen the way it always has been on Adventurers and the list goes on and on.

I don't see a lot of downside regarding the Limited and if you have the opportunity to buy one, and it meets your needs, "Get It" because I don't think it'll be long in inventory.

The Limited at Lazy Days in Florida sold within a very short time.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">About the question and two answers, before the system would let me post the original question, I was required to add a second question to which I also had to provide two answers (see original post, near the bottom of the post), and I have no idea why. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve: I'm not the expert here, but I think you "may" have indicated you wanted to post a POLL instead of a DISCUSSION. When you start a new DISCUSSION, you can write anything you want and phrase your comments and questions without having to provide answers. Hope this helps. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go for it Steve.That Adventurer Limited is one sweet coach!!!The Destinations have a funny flat
front on them,some swoopy cabinatetry,a microwave oven down low under the counter top.But they are style things that some like,just not me.They changed all the querky things in the Limited.My dealer has one for sale now with a MSRP in the 165K range,and I got a counter offer of 130K! If I had the room to keep it she would be mine.

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #14

Also keep in mind that the '09 Winnebago Destination/Itasca Latitude arriving shortly will feature completely redesigned caps and paint schemes. So no surprise that Winnebago is motivated to move the remaining Destinations/Latitudes before these hit dealers lots.

Explore America is offline   Reply With Quote