Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What was essentially absent in RV publications is now starting to ramp up. This month's FMCA Magazine has 3 UFO ads. 1 from WCC and 2 from WGO. There's a Destination and a Latitude ad.

I see this as a good thing and I have been looking for it and finally we're seeing more promotional materials in print about the UFO.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What was essentially absent in RV publications is now starting to ramp up. This month's FMCA Magazine has 3 UFO ads. 1 from WCC and 2 from WGO. There's a Destination and a Latitude ad.

I see this as a good thing and I have been looking for it and finally we're seeing more promotional materials in print about the UFO.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike, the WCC ad touts both the GAS and DIESEL as an available engine in this month's FMCA Magazine. I think originally the Diesel was to be announced this past spring as a part of the International offering to WCC. Have you gotten any updates from your people as to when they will actuall have an available Diesel and which engine(s) will be used?

Thanks - Glenn
Old 08-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is a good thing. The more you read about the UFO the more informed the RV public will become, and the demand for more floorplans will follow.(hopefully) I have test driven a Destination at my local dealer and love the chassis, just do not like the Winnie. I will wait until more are available to choose from. I hope that Fleetwood will pick the UFO up and make some good floorplans on a 262 inch wheelbase. Just have to wait and see.

Richard
Old 08-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha:
Mike, the WCC ad touts both the GAS and DIESEL as an available engine in this month's FMCA Magazine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Workhorse UFO is the standard chassis in the WGO strategy. it comes in both the 37G and the 39W. Although I have not actually checked it would seem probable that the 39W is on a 262 and the 37G is on the 242. Once thing that remains constant on rear pushers is the distance from the vertical center line of the rear wheel to the rear bumper of the coach. The length is made up in wheelbase. Again the distance between the vertical center of the front wheel to the front bumper is consistent from one model to the next.

It would stand to reason that 2 wheelbases are used on WGO models. Regarding the ad, if you look into the print WGO is telling us that the diesel is a FLCC product and although they give the HP rating of the gas unit at 340 HP what we see is displacement info on the diesel. Why? Possibly because it's the same horsepower and it just doesn't read well in print. In the ad WGO is very clear about which chassis features the diesel power plant.

Early in the conception process the possibility that the UFO could be powered by the same 6.7L ISB engine existed. Time has passed since this idea was first considered and although this would be a fine engine I believe that the dynamics have changed when Navistar became the parent company. I don't believe that Navistar would squash the 6.7L but who knows. The rumor around the campground is that WCC is going to pass on the Cummins.

International has a very nice 6.4L MaxxForce 7 engine in its lineup that when tweaked to PSD specs could prove to be quite a competitive force vs similarly powered 6.7L ISB powered RDPs. @350HP and some 650 lbs/ft of Torque it could be quite a powerplant for the UFO. Exactly "when" we will see the 6.4L engine installed in the UFO is up to rumor right now however I am confident that it is going to happen. My crystal ball says that it might be shown later this year at an RV Show with production ramping soon afterward.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Avalondanes:
I hope that Fleetwood will pick the UFO up and make some good floorplans on a 262 inch wheelbase. Just have to wait and see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Richard, Regrettably and against the wishes of his customers, Luc VanHerle said, that the UFO is only a niche product and they had no plans to build on the UFO. If you want a UFO on a Fleetwood product let them know.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Historically Fleetwood has been slow to change! If the "UFO" chassis becomes very popular, then you may see Fleetwood jump in with both feet, but they are not the kind of company to step into untested waters! Bagman.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:56 AM   #8

Mutha,

I looked at an 08 Winnebago Destination 39W at Lichtsinn Motors while I was in Forest City last week. It was on the Freightliner XC chassis with the 6.7l 340hp Cummings.
Marshall316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha:
Mike, the WCC ad touts both the GAS and DIESEL as an available engine in this month's FMCA Magazine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...... Regarding the ad, if you look into the print WGO is telling us that the diesel is a FLCC product and although they give the HP rating of the gas unit at 340 HP what we see is displacement info on the diesel. Why? Possibly because it's the same horsepower and it just doesn't read well in print. In the ad WGO is very clear about which chassis features the diesel power plant. ...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, the AD I am talking about is NOT the WBO AD it is the WCC AD on page 129 of the current FMCA August 2007 magazine. The main title of the AD READS: <span class="ev_code_RED">"TAKE ME TO YOUR DEALER"</span> it shows two fuel pumps, one labeled GAS the other labeled DIESEL. Beside the fuel pumps is the heading that reads: "UNIVERSAL FUEL OPTION" and below that is says "Now you can have a rear powered motor home with either gas or diesel." This is a FULL PAGE WCC UFO AD.

My original guess was that WCC would use the same V-8 diesel that International (NAVISTAR CORP) builds for FORD commonly refered to as the FORD "POWER STROKE" diesel. This is the same engine that is widely used in about 90% of all diesel school busses.

Glenn
Old 08-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #10

Saw two Destinations at a dealer yesterday, both FL chassis' w/340HP. Was not impressed with workmanship. Do not like the stove. I'd have them pull it & replace with Sharp Micro/Conv above and Amana stove/oven below. My personal preference, with the clean surface look. As I recall, the CCC was not impressive.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Mike, the AD I am talking about is NOT the WBO AD it is the WCC AD on page 129 of the current FMCA August 2007 magazine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glenn, I saw that and noted it in the first post in this thread.

Your assumption about the diesel engine is correct! It'll be the twin-turbo International Navistar MaxxForce 7.

Read more click on the graphic.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would like to see two identical UFO's, one equipped with the Cummins 6.7 ISB and the other equipped with the Navistar 6.4 and have a one on one comparison test. A test showing acceleration times and fuel economy numbers. My guess is that the Cummins will come out on top! Bagman57
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
.......Glenn, I saw that and noted it in the first post in this thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mike, somehow I did not see where you referred to the 6.4 International diesel in your previous post until just now when I went back and re-read your post! What can I say...old age cometh along with loss of memory.

Glenn
Old 08-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagman57:
A test showing acceleration times and fuel economy numbers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm pretty sure that they've been there and done that. Although I haven't driven a PSD, the twin-turbos will probably spool up the PSD as quickly as a gasoline engine would spool up thereby leaving the ISB in the dust.

Coming soon at a dealer, you can probably take out an ISB FLCC vs a MF7 UFO. I'm sure that one of these publications is going to run something like that as soon as they have the opportunity.

Now if you ran a trial going from 0 to 60 and back to 0 the MF7 UFO is going to win that race because of its acceleration and Arvin Meritor WABCO HPB brakes.