Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
UFO brakes (they work well)

I had to make a big panic stop on North I-95 today. I was in the middle of three lanes behind a big white tour bus. I was not following too close but it was blocking my long view of the road. I noticed that there was construction next to the left lane, I did not notice the lane was closed, but the bus did, it made a hard swerve to the right, at the last moment, and left me looking at a backed up center lane, traffic not moving at all. I had to slam on the brakes, hard, very hard. We have a storage ottoman (its our liquor cabinet) that we put in the hallway by the central bathroom sink, it slid all the way into the kitchen. My wife was sure we were not going to stop in time. We did with some room to spare. If I had been in my old Bounder gasser, or another DP, I am pretty sure we would have hit the car in front of us. My quadrahualic brakes saved us a lot of damage and possibly some lives.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #2

Happy to hear you got stopped.

I hate driving on I 95 as traffic often comes to a complete stop for no apparent reason.

So if I find I need to be there I always make sure to avoid being behind a tall vehicle and I make sure to keep my eyes looking far down the road. If I see taillights come on a half mile ahead I get ready to brake.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Glad you were able to safely stop. I hate driving I-95. Traffic stops for no reason and then when you get to where the backup started nothing's there.

Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

The one thing I find less than inspiring on my W-22 chassis is the brakes! The W-24 quaddraulic are sooooooo much better
MoCoTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #5

I agree that the UFO's have great Hydraulic brakes 2,100 psi. After I replaced the HCU the RV stop's on a dime. I tow a 4,300 lbs Jeep and it still stops great. I do recommend checking the brake fluid for moisture and changing the brake fluid every 2 years, this keeps the HCU valves/rubber seals clean.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Glad to hear you got stopped in time! I am really happy with the brakes on our W-24 chassis as well. It stops more like a pickup than a MH! Huge improvement over the '93 P-30 chassis we had before!! You had to really stand on the brakes to get action on it.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, ufo