Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #15

Lash did you replace all four shocks with Koni and if so what particular model or part #.

sightsser wanna adventurer GL
Johnlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wayne;

In answer to your question on engine access cover, Monaco did a square cover back in the bedroom in my floorplan. I just had the cover off a month ago as my A/C compressor failed. There are 6 screws imbedded in the carpet on my unit. Not sure what Winnie did in their design. Took a little work to get my cover off.

Changed out the serpentine belt but the old one looked good.

Johnlit---Not sure which Koni numbers were installed but it was done by Redlands California RV Service group. Believe that Koni should also be able to help by using the R26 chassis designation.

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
Wayne;

In answer to your question on engine access cover, Monaco did a square cover back in the bedroom in my floorplan. I just had the cover off a month ago as my A/C compressor failed. There are 6 screws imbedded in the carpet on my unit. Not sure what Winnie did in their design. Took a little work to get my cover off.

Changed out the serpentine belt but the old one looked good.

Johnlit---Not sure which Koni numbers were installed but it was done by Redlands California RV Service group. Believe that Koni should also be able to help by using the R26 chassis designation.

Regards
My engine cover has been off at least 2 times as the AC compressor failed twice. I have at least 2 covers, one doesn't budge and the other one moves a little but won't lift out. I will keep trying.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #18

Thanks Lash and did you change all 4 to koni and did they make a big difference and in what way?
johnlit
Old 09-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Johnlit;

Yes, all four shocks were changed and if I recall, in 2008, the front shocks were different numbers from the rear ones.

Once installed, I noticed the elimination of the bounce from the previous shocks was eliminated. Like the ride a lot and they still seem to be working well as we have been over some rough roads in the past five years.

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had my useless factory Bilstein's replaced at the same Rally as Lash and 4 or 5 other UFO owners. Best money I have spent on the RV as of now.

Available from https://ultrarvproducts.com/store/in...0_61&filter=11

Part numbers:
8805-1002
8805-1021

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:58 AM   #21

Thanks for the info. I will be seeing this coach next Thursday. will let you know how it turns out.
John
Old 09-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #22

If I may ask, what was so, and I quote, "(8.1L) gasser with a unique suspension system and handling package" Please do tell me about this. I have had my eye open for one of these rigs ever since i read the first story about them. Did They put some sort of air ride system on them?
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
If I may ask, what was so, and I quote, "(8.1L) gasser with a unique suspension system and handling package" Please do tell me about this. I have had my eye open for one of these rigs ever since i read the first story about them. Did They put some sort of air ride system on them?
The R26 UFO came standard with monoleaf front springs, coil springs in the rear, and a "torque box" which is mounted between the chassis rails and welded to the rear axle housing. It allows the up & down motion of the suspension, but effectively eliminates most of the side to side sway and excessive leaning while cornering. They do not have air-bag suspension, and many owners have replaced the OE Bilstein shocks with Koni FSD shocks to further enhance their ride. If you find one, it will be a 2009 or older model year chassis....but they are out there. There are two parked across from me at the WCMC rally in Sevierville, TN.- one HR & one Georgie Boy Cruisemaster, as I write this. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #24

Ed
Are any pictures or drawings of the torque box available? Txs
Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #25

Hi Ed.
The coach will only arrive next week at the dealer and so I will get the vin # then unless there is another delay. Apparently there was an emergency of some kind which delayed the arrival. Will keep you posted and I certainly appreciate your offer.
Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are not a lot of UFOs for sale. Most of the ones listed are Winnebagos. Winne/Itasca made about 300 of them, Forest River about the same, Rexhal, I don't know, Monaco/HR 14 and Georgie Boy about 20 I think. I was just at the GEAR rally in Asheville with about 450 coaches there and I had the only Rear Gasser there. I know cause I looked for another one.

This one looks like a real cream puff:

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2008...-37G-112482585

This is the first UFO made...Workhorse's park and ride demo unit:

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2007...8PLT-113153306

Oh, btw, I still have my big ole yellow and blue shocks. They bounce a bit but don't jar your teeth either when you can't avoid a pothole.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are happy with our 2008 winny adventurer ltd.

Smooth, quiet ride and adequate power plus we get 8.3 mpg consistently.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=edgray;2241689]

The UFO moniker stood for Unlimited Floorplan Option because the design allowed coach builders to have a totally flat floor from front to rear. Some also claimed Universal Fuel Option, but the promised diesel engine version never made it to market.

Thanks, I have wondered what it meant. I had wrongly assumed it was a poor product.

Tags
chassis, ufo