Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It's been a couple years now since this chassis was introduced. I know the market is REALLY slow now, but why are there so few mfr's that have MH's using it? It sure got a lot of positive comments on this website/forum, yet I've found only 3 mfr's that are marketing it.

Just curious.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It's been a couple years now since this chassis was introduced. I know the market is REALLY slow now, but why are there so few mfr's that have MH's using it? It sure got a lot of positive comments on this website/forum, yet I've found only 3 mfr's that are marketing it.

Just curious.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's my opinion that manufacturers are not willing to make changes, even ones that are good for them. They refuse to see how the market is changing and how they are losing market share and adjust accordingly. Pushers are diesel..gas is in the front..don't tell us different. Plus..they don't want and mistakenly think that gas pusher sales will cut into sales of their own chassis. Tiffin will soon be marketing their own Powerglide diesel chassis. Monaco makes the Roadmaster diesel and they are cutting back on all gas models being offered. The Vacationer, a great coach by the way, used to be offered on a front gas engine chassis and last year on the UFO. Now it is only available with the Roadmaster diesel chassis. Fleetwood now markets their company modified Freightliner chassis..the PowerBridge chassis. Despite the fact that diesel fuel is more expensive to buy and diesel chassis are more expensive to buy (my 38 foot gas pusher cost 15,000 less than the 34 ft diesel Vacationer) they will not seriously look at a gas pusher chassis. Unfortuntely a lot of buyers have the same attitude. I don't think that gas pushers should be a replacement for very long and heavy diesel pushers..they should be considered by those who want a bigger gas coach with many of the advantages of an entry level diesel, like quiet smoother ride, better brakes etc, and the manufacturers should see it the same way.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't think that gas pushers should be a replacement for very long and heavy diesel pushers..they should be considered by those who want a bigger gas coach with many of the advantages of an entry level diesel, like quiet smoother ride, better brakes etc, and the manufacturers should see it the same way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
GRAMPS: I could not agree with you more. I was sold on the 26K UFO GAS from the very first test drive. I'm still waiting for a quality builder to offer a floorplan we like to get a UFO. I'm frustrated by the doldrums the coach builders find themselves in, which I think is the biggest impediment to innovation.

The public has spoken favorably of the UFO, and I've not met anyone who was not impressed after a test drive. Those who said "yeah, but" we want one under a smaller 32-34 foot gas pusher induced WCC to offer a scaled down 22K GVWR version of the UFO, but the builders still have not seized upon the opportunity to innovate and come to market with new products.

I continue to hope there will be new offerings when the market "returns". ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:13 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
You may want to do some research before you buy as to this problem that keeps surfacing, having to do with the water pump shaft and/or pulley flying apart and maybe going through the readiator, etc...and even sometimes as soon as it's replaced. By now the replacement parts hopefully have been beefed up or redesigned, but I wouldn't count on it.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tropical36:
You may want to do some research before you buy as to this problem that keeps surfacing, having to do with the water pump shaft and/or pulley flying apart and maybe going through the readiator, etc...and even sometimes as soon as it's replaced. By now the replacement parts hopefully have been beefed up or redesigned, but I wouldn't count on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I researched before I bought and the water pump failure was an abberation. The few that failed did so because of a manufacturing bearing defect and the same pump would have failed if installed in a front engine gasser. No one should be afraid of considering a UFO. The other owners of coaches like mine that I have been in contact with are very pleased with their coaches including an owner who experienced this problem. He has in a very short time put over 12,000 miles on the coach since the replacement of the pump that failed and has had no problems whatsoever with the UFO chassis.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tropical36:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Point taken however this is soon to be a non-issue. Like they say in the Air Force don't fly the A model of anything.

I'm sure that WCC will get this issue off the radar screen.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out Rexhall, great looking motorhome and it`s on a UFO
Don & Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
Originally posted by tropical36:
You may want to do some research before you buy as to this problem that keeps surfacing, having to do with the water pump shaft and/or pulley flying apart and maybe going through the readiator, etc...and even sometimes as soon as it's replaced. By now the replacement parts hopefully have been beefed up or redesigned, but I wouldn't count on it.

I researched before I bought and the water pump failure was an abberation. They few that failed did so because of a manufacturing bearing defect and the same pump would have failed if installed in a front engine gasser. No one should be afraid of considering a UFO. The other owners of coaches like mine that I have been in contact with are very pleased with their coaches including an owner who experienced this problem. He has in a very short time put over 12,000 miles on the coach since the replacement of the pump that failed and has had no problems whatsoever with the UFO chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is very good to know. Thanks for the info and hopefully I'll be able to afford one,... one of these days as they age enough and become available.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote