RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have thought that 6-9 RV manufacturers would be building on this new chassis by now. I guess Forest River is doing it, but there is nothing on their web site. Winnebago will have a Winnebago and Itasca (gas only) version, but once again, nothing on their website. And I guess Monaco will be using the Workhorse "UFO" with the HR Vacationer and Monaco La Palma, but haven't seen any floor plans yet. I personally called Tiffin Motor Homes and the only answer I got was that they are studying the situation. From my perspective, it looks like their focus on the Allegro and Allegro Bay is with the Freightliner "FRED" chassis. Naturally there is much interest in the "UFO" chassis, but it looks like we won't know much till late 2007 or sometime in 2008. I guess I'm just a little disappointed that this new chassis hasn't taken off faster. What do you think about this? Chuck/Bagman.

Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have thought that 6-9 RV manufacturers would be building on this new chassis by now. I guess Forest River is doing it, but there is nothing on their web site. Winnebago will have a Winnebago and Itasca (gas only) version, but once again, nothing on their website. And I guess Monaco will be using the Workhorse "UFO" with the HR Vacationer and Monaco La Palma, but haven't seen any floor plans yet. I personally called Tiffin Motor Homes and the only answer I got was that they are studying the situation. From my perspective, it looks like their focus on the Allegro and Allegro Bay is with the Freightliner "FRED" chassis. Naturally there is much interest in the "UFO" chassis, but it looks like we won't know much till late 2007 or sometime in 2008. I guess I'm just a little disappointed that this new chassis hasn't taken off faster. What do you think about this? Chuck/Bagman.

Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was pretty excited about viewing the UFO at Tampa. I found the steepness of the climb into the motor home a turnoff for me. At least in the Forest River product. I understand the raised rail is a real benefit but it seems that diesel pushers are not as steep of an entry.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagman57:
What do you think about this? Chuck/Bagman. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>bagman57, It's not unusual to see manufacturers gearing up in the background for their latest and greatest product announcements. The brands that you listed are the ones that have announced so far however stay tuned more will be said about who's building on the UFO. Rome wasn't built in a day however in these times one might expect that everyone would jump on a good thing but hang in there, it's rumbling down below and I'm expecting a gusher! What drives sales of motorhomes are folks like you and me. So far 95% or more of the test drivers that have experienced the UFO have given it the prestigious award.

In Brooksville I was beating back the crowds that came to see me because they all wanted to know more about the UFO. Few if any there wanted more information about front engine anything. people are taking to the UFO concept like a duck takes to water.

It's still early yet and I do believe for the most part that the OEMs will be offering the UFO as a 2008 model. Although it's early yet I know that Monaco has delivered for retail sale some of its offerings and Forest River has quite a few UFOs in customer's hands. Several Florida dealerships have a UFO on the lot however they are not gathering any dust on the tires either.

Lazy Days had a UFO Monaco but I'm sure that's gone! Turning Wheel in Plant City told me they had a UFO but it was being prepped for delivery. The UFO is here however getting one in your exact flavor may still be a challenge but it's here and it's only going to get bigger in volume in no time at all.

Consumers see little if any benefit in buying a new {large} motorhome with a front engine configuration however like anything else folks will have to weight their budget vs desire and a front engine rig maybe what puts them into a motorhome. Front engine gasoline rigs still have a way to go yet before folks turn their backs on them. Entry level rigs will no doubt continue to be front gas powered and chassis like the W16 through W20 will still provide manufacturers and customers with an affordable and viable solution.

Specialty rigs like toy haulers are now coming around and are being seen on W22 through W24. Big rigs like the Mountain Air gas are being delivered on W25.5s. The UFO isn't going to be a solution for everything and everyone but it will definitely make an impact on the RV buying public.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #5

I had a long chat with the Newmar factory rep at the RV show here last weekend and when I asked him if they were going to be using the UFO chassis he said: "Absolutely Not!!" He was very adament about it. In fact, he was bragging about how impressed they are with the new Ford chassis. I got the distinct impression that Workhorse was not going to be part of their 2008 lineup. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed about that. He also told me that the Mountain Aire gasser will be gone in 2008 but will be replaced by a new high end model under a new name. It will probably be on the Fred chassis. I was really hopeing for a new Mountain Aire high end coach on the UFO. Guess I'll just have to stay with my 2004 / W22.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Foster:
I had a long chat with the Newmar factory rep at the RV show here last weekend and when I asked him if they were going to be using the UFO chassis he said: "Absolutely Not!!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jack, One of the Fleetwood top end reps said that they were not looking at the UFO however in history the newspaers of the day also read, "Dewey Defeats Truman!"

See the article I wrote in the Newsroom Blog on the front page.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #7

Driver

That's a good article and I hope some of your speculations are true. I'm just very disappointed that Newmar (which is considered a high end / quality product by most) would downgrade their product and their image by not going with the newest and greatest technology. The UFO. The Fred may be a step forward for them, but to be planning on using the Ford chassis is definitely a step backwards. I have a feeling that their plans with Ford are a result of trying to retain a high level of luxury in their product, but cut the costs. Let's face it, a $200,000 Mountain Aire is not going to sell very well. I would certainly like to see some options available for those of us that want a top notch, high quality luxury gasser.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Foster:
..... but to be planning on using the Ford chassis is definitely a step backward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jack, I wish them a lot of luck with that. Long term I see the F53 somehow being sold by FoMoCo to a private concern because they are going to be really tied up selling cars and trucks and improving their stock value. One more failure by management means that the banks are going to be in the car building business. I believe that we all saw the same thing from the floor of the Detroit Auto Show. I do wish them well honestly - I wouldn't want to be without a Ford Motor Corporation.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I got the distinct impression that Workhorse was not going to be part of their 2008 lineup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
JACK: That may well have been the "vibe" he was sending out, but I just don't think it is realistic. Like you, I too am not pleased with Newmar's apparent decision to drop the MACA product for 2008. I find it almost unbelievable that they would design and engineer 5 totally new MACA floor plans for 2007, built on a stretched version of the W-25.5 chassis, and then discontinue the entire product line after one year. Perhaps what we will see when the dust settles is 2008 products with similar plans & chassis bearing a different nameplate, and slightly lower ammenities. There is no doubt they want to reserve the Mountain Aire name for higher end DP status.

Likewise, their decision to avoid using the UFO (at least for the foreseeable future) frustrates my plans to remain a loyal Newmar owner. Blame me for the poor timing However, I believe the UFO is such an outstanding platform, with handling characteristics UNMATCHED by any chassis, that Newmar will see the advantages of a 26,000 GVWR gas pusher and develop products that take advantage of its price point. It may well be the 2009 or 2010 model year before Newmar finds itself playing "catch-up" with its larger competitors, but I believe it WILL happen.

With regard to your statement quoted above, the reason I think it is unrealistic is because Ford does not offer anything higher than a 22,000 GVWR. So even with its lower price point, it can't carry the load presented by many of the floor plans Newmar builds. ALL of the 2007 KSCA are ONLY available on WCC. Do you think Newmar will be so foolish as to drop its entire Kountry Star lineup? I don't, and therefore I believe that WCC will still be selling chassis to Newmar for 2008 models and beyond.

Only time will tell us how this plays out. We've been discussing this here on iRV2.com since shortly after the International in Essex Junction last fall. All I can do is watch with interest and a little dismay. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

The Workhorse Chassis is alive and well on a 2008 NEWMAR product...I saw it with my own eyes,it's just not a MACA...

Hang on to your hats folks and wait for the announcement....I did one of those "pinky square handshakes" to keep me quiet!!

Regrettably, I heard Newmar only sold something like 12-14 MACA units last year...Not a very profitable venture to continue if I were counting beans for them.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
12 to 14 MACA... I can understand this as the 04 to 05 price increase was almost $20k and only 1 year warranty. When a gas rig is hitting close to $200 you berter off looking at good used 2 year old DP. I saw a 07 Coachman Cross Country on Ebay for $109k. Not what I want but it might be a starter DP for somebody.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
The Workhorse Chassis is alive and well on a 2008 NEWMAR product...I saw it with my own eyes,it's just not a MACA...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO! I would find it soooo hard to believe that a company like Newmar would push the UFO aside for the FRED. It just flat doesn't make any sense because there is so many more configurations box makers can choose from with the UFO.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO! I would find it soooo hard to believe that a company like Newmar would push the UFO aside for the FRED. It just flat doesn't make any sense because there is so many more configurations box makers can choose from with the UFO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yoohoo.....The UFO is NOT the Workhorse Chassis they're using,I hope you didn't clear your BINGO card....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #14

I hope you didn't clear your BINGO card.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote