Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone have any new info about the FCA situation. The regional service manager on the west coast should receive an academy award. I am amazed at how he can keep coming up with new stories and reasons why there is not, as he put's it "a validated fan clutch yet.

I was most up set at the comment that they will make a motorhome payment for me, for all the trouble. That means sorry we have no fix!! yet!!! They should be ashamed of themselves! This chassis was their new flagship. All of this over a Fan Clutch! I'm sorry, make your customers happy and get a NEW VENDER for god sakes.

I was at the California RV show in Pomona California today. I was told by the Forest River Rep that they have discontinued production on the UFO platform. To many problems. I was also told by a Monaco Rep the same thing. This does not look good at all. Workhorse did not even have a display or reps at the show. I think the UFO is going to disappear into the sunset!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monaco discontinued the UFO a long time ago..before they ever got started if you ask me. They had one floorplan on their website they never made at all. Forest River only has one as well. I can't believe that they are not building them because of too many problems. Other than the water pump problem what other problems did they mention? Problems never seemed to stop them before whether it be windshields cracking, front and end caps coming off or engines throwing rods thru the side of the coach along with Lord knows what. My companion 38plt owners have had other problems, but just like me they are all Monaco issues (and Monaco has made every effort to fix my problems)...none with the chassis except the one unfortunate owner who lost his pump.

I think the problem is the chassis is bigger than what they think most gas buyers want right now. It's too bad if they can't think outside the box and do someting with the UFO 22,000 lb chassis.

But to answer your question..I have heard nothing new. Time for a phone call. Workhorse needs to get this fix done for their own sakes as much as ours. They need to have postitve things on the web, obviously not bad things spreading like wildfire. The industry is in bad enough shape for pete's sake.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally posted by CraigA Sept 29:
Hello, new to this forum seems like a great wealth of info here. We have a 2008 Forest River Georgetown 391 on a UFO chassis. Sitting at Crest Chevrolet in San Bernardino as I'm writing this.

Last night we had a water pump failure, seems like it's noting new, wish I would have done a little more research before purchasing. We will see how they handle this.
!!!
Craig, is your coach still at Crest Chevrolet?

If it's at all possible get it moved over to Redlands Truck & RV Service asap!!!

I just checked and it's only 10.1 miles away from Crest. RTS is a "Premier Workhorse Service Center" and is rated extremely high by many of us iRV2 members and others that visit the "My Workhorse" website and rate service centers. Keith Shomaker is the owner and he personally monitors this forum and is one of our forum sponsors. I know Kieth personally and he will bend over backwards to make you a happy camper. There have been iRV2 members that drive hundreds of miles out of their way to have RTS do quality work on their WH just to know that the job will get done right. And they'll tell you about the things you didn't even know could be an issue. Kieth's number is 909-792-0314. Their address is 510 Amigos Dr, Redlands.

I've driven a UFO, you have a really great platform. You just need to get the quality service you expect.

Give Kieth a call and discuss your options.

Good luck,
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Craig, sounds like Duner has a good idea. Lets hope this gets resolved soon.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by CraigA:
Workhorse did not even have a display or reps at the show. I think the UFO is going to disappear into the sunset!!!
The corporate folks that were here in Myrtle Beach to support the owners rally left here and went to the Pomona Show. I would urge you to look again because I know they are there.

The attendees that were here in Myrtle Beach that participated in a 2 hour seminar heard that the FCA problem was identified and a resolution to that problem is shortly forthcoming.

I did not read where you wrote that your FCA has failed, is that the case? One thing that is indisputable is that you are still covered under warranty and Workhorse will make right anything that might happen to your chassis during this period of time.

You will notice the edit in your original post, iRV2 does not allow to stand any type of language in any of its forums that promotes or sustains language that would support litigation. If you feel strongly about this case your option is to do so privately.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay, as usual Driver has offered logic and cool headedness (is that a word?) back into the discussion and I appreciate that. Now I have two simple opinions.

1. I believe Workhorse is going to do just what they said they would do at the rally and that is sometime in the next few weeks an official response or release about this problem will come out and we as owners will have directions as to how to resolve this issue.

2. I think that the UFO is a great platform and manufacturers are making a HUGH mistake if they are not building on it. (Monaco, the 38PLT is a really nice coach! Shouldn't you reconsider your decision not to build on the UFO? I bought mine instead of a front engine gasser..not instead of a DP!)

3. (I know, I said only two) Buyers should still consider buying a UFO even if it is a new discontinued floorplan like my own. I bought a 38PLT while I still could because it is a nice floorplan on a great platform. There are some great new UFO's still on dealer's lots priced well, especially now.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
Official iRV2 Sponsor

I just talked to Workohorse...The NEW clutch's are in and being tested for durability.The repair will be done to fix the issue & then I'm sure the UFO will Dominate the gas chassis market! It is an awesome Idea,with a few kinks,But if you are like me and driven one...There is no substitute,quiet,powerful & comfortable to drive.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
There have been many technologies that have had to suffer their growing pains. One that come to mind is the STS. No STS no HST and ISS. Other aircraft in flight test programs failed miserably like the F22 for instance which is now our most dominant front line fighter interceptor today.

Workhorse is getting the UFO thing sorted out and we certainly do see promise. I do have to agree with Mike B. that I also believe that the UFO can dominate the gas RV market given the right floorplans which as of yet most of us are still waiting for. In my opinion the Adventurer Limited SE is one of the best that I have seen so far.

The newer UFO R22 for a lack of a better description would be a nice addition to any OEM's fleet. Less GVW, shorter wheelbase, less expensive and much the same technology. UFO is here to stay.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally posted by DriVer:
I did not read where you wrote that your FCA has failed, is that the case? One thing that is indisputable is that you are still covered under warranty and Workhorse will make right anything that might happen to your chassis during this period of time.
I just got off the phone with Craig and he is traveling today & won't be able to post until late tonight.
Yes, his water pump did self-destruct while pulling the 15 mile Cajon Pass. He said the temp climbed slightly on the upgrade, but when he passed over the summit the temp gauge pegged and the engine immediately shut down. He did have his car in toe.

Craig and I are both planning on being at Workhorse Club rally in Bakersfield, CA this winter.

DriVer, why don't you plan on making this rally and just kick back and have fun as an joe-average Workhorse owener.
I can guarrantee with about 99.9% probability that you won't get struck by lightning in Bakersfield.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Duner:
DriVer, why don't you plan on making this rally and just kick back and have fun as an joe-average Workhorse owner.
I can guarantee with about 99.9% probability that you won't get struck by lightning in Bakersfield.
"Sparky" here ....., That would be great! You know no matter where I would go right now to support a WCMC Rally you can bet that they would put me to work.

I believe that our next WCMC Rally will be in Greenville, Ohio. Now that said, Ohio is closer to Iowa than California so I had better be on a 100% rubber insulated pad!

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Craig and he is traveling today & won't be able to post until late tonight.
I'm sure Craig has a legitimate beef however Workhorse will fix his motorhome and following up, they will be installing replacement FCAs shortly. It seems unusual when our SE RSM knows about the FCA and the West Coast RSM was playing his cards close to the chest. The resolution is very early into disclosure and it is likely that the WC RSM was uninformed or not prepared to comment if he was uncertain about the FCA program. Regardless the FCA issue will be put behind us very shortly.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very good news indeed!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I believe that our next WCMC Rally will be in Greenville, Ohio.
DriVer, when will this be confirmed? Do you know possibile dates yet? If Omey don't show up I should only have to rob one bank to get through the Ohio Rally. You did an awesome job and we had a great time.

Thanks Again,

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by 03HRVacationer:
DriVer, when will this be confirmed?
Al, It was announced that "The WCMC East Rally" will be held in Greenville. OH during the business meeting on Thursday.

We will have more to say about this after the "The WCMC West Rally". We already have a committee and they are making plans to put the rally forward. I believe that the rally will be a pre-rally which will coincide with the FMCA 82nd International Convention in Bowling Green, OH.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by -Gramps-:
Monaco discontinued the UFO a long time ago..before they ever got started if you ask me. They had one floorplan on their website they never made at all.

And this was my favorite UFO floorplan, the 38SDD which featured three separate living zones. A take off from a similar floorplan concept introduced by Winnebago. Unfortunately, Monaco never produced it beyond the design/prototype stage. Apparently, I was told back in '07 that there were some engineering design issues with this floorplan, and they just couldn't make it work.
Explore America is offline   Reply With Quote