Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question UFO Rotate tires yes or no

Is there a significant reason to rotate tires as the manual says to do? I have one of those blow out preventors on the each of the front weels and I think it would be pretty expensive to rotate tires on the RV.
JimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I do not see a great deal of benefit just for the sake of accomplishing a recommended rotation. Most of us do not rotate RV tires. Tire reps have also shared that RV tire rotation has limited benefits. Keep an eye on the outside of the tread and check for abnormal wear. If the tires wear abnormally you may need to have your settings checked.

I have rotated my tires for purposes of adjusting the front end alignment and all I wanted to achieve was moving the square tires from the rear axle to the front axle. The rotation consisted of moving the outside rears to the front positions and restoring the fronts to the O/S rear.

I have found that rotating tires on the toad is more important since the wear and tear characteristics on those tires benefit from rotation.

Stay on top of your RV weights and pressures that will help you long term.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
..... all I wanted to achieve was moving the square tires from the rear axle to the front axle.....

Mike: we all know you are the eternal "beta-tester" for any thing to further enhance our RVing experience. Thanks for all you do and have done.

May I suggest you consider some of those new-fangled "round" tires....I hear they can greatly improve your ride and handling! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
May I suggest you consider some of those new-fangled "round" tires....I hear they can greatly improve your ride and handling! ED
Thank you Ed ..... ROTFLMAO.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good one Edgray, as soon as I saw that Driver had square tires I was going to tell him that round ones ride smoother but you told him already and I concur.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Square tires last four times as long. When one side wears out you turn a new side down. Where can you find these tires? How much do they cost.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #7

Good to know. Do they come in a quite sliding highway tread. or just "off-road" pattern ?

I think MIKE got his at Fred & Barney's tire store in Bedrock. Mike was one of their FIRST customers...back in those days he had plenty of dracmas. ED
Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oblong tires are much smoother riding than square ones. Don't know if mileage would be as great though. Four sides would be hard to compete with.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #9

DC: I thought the oblong tires were what caused the porposing issue...of course I guess the KONIs would be able to handle that. ED
Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I had known that my oblong tires were causing porposing I would have gone for the square tires instead of the KONIs. I can not believe how much I learn on this forum!
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5 jeeper View Post
I can not believe how much I learn on this forum!
TRUE THAT! We are a wealth of information here, and some of it is highly accurate. Then again, sometimes we just need a little humor too

Thanks for sharing in the fun. ED
Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #12

tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimO View Post
Is there a significant reason to rotate tires as the manual says to do? I have one of those blow out preventors on the each of the front weels and I think it would be pretty expensive to rotate tires on the RV.
waht are those blow out preventors called(brand), where do you get them and how much do they cost? thanks walter
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to gonzo
If you guy's want to try driving square tires just come visit me in a few month. Up here it can get so cold over night that when I leave the house in the morning, the tires on my car are frozen stiff. The area that touches the pavement is frozen flat. It take a mile or so the get the rubber soft and the tire round again. With the shocks frozen too this makes for a bumby ride when I leave the house in the morning.

By the way, the coldest temp I have ever experienced since I live in Canada was in 1995 at CFB Shilo we had -45C with windchill -63C and that is degree C not degree F.
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
After -10 it all feels the same whether it's C or F doesn't matter to me
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rotate, tires, ufo, workhorse