Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #1

When I was in the showroom of a particular large dealer with at least 4 Winnebago and/or Itasca locations, I asked about the Winnebago Destination. They had one on that lot and several in other locations. I got to see it. It had a Freightliner chassis!

I asked if they had any on the UFO chassis and I was informed that this particular dealer (all locations) would not order the MH on the UFO. He led me to believe they would be reluctant or would refuse to order one as a special order for a customer (I have bought 3 different new MHs from this dealer) At this point, I am doubtful about the truthfulness of this salesman.

Still, if it were true, is this a common reaction with Winnebago dealers?

Is it, perhaps a temporary policy with this dealer that will change as the UFO proves itself.

I noted that as late as 2001 this particular dealer was not stocking very many Workhorse chassis MHs and they were not enthusiastic about them at all.

If this is happening at other dealers I might have to go to something besides Winnebago if I want a UFO and a dealer close by, or I might have to conclude that the UFO is not so likely to "fly" (sorry I couldn't resist that).

Has anyone else experienced something similar, or does anyone have info that condtadicts this.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
Max Tunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #2

When I was in the showroom of a particular large dealer with at least 4 Winnebago and/or Itasca locations, I asked about the Winnebago Destination. They had one on that lot and several in other locations. I got to see it. It had a Freightliner chassis!

I asked if they had any on the UFO chassis and I was informed that this particular dealer (all locations) would not order the MH on the UFO. He led me to believe they would be reluctant or would refuse to order one as a special order for a customer (I have bought 3 different new MHs from this dealer) At this point, I am doubtful about the truthfulness of this salesman.

Still, if it were true, is this a common reaction with Winnebago dealers?

Is it, perhaps a temporary policy with this dealer that will change as the UFO proves itself.

I noted that as late as 2001 this particular dealer was not stocking very many Workhorse chassis MHs and they were not enthusiastic about them at all.

If this is happening at other dealers I might have to go to something besides Winnebago if I want a UFO and a dealer close by, or I might have to conclude that the UFO is not so likely to "fly" (sorry I couldn't resist that).

Has anyone else experienced something similar, or does anyone have info that condtadicts this.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
Max Tunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Max, its probably just your dealer. I did a quick search on RV Trader, they have 87 units listed, split between gas and diesel. I think your dealer is taking a convervative potition, waiting to see how the units are accepted by buyers. Times are hard since the Real Estate market has dried-up an easy source of funds and I believe lots of folks have lost the urge to make big dollar purchases.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max Tunnell:
Has anyone else experienced something similar, or does anyone have info that contradicts this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In our smaller market our Winnie dealer has a 37G UFO. They also have a 39W FLCC Destination. I would be very surprised that in the DFW market you wouldn't be able to find a UFO on the lot.

What I have experienced is the older salesman's after shock from the previously failed rear gas experiment that preceded the UFO in the earlier years. They have no clue as to how a rear gas can cool itself properly. They can't grasp the technology. They appear to be forever stuck in the past with their prejudices and it would seem that they don't care.

According to the long in the tooth RV salesmen, gas goes in the front and diesel goes in the rear and it's going to require a catharsis to change that perception. Since I have driven several UFOs, I would have to be severely challenged to buy a front engined gas-powered coach.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:41 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We recently visited a Winnebago dealer who had a Destination on the lot. It was sold so we couldn't look inside, but I found out that it too was on a Freightliner chassis. When I asked about the UFO I was politely told that there were a number of reasons this dealer wasn't ordering that chassis.

1) The price difference isn't that much more to get the FL chassis which comes with full air suspension which is "worth its weight in gold".

2) The UFO is totally new and there will probably be some bugs to work out in the next few years.

This dealer didn't say they would NOT order a coach on the UFO, just that they felt the FL was a no-brainer mostly based on price point.

Makes sense to me.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Horsepowerfan must have visited my dealer, because that was the same response I got.

I was able to go into one before it was sold. Nice unit but not overly impressed.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It would interesting if there was public record or even be able to Google how many UFO's have been sold. I bet not many. Even with all the UFO fans here, not one has supported it by buying one.
I might be interested in one if they were the same price as a front engine gasser.
What's the price difference between a UFO and a DP in the same coach?
A FL DP with lots more pulling and carrying power, air brakes and suspension, engine brake and probably much more solid probably cost a lot more, does'nt it?
Now a days you gotta go diesel if you want power. Out here I bet 90% of pick ups pulling 5th wheels and TTs are diesel. I don't even try to keep up with them in the mountains.
I think the big block gassers are soon to be a thing of the past, like the muscle cars.
How much more is a diesel in a PU over the biggest gasser? 7 or 10 K? Why can't someone offer that in a class A for 7 or 10 K more.
Everybody in the construction industry asks me why I did'nt get a diesel in my MH. I tell them if I want a diesel in a class A, I can figure on doubling, or more what I paid for it, and it's true. At least I don't think a powerstoke or duramax is available in a Class A, Tell me if I'm wrong.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
I bet not many. Even with all the UFO fans here, not one has supported it by buying one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, there you go again. WE DO! have an iRV2 member that has purchased the UFO.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I might be interested in one if they were the same price as a front engine gasser. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So would a thousand other people.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What's the price difference between a UFO and a DP in the same coach? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The 2008 emissions elevate the price considerably.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A FL DP with lots more pulling and carrying power, air brakes and suspension, engine brake and probably much more solid probably cost a lot more, doesn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes Max and so does the Workhorse R-Series RDP with the new CAT C7.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now a days you gotta go diesel if you want power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, Drive a UFO and you will know for sure.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Out here I bet 90% of pick ups pulling 5th wheels and TTs are diesel. I don't even try to keep up with them in the mountains. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, I hold my own vs diesel pickup trucks pulling 5th wheels RVs on grade. W-Series have more gears so it pulls grades a lot better.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
QUOTE]Max, there you go again. WE DO! have an iRV2 member that has purchased the UFO.

Well, who is it? Id like to see his posts about it<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I might be interested in one if they were the same price as a front engine gasser. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So would a thousand other people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What's the price difference between a UFO and a DP in the same coach? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The 2008 emissions elevate the price considerably.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well how much, that tells me nothing

A FL DP with lots more pulling and carrying power, air brakes and suspension, engine brake and probably much more solid probably cost a lot more, doesn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes Max and so does the Workhorse R-Series RDP with the new CAT C7.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is the R series have all listed above and how much more are they over a UFO.

Now a days you gotta go diesel if you want power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, Drive a UFO and you will know for sure.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Out here I bet 90% of pick ups pulling 5th wheels and TTs are diesel. I don't even try to keep up with them in the mountains. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Max, I hold my own vs diesel pickup trucks pulling 5th wheels RVs on grade. W-Series have more gears so it pulls grades a lot better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hate it when they pass me pulling a 5th wheel and a boat too. Driver , I just do not believe that you're 22000 lb rig with a 5 or 6 speed will pull harder up real mountains than my 4 speed 18000 lb rig.
I'm sure a 5 or 6 speed would help but not 4000 lbs worth.
Besides as I've said before Colorado is a great place to test your MH's power without getting any where near the speed limit.
I take pride in passing other MH's up mtns. And not many pass me unless I'm pulling a toad or boat and they're not. I really can't remember any gas MH passing me going up a mountain if neither or both of us were pulling something.
I'd love to test it up any of our long straight mtn highways. We'll both be going around 35 , maybe 40 MPH so no body will know were racing.
Denver, Colorado
Old 09-14-2007, 07:52 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We bought the Winnebago Destination 39G UFO on August 28 and took delivery on August 31. Traded in our 2005 Fleetwood Southwind 37C. Only one short shakedown cruise so far and we love it! Plenty of power and no engine noise! We leave for San Diego on the 22nd so will have more to report after that. The UFO is as advertised, at least so far.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
I hate it when they pass me pulling a 5th wheel and a boat too. Driver , I just do not believe that you're 22000 lb rig with a 5 or 6 speed will pull harder up real mountains than my 4 speed 18000 lb rig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, Archimedes said that he could move the world given the right lever. Now ol' Arch didn't own a Workhorse but the W series equipped with its levers or gears can give you a run that you wouldn't think possible.

Take for instance a 32 foot motorhome on a "W22" chassis. It will rock your world! A veritable RV hot rod in sheep's clothing!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:26 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ed Gray and myself will buy a UFO when the manufacturers build the floor plan we want, with the interiors our wives can accept.

For me, the Georgie Boy is close, needs a little tweaking to get me in it. Hard to access fridge with slide in, shower stall tight for my wide body --

Dual quad positraction 409 --- words from a 60's song, performance from DriVer's MH. check out his tail lights, all yer gonna see as he roars past ---
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
I hate it when they pass me pulling a 5th wheel and a boat too. Driver , I just do not believe that you're 22000 lb rig with a 5 or 6 speed will pull harder up real mountains than my 4 speed 18000 lb rig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, Archimedes said that he could move the world given the right lever. Now ol' Arch didn't own a Workhorse but the W series equipped with its levers or gears can give you a run that you wouldn't think possible.

Take for instance a 32 foot motorhome on a "W22" chassis. It will rock your world! A veritable RV hot rod in sheep's clothing! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe, I'd just like to try it, maybe EB Eisenhour Tunnel but there are plenty out here.
With all due respect, talk is cheap.
If you're wrong, I'll start burnin the hot dogs tilyou get there, and a tall, ice coke too, for the ride down.
Denver, Colorado
Old 09-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #14
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeT:
For me, the Georgie Boy is close, needs a little tweaking to get me in it. Hard to access fridge with slide in, shower stall tight for my wide body -- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
At the Hershey show, they told us Georgie Boy was modifying the design to move the fridge forward a bit and angle the corner of the wall a little more to allow you to get the fridge at least partially open with the slide in. Doesn't help you with the shower though. I kind of liked the Georgie boy, too; but for me, the Vacationer was even more to my liking. If I remember, they have a garden tub/shower which is fairly big.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote