Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 12:29 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ultra Gauge MX

Thinking about buying the Ultra Gauge MX model, but not sure if it will read the transmission temperature on a 2004 Workhorse with a 8.1 engine. I have searched this site and around the Web. Have several places were it worked on some Chevy products, but several failed to mention the year models. I was just curious if anyone has used this devise on a 2004 8.1 Chevy or Workhorse chassis? If not the Ultra Gauge MX, how about the Scan Gauge 2? Thanks in advance.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 06:06 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a scangauge II connected in my 2004 w22 and TFT (transmission fluid temperature ) is one of the 4 things that I monitor when traveling. Not sure about the Ultra Gauge MX setup but a quick look at it seems to indicate it can also be programed for TFT.

Jim
Old 03-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

The LL Scan gage II can read TFT on Allison 5 speed trannies used by WCC. It cannot read TFT on the six speed versions.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #4

I too have a ScanGageII and transmission temp is something that I'd very much like to monitor, but for the life of me I can't see where mine will show this. Am I missing something, or are there different options?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #5

Yep, just like ed and others have said. The gauge will pick up TFT on the Allison 5 speed. Not the 6 speed though.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchflicke View Post
I too have a ScanGageII and transmission temp is something that I'd very much like to monitor, but for the life of me I can't see where mine will show this. Am I missing something, or are there different options?
The TFT display is one of many in the X-gauge range of things the SG II will monitor. For a better understanding, go here: Oemy's Web Site - OBD II Scan Tools What I didn't see there were the codes that have to be precisely entered into the SG II to get the TFT to display.

Try searching for codes if they aren't in your owners manual, or PM Oemy for help. His screen name here is OEM-TECH, or something very close to that.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #7

Thanks everyone that helped me with this. Now it's time to figure out the code for TFT. At first look the manual doesn't seem to provide this. I shall look a bunch harder and then probably have to PM Oemy for more info.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #8

I found the codes in the Scangauge.com web site. Now to figure out how to enter them. The manual seems to be fairly simple!!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Sad but true, I do not have the Allison Transmission. I have the GM 4L85-E transmission. I did notice on the Scangauge 2 web site that it shows a code for excluded Allison Transmission. Hopefully that means for the GM Model. Thanks for all the input. May have to go with Scanguage.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:39 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchflicke View Post
To get tranny temp, you have to program an X-gauge.

I've uploaded a link to the GM codes for 8.1L and instructions to my website that you can download. Look for the last one "Allison Transmission Fluid Temperature" on the list.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...zg4OWYyZjY3OGU
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Scangauge II will handle the TFT on an Allison 5 speed but not the 6 speed.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #12

I got it to work! It wasn’t a particularly easy task and because I was driving the motorhome nearly all day each day, messing around with it after dinner was a bit tricky. First I had the wrong protocol ie CAN something vs VPW and then i needed to add the (01) to the end of the first string of characters. But in the long run it was worth it. Thanks for the help .
Last question on this topic . Does it matter if the ScanGage is left connected indefinitely? I noticed that the ScanGage lights up every once in a while whilst parked. I was parked for two months in Arizona and when I noticed this, I disconnected the cable at the unit. Necessary??

Stan
Old 03-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #13

I always unplugged mine at the unit to stop the intermittent light on issue. It never lost the 4 settings I usually watched. Not as easy to unplug at the OBD II port.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
How To Add Xgauge - Oemys and click on Item 4 Scan Gauge II.

Or

Send it to me with return postage and I will add them for you.