Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm scheduled to have the ultra power upgrades done on my Southwind. I'm having the computer, plug wires and plugs done. I may also elect to have the air intake done too. I'm curious about the exhaust upgrade. Anyone had this done? What's your thoughs on it?? I'm primarily looking for better gas mileage rather then power......but power is good too. Thanks
Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm scheduled to have the ultra power upgrades done on my Southwind. I'm having the computer, plug wires and plugs done. I may also elect to have the air intake done too. I'm curious about the exhaust upgrade. Anyone had this done? What's your thoughs on it?? I'm primarily looking for better gas mileage rather then power......but power is good too. Thanks
Brian
Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #3

My understanding, in talking with Steve and Mike last summer in their shop, is that the prime reason for their power upgrades are primarily just that; i.e. power enhancers. The small increase potential in MPG is basically a side benefit. You'd probably want to call them for clarification.
Steve

rvr2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just recently had the Ultra Power, plug wires, plug regap and CAI installed. I wish I hadn't gone with the CAI. It is very loud. Not while cruising, but when accelerating and pulling a grade. I even wrapped it with "dog house" insulation material and added the material under the floor boards. Still loud. My first big trip will be on June 18th when we go to Magnolia, Texas to see my daughters. The round trip will be about 3,000 miles. I will see how it goes on the trip, but will probable put the old air cleaner system back on when I return. If I do, I'll be selling the CAI for half price. As for the mufflers, I don't know. If they are as loud as the CAI I would say no.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:46 AM   #5

I have WH 8.1 that Brazels did the ECM,plug wires,& CAI. CAI is louder than I expected but I like the benefit it produces. On Brazels Dyno I produced 340 hp to rear wheel and an amazing 490 ft lbs of torque! plus a little better mileage so I'm very happy with the setup...

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Fred & Robert,

Find and read the CAI Version 2 air box I recently installed on my rig and published in this forum.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:39 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the new version. I believe a lot has to do with the design of the space in the front end area of the coach. Driver, I looked at your post regarding the air conditioning tube. My coach does not have one. It drips right out of the evaporator. I even had Redlands Truck inspect other Dolphin L/X's and they are the same as mine. Which means it drips down onto the top of the CAI box. Like I said, I'll give it a 3000 mile test and see if I can handle it.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Loud, I don't understand ! How could it be that loud, my beast when cruising is all most undetectable. If you think The CAI is loud ya'll better never consider the Mufflers. Maybe you guyz need to turn the hearing aids down a bit .

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to agree with JM13, while the CAI is a little bit louder than the stock unit, when accelerating, I don't find it objectionable. The stock unit also made noise when you put your foot into it. And I can't tell any difference at all in sound while cruising down the road at a steady speed, no matter what the speed is.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with Jestme too. My diy CAI is open to air and I just barely hear it when accelerating. BTW w/o refueling yet but on same road w/same conditions comp shows a 2.3 mpg improvement with new Ultrapower.

Anyone know what brand mufflers, stock # and price Brazels charges? Taylor wire stock # Brazels uses too?

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:31 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easyrider:
I have to agree with JM13, while the CAI is a little bit louder than the stock unit, when accelerating, I don't find it objectionable. The stock unit also made noise when you put your foot into it. And I can't tell any difference at all in sound while cruising down the road at a steady speed, no matter what the speed is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The CAI is definitely louder than the stock unit, but that has to be balanced with the fact the radiator fans don't come on as often and the transmission downshifts less frequently.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote