Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2005, 05:42 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
He is my 2 cents worth... Why doesn't WHCC add all the whiz bangs... They don't have any incentive to!

The rear trac bar cost me $70 in retail parts. Now, take this to the corporate level and the cost is probably even less. But, add in R&D, Production Time, parts, Fed approval and so on the costs go up.

As far as reprogramming the GM computer.... It is not child's play, I know as I have done similar coding on other computer devices. Cracking the code (IE-reverse engineering) is time consuming unless you have the code or some other method. I doubt that GM gave Brazel's any help.

Finally there is a item called ROI! RETURN ON INVESTMENT. This plays a big part in what gets added and what doesn't. This is why there is the after market folks such as MSD, Edelbrock, Crane Cams, Hooker Headers, Richmond Transmissions and so on. Brazel's is filling a void that GM and WH don't want to deal with.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2005, 03:39 PM   #30
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Thanks OEMTECH,
We do many hours of testing on these coaches using our Dynomometer & we take these very seriously.We just finished a 2002 8.1L W20 we tested it,programmed it & retested it & here are the results.
BEFORE

Air fuel ratio 12.3 to 1(at cruise with a 25% load simulating level travel)
Miles per gallon average using a scan gauge was 7.1 MPG
Horsepower 258 @ 3100 RPM
Torque 372 @ 2480 RPM

After
Air fuel ratio 14.1 to 1 at same load
MPG 8.9
Horsepower 331 @ 3450 RPM
Torque 468 @ 2800 RPM

The only Modification to this coach was an AFE air filter.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:25 AM   #31

I have a few questions re the ultrapower upgrade. Is it CARB approved for on-road use in CA, or is it sold with a disclaimer that only allows the product to be used for off-road use by CARB? If it is approved by CARB for on-road use, what are the details of the CARB executive order? As far a I know any modifications to the engine which may affect emissions are not legal in CA.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:42 AM   #32
Official iRV2 Sponsor

CARB approval is pending,although we did a test on a 2003 8.1L chevy Suburban.It burned cleaner(less emissions)than the stock program.In fact the smog technician said he had never seen a chevy v8 "that clean" before.All other parts IE Mufflers,air filter,ignition wires are all carb approved.

Mike
One interesting note,you are from Ohio & are concerned about california air resource board info,that is very interesting.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:11 AM   #33

What are my options if I have the ultra-power upgrade fitted to my RV and wish to relocate to CA? In addition I have heard that there is also a federal anti-tampering law, but lets ignore that for the moment, as I'm sure you have this approval pending as well. The real problem I have is with my Workhorse warranty - will Workhorse still replace my transmission or engine if anything goes wrong with either of these, and they find out I have had my PCM calibrations, and intake system modified, or do you take responsibility? Do you offer a warranty that covers not just the parts you supply, but any parts potentially affected by this change? Sorry for all the questions, but last one - who developed the PCM calibration file changes? I would like more info as I would like to gain the benefit of improved fuel consumption, but can not afford to have the Workhorse warranty I have remaining affected - have you been in contact with Workhorse in this regard?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:39 AM   #34
Official iRV2 Sponsor

We (Brazel's RV Performance) are an authorized Workhorse warranty center.Yes we do have product liability in case you have a failure related to our product.If you moved to California & smogged your coach,the Ultrapower would not keep you from passing,in fact I stated in an earlier post it burns cleaner.GM Tech's can not detect the program,it is written in GM language,they can not pull it up on a scanner.We developed the calibration files with months of testing,we have hundreds of cal files as all coaches & customers are different in what they want.The first coach to come to my shop from this web site,We will program at no charge to prove it.I offered this to Driver but have not heard back.877-786-1576

Mike Bronzini
Old 12-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BRAZELSRV:
I offered this to Driver but have not heard back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike, I regret that I didn't respond more quickly to your offer however "WHEN" we make it out to Centralia, WA, I'll look you up and we can do lunch.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 12-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #36
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ok,Driver.I Just wanted an E-mail.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
Hey BRAZELSRV,
Can I dive up to your shop and get a free program? Do I need to race everyone up there?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #38
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Dennis,
When are you coming?Yes we will program your coach at no charge & you can evaluate it on your way home.THe only catch is you must post your results here in this Forum,OK?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #39

Freightliner Owners Club
It looks like right after Christmas.will yin be open that week? I will gladly post the results!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #40
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Yes we will be open Tuesday thru Friday that week.Call me at the Shop Tomorrow 877-786-1576
Old 12-05-2005, 11:56 AM   #41

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BRAZELSRV:
We (Brazel's RV Performance) are an authorized Workhorse warranty center.Yes we do have product liability in case you have a failure related to our product.If you moved to California & smogged your coach,the Ultrapower would not keep you from passing,in fact I stated in an earlier post it burns cleaner.GM Tech's can not detect the program,it is written in GM language,they can not pull it up on a scanner.We developed the calibration files with months of testing,we have hundreds of cal files as all coaches & customers are different in what they want.The first coach to come to my shop from this web site,We will program at no charge to prove it.I offered this to Driver but have not heard back.877-786-1576

Mike Bronzini </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully you are still around if something does go wrong, and either the transmission or engine needs replacement. Workhorse will not cover any warranty claims once a modicfication has been made that they have not approved....not even to a warranty center.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #42
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Magnussen-moss act protects the customer in the case of warranty denial,they must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that MOD caused a failure.Then they can only void the part that failed not the whole chassis.In my twelve years this has never happend,but if it did we have product liability insurance.We will be around!
Workhorse nor any other manufacture cannot void your warranty because of a modification...Cant be anymore plain english than that.We have one hundred and thirty three coaches and zero problems,not to mention our other dealers.
Closed Thread