Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In late October I had the Ultrapower Performance Package installed on my Coach (without the new mufflers). I am only a few hundred pounds under the GVW and was hoping for an increase in both performance and fuel economy.

After I had the work done I took off up the Cajon Pass in CA. I set the cruse control at 65 at the bottom of the pass. It dropped to 4th gear at 62 then accelerated back to 65 two or three times. When I hit the steepest portion of the pass it went to 4th at 62 then to 3rd at 58. It dropped to 55 then started accelerating back to 65 by the top of the pass.

In the past, 50 was the best speed I could hold on the steepest part of the pass and it wouldn't accelerate until near the very top.

We then went on a two week trip from Riverside to Amarillo on I40, then through the Texas panhandle and hill country and on to San Antonio. We came back on I10.

I used the cruise control set at 65 the entire trip, except in lower speed zones. Other than on the initial climb out on the Cajon pass, the lowest uphill speed was consistently at 58 with an immediate climb back to 65.

The overall performance increase was quite impressive.

With respect to fuel economy. My ongoing average had been right at 6mpg prior to the installation. The three thousand miles immediately prior to the installation used 501 gallons for 3019 miles for 6mpg. On the 3172 mile trip we used 453 gallons of gas for an average of 7mpg.

The Ultrapower cost approximately $1,400. With a fuel economy pick up of 1mpg (17%), it will take about 25,000 miles to break even on the cost.

Overall I think it was a good investment.

Bill

Workhorse W22
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In late October I had the Ultrapower Performance Package installed on my Coach (without the new mufflers). I am only a few hundred pounds under the GVW and was hoping for an increase in both performance and fuel economy.

After I had the work done I took off up the Cajon Pass in CA. I set the cruse control at 65 at the bottom of the pass. It dropped to 4th gear at 62 then accelerated back to 65 two or three times. When I hit the steepest portion of the pass it went to 4th at 62 then to 3rd at 58. It dropped to 55 then started accelerating back to 65 by the top of the pass.

In the past, 50 was the best speed I could hold on the steepest part of the pass and it wouldn't accelerate until near the very top.

We then went on a two week trip from Riverside to Amarillo on I40, then through the Texas panhandle and hill country and on to San Antonio. We came back on I10.

I used the cruise control set at 65 the entire trip, except in lower speed zones. Other than on the initial climb out on the Cajon pass, the lowest uphill speed was consistently at 58 with an immediate climb back to 65.

The overall performance increase was quite impressive.

With respect to fuel economy. My ongoing average had been right at 6mpg prior to the installation. The three thousand miles immediately prior to the installation used 501 gallons for 3019 miles for 6mpg. On the 3172 mile trip we used 453 gallons of gas for an average of 7mpg.

The Ultrapower cost approximately $1,400. With a fuel economy pick up of 1mpg (17%), it will take about 25,000 miles to break even on the cost.

Overall I think it was a good investment.

Bill

Workhorse W22
Old 11-19-2005, 07:54 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Bill,

Were you pulling a toad on your trip. I am thinking on having Ultrapower installed. I live near the Cajon Pass and know what you are describing as to the ascent. Been there many times.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Someone got a quick link to this product? Google got me lots of junk, but not this product.

Fred
Old 11-19-2005, 11:52 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred K:
Hey Bill,

Were you pulling a toad on your trip. I am thinking on having Ultrapower installed. I live near the Cajon Pass and know what you are describing as to the ascent. Been there many times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, my Saturn.

Bill

Workhorse W22
Old 11-19-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That's a great post Bill. There's some really good information in there and you have done an excellent job of tracking your results. It sounds like this package is a real winner. Please tell us more about where you got it, how much it costs, etc. This sounds like a good investment for quite a few RVers.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Old 11-22-2005, 05:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fom Cruzer: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Please tell us more about where you got it, how much it costs, etc. This sounds like a good investment for quite a few RVers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I 2nd this.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:31 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Please tell us more about where you got it, how much it costs, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the work done at Redlands Truck Service (a Workhorse service facility) in Redlands, CA. Phone 909-792-0314. The cost was $1,400, but I didn't have the mufflers installed. Those would cost a little more.

The other source that I am aware of is Brazel's RV Performance in Centralia, WA. Phone 360-736-9494.

Bill

Workhorse W22
Old 11-22-2005, 08:28 AM   #9
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ultrapower is being installed at Indio(FMCA)in early january & the Quartzsite sports & RV show January 21-29 2006.We will have four installation bays to do the installs.We will be installing the Programming,Ignition wires,mufflers & cold air intake kits.Also we will be doing suspension upgrades & many other products.For appointments call 541-441-0377

for more info go to http://www.ultradistributing.com www.ultradistributing.com
Old 11-23-2005, 06:49 AM   #10
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I even went to your site. What is a "ultrapower"? Is it a chip or what?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:32 AM   #11
Official iRV2 Sponsor

JCM,

It is not a "chip".It is programming that goes directly into the engine control module & changes perameters in the operating system.Our programming we can change up to 400 perameters,aftermarket chips or download modules only change about 14 different perameters.Our Ultrapower is also dyno tested on well over 100 coaches,to prove the power gains(60-95 Horsepower)& to test mileage at a simulated load before and after.We are seeing 1-3 Miles per gallon increase,with the larger gains coming at 55-62 miles per hour.For instance the Banks Power Pack gives an acual gain of 25-28 horsepower on the Dynomometer over stock after it is installed.This usually costs between 2450.00 to 2650.00 installed.This means it will cost between $87.50-94.64 per horsepower gained.On our kit which includes two stailess steel free flowing mufflers,regapping the spark plugs,installing high performance ignition wires,an air filter & ECM programming,we typically get 75+ horsepower & installed cost is 2150.00.So our cost is $28.66,that is almost $60 per horsepower.On top of that you also get the mileage increase.Some customers want both Banks & Ultrapower,we can also do that & we get gain in 100+ HP range.The cost for both would be 3900.00-4150.00,I hope this answers your questions.

Mike
Old 11-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
My Workhorse is rated at 340 horsepower and my Alison Transmission is limited to a max of 340 horsepower. So I will have to say No Thanks. I would like the extra horsepower but don't want to void my transmission warranty and have to foot the bill for a replacement.
W22 Workhorse
Old 11-24-2005, 01:23 AM   #13

Do you have to run premium fuel with this upgrade?
Old 11-24-2005, 05:53 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turbo6gto:
Do you have to run premium fuel with this upgrade? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. I use regular.

Bill

Workhorse W22
Closed Thread