Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #1

ultrapower programming

Hi all , We have a 05 Sea Breeze on a w24, I'am thinking of haveing the Ultrapower programming installed and would like to know if there any downfalls with it. Will have it done at Redlands Truck, if I do get it, any help will be great Thanks Ken
kenscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenscomet View Post
Hi all , We have a 05 Sea Breeze on a w24, I'am thinking of haveing the Ultrapower programming installed and would like to know if there any downfalls with it. Will have it done at Redlands Truck, if I do get it, any help will be great Thanks Ken
Don't hesitate, do it! I haven't had any downsides to mine. The ONLY thing I can think of might be if you travel exclusively in the mountains, but I doubt that will happen. I'm a very satisfied customer.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenscomet View Post
Hi all , We have a 05 Sea Breeze on a w24, I am thinking of having the Ultrapower programming installed and would like to know if there any downfalls with it. Will have it done at Redlands Truck, if I do get it, any help will be great Thanks Ken
kenscomet, The programming appears to be quite prolific here and you should be able to get a lot of feedback about it.

I know that Steve does not exceed the safety parameters that GM built into the ECM but he optimizes all the values in the calibration tables based on direct computer observation using a water brake dynamometer.

An ECM ProScan will be recorded prior to the install displaying the current running profile of the engine. A determination will be made using the results to verify that the engine is running within normal limits. If everything is AOK the UP should install and work as intended.

WCC has recently released a TSB stating quite clearly that they do not endorse or recommend that an owner opt to change the calibration of the ECM or modify the fuel or air intake systems. Justifying one performance envelope over another must be challenging since WCC had a limited release of its performance option the SSC Chassis which featured Banks exhaust headers, SSC horn button, push button shifter and a suspension bolt on track bar. There were also His and Hers SSC jackets as well.

The last SSC optioned vehicle that I saw was in Tampa at the SuperShow. I believe the option was installed on a Coachmen motorhome.

On my motorhome I have the high performance SSC horn button.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have the full banks set up and the ultra-power up grade. I called Brazels RV in Washington and Jon sent me a updated ECM and i installed it my self, very easy. Jon was very great to work with. I am happy with the ultra-power upgrade. The increase in power is Great but not much increase in gas mileage still 6 to 7 mpg at best. I did see an increase in the temp of 5 Degrees(shown on the scan gauge). I am running 90% of my travel out west and have the W-24 chassis also. I set my cruise at 64 mph at about 2600 rpm, I only have the 5 speed. It will hold at that while travel down I-40 & other highways. When it down shifts it only does one gear at a time. Good Luck JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I too, have been considering having the Ultra Power reprogramming upgrade as well as the Grade Brake however I am a bit concerned about a couple of the things Mr JP reported. First, he reported that the temperature of the coolant (?) increased by 5 degrees. This cannot be healthy, or is it? Also, his W-24 runs at 64 mph at 2600 RPM's. My rig with a stock ECM cruises at 62-63 mph at 2200 RPM's. The 400 additional RPM's would burn more fuel, or does the reprogrammed ECM offset the increased RPM's by being more efficient?

My questions are in no way a critique of Mr JP's rig or anyone else's, rather just questions that I have. All motorhomes are a little different due to weight, tires, driving habits, etc.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
Also, his W-24 runs at 64 mph at 2600 RPM's. My rig with a stock ECM cruises at 62-63 mph at 2200 RPM's.
Bob, That's correct. The W-24 has a bigger gear set so it can haul more weight. The standard gear set on your rig could be a 4.78 as oppoosed to a 5.38. Your rig at the same speed will show fewer RPM.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Driver is correct on the W-24 gears. The temp has been no issue i spoke to jon at brazels about it and he was not concerned. 210 is the hottest I have seen. I would say go for the ups!! I would do it again!! Good Luck
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks Mike and Mr JP. It makes a lot of sense and answers my questions.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought it, and then after a year, was able to get a refund. I would save your money for gas. Just MHO. I never saw the returns some did...especially up in the Rockies where I live.

I installed some Magnaflows on my dual exhaust, and they provided more power than the ECM tune did. With all the 8.1 engine failures lately , I'm thrilled with my stock ECM.....

I would go with free flowing mufflers and a CAI before I would mess with an engine "tune".
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Ultrapower was installed on our 2004 32' W20 about 5 years ago. We have increased power which manifests in fewer downshift on the hills and there is about a 3/4 mpg increase over that time.

No problems and I would recommend it highly.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had UltraPower installed on my 2004 38' W22 6 years ago. There was an immediate pick up of approximately 1 mpg. However, with the increased use of ethanol as an additive in the past couple of years, it has dropped off a little.

The increase in power power was most notable. Brazel's put my coach on their dyno. The rear wheel HP is 335 @ 2750 rpm, max torque is 490 @ 3500. Stock rear wheel HP is about 270. The HP increase makes climbing hills a little easier. I go to Colorado a couple of times a year. The power pick up on the high mountain passes allows me to stay in second gear a lot longer than it did before the upgrade.

I had one of the engine failures noted in the poll. It seems the failures are split about 50/50 between those with and without the UP upgrade. I really don't have any way of knowing if UP caused the engine failure or if it was just bad luck.

Even with the engine failure, I am still happy with the power and mileage increase and would recommend it.

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think my question is worth resurrecting this thread...seems related...

OK...here is an interesting question reference Ultra-Power or any performance package.

I have the 2100 MH Allison 5 speed tranny. According to Allison literature...

http://www.stewartandstevenson.com/a...Series2010.pdf

...my tranny's Max input power it 340 HP and max input torque is 575 lb-ft.

So...can the performance mods that increase HP and torque have unintended consequences? For those with extended service contracts would that be a direct cause to void tranny coverage?

I'm just wondering'
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post

So...can the performance mods that increase HP and torque have unintended consequences? For those with extended service contracts would that be a direct cause to void tranny coverage?

I'm just wondering'
Of course it can, in fact even missing a service by a few hundred miles can do it, let alone a modification like that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
HELLO MR_D

Ya, the issue on warranty/service contract is very true.

On a different not, warranty/service contract aside, has there been any reports of increasing HP showing a trend in broken trannies?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote