Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Upgrade of suspension ?

Hi All RVer"s,

I want to upgrade the ride on my 1997 Southwind, But I am trying to get ideas on what would be more beneficial. I have read some about the Shocks. It would seem that a lot of people went with the Koni shocks is that a good bet? Also want to change the tail wagging... As this is all original with just 5,000 miles on it I was wondering if air bags in the rear or stabilizer bars would be better. I did replace the airbags in the front already witch did help some... Any suggestions please?

Thanks,
Tim
iluvmycorsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #2

Tim,

The classic correction for tail wagging (side-to-side movement) is a rear track bar (Panhard bar). Stabilizer bars (Anti sway bars) reduce lean. If your Southwind has a Chevrolet P-30 chassis, it may already have a big rear sway bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycorsos View Post
Hi All RVer"s,

I want to upgrade the ride on my 1997 Southwind, But I am trying to get ideas on what would be more beneficial. I have read some about the Shocks. It would seem that a lot of people went with the Koni shocks is that a good bet? Also want to change the tail wagging... As this is all original with just 5,000 miles on it I was wondering if air bags in the rear or stabilizer bars would be better. I did replace the airbags in the front already witch did help some... Any suggestions please?

Thanks,
Tim
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Upgrade of suspension ?

Joni shocks is a big YES. If steering is sloppy, get a Safe T Plus. DIY video on you tube. If sway is still a problem after front and rear anti- sway bars, then add Sumo Springs.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Consider a set of Henderson Bell Cranks.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

I like you have an tail wagging problem and i really looked into this and it is due to the sideways deflection in the rear springs so first check all suspension parts in the rear then check rv height all around and great addition would then be trak bar
french7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

On my P-32 chassis, I went with a Blue-Ox Tiger Trak to get rid of the tail wag, Koni FSD shocks to improve the ride, Henderson bell crank and Safe T Plus for the steering control, and finally Henderson coil springs up front to replace the air bags. This made an unbelievable improvement to the whole machine, but it wasn't cheap.
EasyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #7

I just made my first trip in my used 2008 Monaco W-22. On my first local shake down drive, it had a lot of wander and I added Safe T Plus and wow, what a difference. That should be standard equipment. I also took to a commercial tire shop and had them balance all 6 tires and also a difference. However, I did not check tire pressure as my gauge would not fit the placement of the valve stems without removing the wheel covers so I went with what the tire dealer installed thinking they knew what to put in.

It rode pretty rough ride outbound, when I got to my 2nd home, I had a tire gauge that would work and found the rears had between 100-105, the Mfg recommended 85 psi which made the ride home much quieter and the coach handled much better. I am of the school of using Mfg recommended pressure instead of weighing as I often vary the weight of my coach by a large % depending on what I am using it for.

A question I have, didn't workhorse go to Bilstein shocks or at least as an option and if so what year did they do this and how can you tell for sure? I looked under the coach but could not see any lettering, the coach only had 6k miles on it when purchased so I doubt shocks have worn out, but I would like to improve the ride some more, is there any way to stop the rear overhang from bouncing so much?
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
I just made my first trip in my used 2008 Monaco W-22. On my first local shake down drive, it had a lot of wander and I added Safe T Plus and wow, what a difference. That should be standard equipment. I also took to a commercial tire shop and had them balance all 6 tires and also a difference. However, I did not check tire pressure as my gauge would not fit the placement of the valve stems without removing the wheel covers so I went with what the tire dealer installed thinking they knew what to put in.

It rode pretty rough ride outbound, when I got to my 2nd home, I had a tire gauge that would work and found the rears had between 100-105, the Mfg recommended 85 psi which made the ride home much quieter and the coach handled much better. I am of the school of using Mfg recommended pressure instead of weighing as I often vary the weight of my coach by a large % depending on what I am using it for.

A question I have, didn't workhorse go to Bilstein shocks or at least as an option and if so what year did they do this and how can you tell for sure? I looked under the coach but could not see any lettering, the coach only had 6k miles on it when purchased so I doubt shocks have worn out, but I would like to improve the ride some more, is there any way to stop the rear overhand from bouncing so much?
Your chassis has Bilstein shocks as standard original equipment. They will be yellow over blue. WCC went to them around 2004 or 2005. SOME people think they are too harsh and replace them with Koni FSD.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, upgrade