RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Valve Stems & Dually Extenders

Just purchased a 05 MH about two months ago that is on a W22 chassis, the date code on the 235/80/22.5 Michelin XRV's are 2804, on steel wheels, so I'm going to replace them in the next couple of weeks on our 1st trip out to Oregon, the side walls aren't cracking and they only have about 18k miles on them, but I'll feel better if they're new.
So far I've decided on the Toyo M154 size 245/75/22.5's and have already ordered the Dyna Beads for the balancing, the large ones that don't require the filtered valve stems. Also I'll get an alignment done at the same time.
My question has to do with the valve stems and extenders, the existing stems are metal, maybe brass? Do these get replaced when you change out to the new tires?
Currently it has the Wheel Master wheel covers with some type of braid steel valve extenders that are mounted to the wheel cover, I assume at min. the extenders will need to be replaced, but with what? Go back to the SS braided valve extenders? Change to the metal valve extenders, Crossfires or the DuallyValve from Borg? Or any other suggestions?

mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllk3rd View Post
...........My question has to do with the valve stems and extenders, the existing stems are metal, maybe brass? Do these get replaced when you change out to the new tires?
Currently it has the Wheel Master wheel covers with some type of braid steel valve extenders that are mounted to the wheel cover, I assume at min. the extenders will need to be replaced, but with what? Go back to the SS braided valve extenders? Change to the metal valve extenders, Crossfires or the DuallyValve from Borg? Or any other suggestions?
I think you'll find the least costly option is to have them install LONG metal valve stem on the inner wheels before they mount the new tires. There are stems long enough to reach thru the outer rim without the need for any type of "extenders" which are prone to damage and creating leaks, in my experience.

The only downside I can think of is that you'll lose some of the flexability you now enjoy regarding tire rotation. With the steel wheels, you can swap them around any way you want, but the long stems would not be appropriate at other positions. Ed

edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toyo 154 are E balanced and do not require any balancing beads or weights--When installed make sure that the yellow or orange dot is line up with the valve stem. Go to Toyo web site and they will inform you all you need--make sure that you register with them also. I've got the Toyo 154's on my W22 chasis 2004 Allegro Bay and they're a great tire for the money. When purchasing the tire make sure the date code is within a couple of weeks of each other--It would be nice if all 6 had the same date like 3011 (30th week of 2011). See this website for the EBalance info on the 154's:MEDIUM COMMERCIAL TRUCK | Toyo Tires

WoodyK
2004 Allegro Bay.
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyk View Post
Toyo 154 are E balanced and do not require any balancing beads or weights--When installed make sure that the yellow or orange dot is line up with the valve stem. Go to Toyo web site and they will inform you all you need--make sure that you register with them also. I've got the Toyo 154's on my W22 chasis 2004 Allegro Bay and they're a great tire for the money. When purchasing the tire make sure the date code is within a couple of weeks of each other--It would be nice if all 6 had the same date like 3011 (30th week of 2011). See this website for the EBalance info on the 154's:MEDIUM COMMERCIAL TRUCK | Toyo Tires

WoodyK
2004 Allegro Bay.
Just got off the phone with Toyo, E-Balance has nothing to do with the actual balancing of the tire, please see below from their web site;
Improved Wear Performance and Long Life
  • e-balance profile minimizes growth of the tread profile and maintains uniform and flatter tread radius for the entire life of the casing.
  • e-balance design provides even contact pressure distribution across the tread surface resulting in smooth wear and long life
  • Excellent Profile Retention
    • e-balance improves profile retention by reducing strain at the belt and ply turn-up edges
Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
What is the price range for these tires? Are they less than Michelin or GY G670?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
What is the price range for these tires? Are they less than Michelin or GY G670?
In my size, Toyo about $350 + fet, Michelin xrv about $450 + fet
Old 09-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
In my size, Toyo about $350 + fet, Michelin xrv about $450 + fet
Just purchased 6 Sumitomo 245/75R22.5 14 ply for $328 ea. installed with equal balance in south Jersey. They ride as good as the Michelins I replaced due to sidewall cracks. $1000 cheaper than new Michelins.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just had the Borgs installed. So far they are great.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #9

Here's a link to a thread about my experience with the Borg tire valves, which has been all good!

Valve Extenders/Replacements

Wayne
Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i had the DuallyValves stems installed last fall when I had new tires put on.
They sure do make it easy to add and check air. I wish I had got them years ago.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The Crossfire System works well for me and it balances the pressure between both tires.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
The Crossfire System works well for me and it balances the pressure between both tires.
The Crossfire System looks like it would work well, I assume that I'll need to get it weighed so I can ascertain what the tire pressure should be, so I can order the correct pressure rating.
Do you use a TPMS on yours? If so what brand.
Thanks
Mike
Old 09-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Do you use a TPMS on yours? If so what brand.
Mike, I use a Truck Systems Technologies (TST), Model 507 system. I use a single sensor on the Crossfire inflation valve. TST is donating a 6 sensor, Model 507 system and it will be awarded as one of our Grand Prizes at the 2011 National Rally.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Mike, I use a Truck Systems Technologies (TST), Model 507 system. I use a single sensor on the Crossfire inflation valve. TST is donating a 6 sensor, Model 507 system and it will be awarded as one of our Grand Prizes at the 2011 National Rally.
Hey DriVer,
We have a 38' MH and toad, do you monitor your toad and if so do did you need to install the repeater?
The 2011 National Rally, where is it located and when is it?
Thanks
Mike