Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Various sway bar brand options - question??

Hello and tks for any feedback.

I plan to install a rear trac bar and a rear sway bar next spring on our 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager. It is 39.5 ft long on a 2006 W24 chassis. Overhand is a mile long. Already has front trac bar and Koni FSD's added which were surprisingly helpful.

I have found 3 sway bar brands and don't want to dish any one brand. Money is important. We noticed that the Roadmaster and Brazels are identical in cost. The Hellwig brand is $350 less which is a considerable difference.

Anyone have info comparing these? That is, assuming we get what we pay for, what performance difference would the higher cost brands have over the lower cost one??

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Determine the diameter and go with the largest one regardless of the brand name.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandcaren View Post
I have found 3 sway bar brands and don't want to dish any one brand. Money is important. We noticed that the Roadmaster and Brazels are identical in cost. The Hellwig brand is $350 less which is a considerable difference.
There are 2 other track bar suppliers out there that you missed. There are not many companies that make the track bars so they may all have in-common physical dimensions and properties.

What you need to do aside from cost considerations alone is to establish a relationship with a vendor and go forward from there. Get on the phone and ask questions.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good advise, but I was not as clear as I should have been.

I know which trac bar I will purchase.
Its the large differences in sway bar prices that is unusual.
And yes diameter makes a difference, but the grade of steel and how it is heat treated is also important.

As I read thru history here, it seems everyone who has used any brand is happy. Maybe that is enough.

And talking on the phone is good advise that I will follow.

Tks

I guess if anyone has had any problems with any sway bars, such as delivery, cost, installation difficulties, quality, etc - those comments would be helpful as well.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Roadmaster sway bar is only about $100 more thru us than the Hellwig sway bar.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jon, than is good news indeed as I already intended to get the trac bar from you regardless of the sway source.

This is a done deal except for timing. With DW conerns over Christmas probably early next year. Its easy to find you and I printed this so we are good to go. Its mail order as I live in Virginia.

One performance question. On an older post here, the post said an installer somewhere told the customer the Roadmaster sway bar was the best choice because it "contributed" to reducing the lateral motion as well, that is, it was providing some of the same correction as the trac bar. Is this true? Other readers may find that interesting.

Thanks for advise and help.

Happy Holidays
Old 11-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hers's my 2 cents: I was considering getting a rear trac bar on my 32 footer which does not have the overhang as your rig does. I established a relationship with a shop in Pennsylvania and the owner advised me that the Roadmaster Anti Sway Bar would accomplish most of what the trac bar does plus do what a rear sway bar does. I was a little leery due to the price difference, but went with his advise. We had the Roadmaster installed, a trac bar on the front and 4 new Koni FSD's.

The shop owner was correct and my rig rides like a dream now; very little sway and virtually no porposing (spelling). I have six Michelin XZE LRH tires on my rig and keep them a little hard and can't hardly tell they are not the softer XRV's that I used to have. I crawl under my RV all the time looking for and at "stuff". The construction of the Roadmaster is outstanding; it's well made and worth the price, IMHO. Hope this helps.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote