Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #29

Max,
On Tiffin Motorhomes the jacks (HWH) must be in the "Store" position (with the corresponding light on the panel illuminated) when the vehicle is being driven or a light and alarm indicating one or more of the jacks is down will come on. This is outlined in the owner's manual for my Allegro Bay and all other Tiffin coaches, and your coach may be the same.
Next time you're driving hit the "Store" button when it happens and see if the problem goes away. The Store light should remain illuminated till you shut down, and you'll have to hit the "Store" button again next time you start up to drive again.

This may or may not be applicable to your system.

Good luck,
Dave

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2005, 01:16 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
I think it was right about 3000 RPM,

...now the jacks beep at me and say they're down and they are up. Any ideas anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you were at about 3,000RPM when you hit 80 then you were producing almost full torque!

My dealer as well as some other folks have told me that on the HWH leveling system it's best to press "STORE" and then once all the jacks are up just leave the system on and let it shut itself off. This way you're allowing all of the hydraulic pressure to release as there may still be some pressure even after the jacks are up enough to turn off the warning chime. If you turn it off manually before full hydraulic release, one or more of the jacks can creep down while driving. Just a thought.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:44 AM   #31

Max49, as for your HWH jack alarm, try this:

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/730100418/r/730100418#730100418

Old 05-31-2005, 01:40 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 02 winnie,in W-20 is limitd to 75MPH, my friends 02 mo-air W-22 is limited to 77MPH.
tenn. vol.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the tips on my leveling jacks. I know I had HWH jacks on my Winne but after reading you guys suggestions I went out to check my book again and I have "Power Gear" jacks. Never heard of them, any other brand have these? I don't have a 'store' button but have a "retract all jacks" button. I don't really like that because if I go too far, I can't retract just one jack, so I have to start over with all of them.
I think I confused it by turning the key off while they were retracting because it seems to take so long for the light to go off, a couple min maybe, and I thought the springs do all the work. I won't do that again. Another thing I did was watch the jack I suspected was giving me trouble while my son operated it. The bottom of jack is shaped like a bowl and there was like a 1/4" piece of pea gravel that may have jammed in between and kept it down that 1/4'I guess I won't know for sure til we come back home this weekend.
I really like this new motor home but I'm in paranoid mood, "don't touch it, you might break it" kind of thing. I like everything to work perfect and when it's brand new it should.
I'm gonna try that , leaving the "retract all jacks" on. My system is supposed to shut down by it self too after so long.
Horsepower Fan, BTW I like your screen name, 60mph in my mh is 2200 rpm in OD so 80mph has to be just under 3000rpm.
I'm really not near as fast of a driver as some ppl on here think I am, but the tires must be balanced perfect and it really rides so smooth if the road is smooth and the winds not blowing.
I'm keeping closer track as to how many mh's pass me now, There's quite a few that go faster than me. (:
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:28 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the jack warning, I found that the Power Gear low fluid will result in the nag beep. This occurred because of hose leaks. The dealership told me to turn the float upside down until I could get back to the dealership. The float is easy to rotate, since the "nut" is not tourqed down.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #35

Does anyone have any real hard information about the engine RPM running in the 4000 plus RPM range up long grades? The high RPM kind of bothers me. Is this going to reduce engine life? I usually run at about 62 to 63 MPH on cruse. If I don't watch sometimes the transmission will drop down to 3rd gear and then run the RPM way up. Any words of wisdom on this?
Fix it Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #36

I don't think 4,000 rpm would be good for an entire trip, but for pulling grades, I say let it eat! The newer engines are higher winding and more reliable.
As far as a motorhome going 80 mph down the road....Let's try some emergency stopping at that speed. I go 165 every weekend in my dragster, but would never do it in a motorhome. They aren't made for that, and even if you can go that fast and feel like you are in control, what happens when something unexpected pops up? The time that you save with that extra 10 mph just isn't worth it. Enjoy the ride and save some lives. If you can't afford the time, take a shorter trip. Priorities man!
Bucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very seldom am I up in the 4000 range driving,on hills, at 60-62 in cruise control. The CC does not even cut out and will shift down increase speed back to 60-62 just a relaxing ride.
Saves on the gas also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fix it Dave, the flatlanders think they don't need to rev the 8.1 out but when they come out west to the mountains , they will be reving them like they never had to back East.
I'm so used to the 46, 48 and without even thinking about it, I think something happened to the engine when the 'rev limiter kicks in @ 5000 RPM and kills the engine for a millisecond.
I don't like having rev it out that high either, uhhhhh but if I want to get over the hil, that's what I gotta do. A Cat or Cummins might be the only other way. I imagine the Fords have to rev out too.
You dredged this post up from 2005
80 MPH and/or 5000RPM kills the engine.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fix it Dave:
Does anyone have any real hard information about the engine RPM running in the 4000 plus RPM range up long grades? The high RPM kind of bothers me. Is this going to reduce engine life? I usually run at about 62 to 63 MPH on cruse. If I don't watch sometimes the transmission will drop down to 3rd gear and then run the RPM way up. Any words of wisdom on this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4,000 RPM ain't nothin' up here!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I ran up to 4000rpm on a 2 mile 9% grade here in western Pennsylvania last weekend.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I can run 4,000 RPMs when negotiating a grade. It's not uncommon and it doesn't hurt the engine.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The one and only time I hit 80 mph (Downhill with a tail wind... I mean a TAIL WIND (90-100 mph) the Driver Information Display clearly showed "Vehicle Speed Limit" Normally I woudl not drive that fast, (Please note, I was not touching the accelerator pedal, this was coasting) I choose not to use the assorted brakes to slow me down due to the fact it was a SHORT downhill grade..

Got great gas millage on that leg of the trip (See TAIL WIND above) Was beginning to think the 15mph Class A motor home was a reality (Hit 14 on the 50 mile average display)

By the way, I really don't mind being the only rig on the freeway at the speed limit. Or slower, I've found that sans the 100MPH breeze from the rear I get way better millage at 55 than at 65 (about 58-59 is where it starts to drop like a rock) so I tend to drive less than sixty and let them pass me. Time I have, Money I don't.