RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2005, 08:31 AM   #1

We just finished our maiden voyage in our new RV (W22 chassis) and everything performed well except there was a slight, but noticable vibration in the front end whenever the engine was appling power to the transmission while it was in overdrive. This usually happened when we were on a slight upgrade that was not enough to cause the transmission to shift down to first. As soon as the coach topped the rise and started down, and the engine was no longer appling power, the vibration disappeared. Also, if the transmission did shift to first, the vibration disappeared.

I was pulling a 4000 lb toad, travelling 65 mph or less. Should I not be using OD while pulling the toad? Should I be worried about the slight vibration and have it checked out?

05 Allegro Bay with Workhorse
golferdhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2005, 08:31 AM   #2

We just finished our maiden voyage in our new RV (W22 chassis) and everything performed well except there was a slight, but noticable vibration in the front end whenever the engine was appling power to the transmission while it was in overdrive. This usually happened when we were on a slight upgrade that was not enough to cause the transmission to shift down to first. As soon as the coach topped the rise and started down, and the engine was no longer appling power, the vibration disappeared. Also, if the transmission did shift to first, the vibration disappeared.

I was pulling a 4000 lb toad, travelling 65 mph or less. Should I not be using OD while pulling the toad? Should I be worried about the slight vibration and have it checked out?

Old 02-24-2005, 10:15 AM   #3

golferdhm, you may have to do some more diagnosing & troubleshooting. What you describe so far sounds like a driveshaft vibration, but it could be tires/rims also; the faster you go the more noticeable the vibes. Slower speeds and no-load conditions lessen the vibration. Does it occur, at say speeds above 55 without your toad? Does it get worse from 55 to 65 to 75? Look at the rims; any clean areas where a wheel weight may have fallen off? Perhaps one of the best pieces of advice is to seek a second opinion from another friend/rv'er who can judge whether or not you've got a problem that needs fixed. Lastly, was your dealer made aware of the vibration (this may be helpful in getting it resolved n/c).
Old 02-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #4

golferdhm: Congrats on the new coach, and welcome to irv2.com. when you are in "drive" and have leveled out and cruising around 65mph, your tach should be reading around 2300rpms when you are in 5th gear "overdrive". As you climb a slight incline, with the cruise control set on 65, it would not be uncommon to feel it shift down to 4th, and only if the incline is steep, should you feel it shift to 3rd. Each downshift will be accompanied by more noise and higher rpms, but you will probably maintain close to the set speed. Just don't look at your instant fuel mpg display while this is going on...you don't want to know! As far as feeling viberations before the down shift, you probably shold have it checked by a Workhorse authorized dealer (but don't be too susprised if he does not "sense" what you are feeling (or tries to tell you "that's normal"). If you still think you DO have an issue, call WCC direct and ask for their input. If nothing else, get your complaint recorded in case it is needed for future warranty issues.

As far as using the OD while towing your Jeep, there is no problem. The Allison TCM is so smart it "knows" what gear you need for the terrain and load, therefore you should just set your cruise speed and relax. Let the engine and transmission computers handle the worrying. IF you were in such hilly terrain that the constant 5th to 4th downshifts were frequent and distracting, then just put it in 4th and enjoy. If the ECM/TCM senses another steep hill, it will downshift from 4th to 3rd and up again as needed. Either way, the computers won't let you hurt the engine or tranny. Fill it up and let it eat!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:08 AM   #5

Finally got the problem solved. I had to take the MH in for the Actia cluster recall and asked them to see if they could find out why the vibration and loss of gas mileage. It turned out that two of my spark plug wires had worked loose and I was running on six or seven cylinders most of the time. They hooked them up (no charge to me for any of this) and sure enough, the vibration disappeared and my gas mileage improved significantly.

Just another one of those things we need to keep in the back of our mind to check on each time we service our unit,