Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

vibration in front end of chevy chassis

I have a 97 Georgie Boy 34' on Chevey Chassis with a vibration in the front end at all speeds and when you go over a "Pot hole" wheel shakes pretty good. Now I have had front end virtually rebuilt, Upper and Lower Ball joints, shocks, air shocks, bell crank supports and brackets replaced and wheels balanced. Probably more than needed and problem seems improved but still there.
One mechanic told me he thinks the tires are out of round and new tires should solve the problem. Had a second opinion and he does not think tires are that bad and thinks it could be in the steering colum or brackets?
I think they don't have a clue and keep changing this and that in hopes of finding actual problem. Any have similar issue? Or have ideas of what problem sounds like? Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. thanks
donm449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

I guess my question is what degree of vibration are you getting. Is it from the road, I get that on my Class C and my SUV, or is it moving the steering wheel back and forth? I have almost no movement on my steering column and had none on my Allegro when I had a Class A. What tire pressure are you running in front? I don't run mine or didn't run mine at max. I had mine set for the weight and tire specs. You can have your tires checked at any tire shop, but if they find a problem you have to be prepared to buy new tires. That happened to me before we went on our trip and bought 4 rear tires. I hope this helped.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #3

Why don't you rotate tires off the rear and put them on the front? It may be the front tires were affected by your suspension issues as the mechanic stated.
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

??

Bell Crank for Workhorse and Chevy P30, P32 and P37 Chassis
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #5

Thanks for all who responded. The vibration is in steering wheel, slight movement of wheel back and forth in wheel although tires and unit go strait as an aero down the road. Thought about rotating tires before buying new ones as they look like new. So that may be next step. thanks.
donm449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
X2 on the rotate.

Have had several cars that had that same issue. Handles fine, but irritating to have that wiggle in the steering wheel.

Everytime it was a tire thing.

Good luck!
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbigdog View Post
Why don't you rotate tires off the rear and put them on the front? It may be the front tires were affected by your suspension issues as the mechanic stated.
it is important keep the rear dual tires in pairs that have the same circumference.
when rotating tires, take a pair off one side of the rear and install on the front.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

I had a similar problem (tires were new Michelins) took it to a truck shop that had a road force balancer. The road force check found 2 tires that needed adjustment after that vibration was gone.
FTInMyDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, vibration