RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #1

Video: Here it is The Best Scan Gauge for 8.1 Vortec and Workhorse Chassis

Best tool ever GM Tech2 I won't leave home with out it. Found some online for $225.00 but can't confirm if they have the same software.

Link to my other projects https://www.youtube.com/user/ktoutdoor/videos

Ebay link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tech2-Car-D...AAAOSwPkBafW03

Ebay Item # 263040503273

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #2

Great video! I agree, if you have a Workhorse RV with the 8.1 engine this is a must have. I bought a wire splitter for ODB2 port so I can monitor my UltraGauge scanner and the Tech II at the same time. I look forward to more videos.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I bought one and I like the way that I can use it on any vehicle. It is an amazing tool. the part I like best is the misfire feature. Helps me identify what is wrong with the moho. Best code reader that I own. I bought one of the chinese knock offs from ebay.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #4

How do you have the teck2 mounted for viewing ?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #5

I stand it up on the floor next to my left leg, I don't keep it hooked up all the time. If you do this be careful with the (Tech II Wire Connector) it doesn't like to be bent, I made a stand so the wire connector doesn't touch the floor and hold the scanner up.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #6

That's a great ideal
Old 07-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #7

I see you have two scangauge monitors (in video)..Are they necessary and why do you have two? Are there primary things you monitor in real time? The TechII monitor has a transmission temp readout which I do not believe the ScanGauge can read...
Nice video and information...
Old 07-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
The Scan Gauge2 can read tranny temp and coolant temp both.
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #9

I got me a OBD2 splitter so I can run 2 of the ScanGauge2 gauges.
So I can monitor 8 different items as I go down the road.
Those being Long and Short term fuel trims banks 1 and 2 so I know what is normal if I see my numbers going up then I know to start looking for a problem.
I believe to protect our 8.1 engines we need to make sure they never run lean if you start to see double digits you need to find out why .. intake leak ? bad MAF sensor.
I also monitor water temp, trans temp. "I have the 5 speed" plus engine load and open / closed loop mode. If you find that you are not going closed loop your fuel economy will suffer.
PS in order to make this work you have to change the UPDATE RATE from normal to slow. If you leave it at normal the engine computer cant keep up and you will get a error on the dash and will reset into limp home mode.. engine will loose power. "Scared the crap out of me." But shutting off the engine and a restart will make everything right again.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:02 PM   #10

I was under the impression from reading other posts the transmission temp could not be monitored on the Allison 6 speed with the ScanGaugeII I believe Omey was experimenting with different input codes to see if an accurate reading could be monitored..Looks like the TechII preference would be for troubleshooting/reset purposes while the ScanGaugeII system for realtime monitoring...I think both will be a valuable addition..
Also I like the idea of a separate fuel pressure gauge like in the video. I may look into installing one..Did you purchase separately or was it a standard gauge on your motorhome?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoutoor View Post
I got me a OBD2 splitter so I can run 2 of the ScanGauge2 gauges.
So I can monitor 8 different items as I go down the road.
Those being Long and Short term fuel trims banks 1 and 2 so I know what is normal if I see my numbers going up then I know to start looking for a problem.
I believe to protect our 8.1 engines we need to make sure they never run lean if you start to see double digits you need to find out why .. intake leak ? bad MAF sensor.
I also monitor water temp, trans temp. "I have the 5 speed" plus engine load and open / closed loop mode. If you find that you are not going closed loop your fuel economy will suffer.
PS in order to make this work you have to change the UPDATE RATE from normal to slow. If you leave it at normal the engine computer cant keep up and you will get a error on the dash and will reset into limp home mode.. engine will loose power. "Scared the crap out of me." But shutting off the engine and a restart will make everything right again.
ktoutoor,
Please explain your statement about open / closed loop and fuel economy suffer.

Am new to our 8.1 bought 4 months ago trying to learn. Previously Ford v10 and not happy with chevy fuel economy compared to ford but not comparing apples to apples, chevy bigger coach, but still believe mpg should be better than the 6.4 on recent trip. even still ford only about 7.5 mpg
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #12

About my fuel pressure gauge hear is my video on how I did it.
I would like to know if someone has a 6 speed Allison and the tech2 scanner if it will show the trans temp ?

Old 07-10-2018, 12:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop-sicle View Post
ktoutoor,
Please explain your statement about open / closed loop and fuel economy suffer.

Am new to our 8.1 bought 4 months ago trying to learn. Previously Ford v10 and not happy with chevy fuel economy compared to ford but not comparing apples to apples, chevy bigger coach, but still believe mpg should be better than the 6.4 on recent trip. even still ford only about 7.5 mpg
Open Loop Closed Loop: the way I understand it upon startup / "open loop" or wide open throttle the computer ignores the o2 sensors and other inputs that help maintain a air fuel ratio of 14.7 to 1 , during these times we need the extra fuel for warm up and climbing the next big hill. But during these times your fuel ratio will drop from 14.7 to 1 to around 10 or 11 to 1 .. If for what ever the reason your driving around in open loop you will be using more fuel I believe this is also called :Power Enrichment Mode. The ScanGauge2 also has a setting that will show you your currant air fuel ratio.

From the manual
Power Enrichment: Scan tool displays ACTIVE or INACTIVE. ACTIVE displayed indicates that the control
module has detected conditions appropriate to operate in Power Enrichment mode. The control module
commands Power Enrichment mode when a large increase in throttle position and load is detected. While in
Power Enrichment, the control module will increase the amount of fuel delivered by entering Open Loop and
increasing the injector pulse width.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #14

PS I forgot the last thing I monitor is engine load, I watch this while using cruse control as I come to a hill I don't like for my engine to race up to 4000 RPM so I watch the engine load as its gets to 88% then I will tap the cruse control button 1 time dropping my speed a little so I can stay in that higher gear. I repeat this as needed

Tags
chassis, workhorse, workhorse chassis