Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ramblin,You do gear down and take out of overdrive as someone has already suggested correct?
You may have to go down as far as 2nd or first depends on grade.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Ramblin,You do gear down and take out of overdrive as someone has already suggested correct?
You may have to go down as far as 2nd or first depends on grade.
Yes I do, and I've never had this sort of problem before. I may have been on the brakes more than usual this time, but I try not to touch the brakes at all unless I have to. Usually, Allison does a pretty good job holding the beast back. But when I do brake, I stab them pretty hard to bleed off the speed, then get off them trying to have at least 4:1 no brakes:brakes.

I have no explanation why this time I had a problem, when I've never had a problem before. I haul 10 ton loads of hay out of the mountains routinely with my dually and flatbed. I'm no newbie to dealing with grades.

I have never replaced the brake fluid in this coach, and I have no indication that the previous owner did either, other than he had the brake recall done, and I assume fresh fluid would have been part of that.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I have never replaced the brake fluid in this coach, and I have no indication that the previous owner did either, other than he had the brake recall done, and I assume fresh fluid would have been part of that.
Don't ASSUME anything.. I always figure they DID NOT do it and check. I flush/bleed my brakes fluid EVERY YEAR. Best $12 and 30 mins spent.

Here is a photo of 1 year old fluid compared to new.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
The other thing you can do is move to a synthetic fluid.
As far as I know there has never been a mineral or petroleum based fluid used to make brake fluid. Any modern fluid that would be seen in the past 15 years on any vehicle in the US would be "synthetic" including Workhorse.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Coming down the mountain last week, I was on the brakes a little more than usual. Nothing drastic.
I would ask the following, were you at all in compression? You didn't say.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Don't ASSUME anything.. I always figure they DID NOT do it and check. I flush/bleed my brakes fluid EVERY YEAR. Best $12 and 30 mins spent. Here is a photo of 1 year old fluid compared to new.
You can never show this picture too many times!

Change your brake fluid folks at least every 2 years and or 24,000 miles WCF. You'll be glad that you did!

Please do not subscribe to the writings of people that would tell you that I've owned my car for over 20 years and never changed the fluid ... "Not Good!"
Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I would ask the following, were you at all in compression? You didn't say.
I don't understand what 'in compression' means. Can you elaborate?

Also, do you know if replacing the brake fluid would be a standard part of the brake recall service?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ramblin,

While it probably should have been, replacing ALL the fluid in your brake system was not a standard part of the recent brake recall. Only enough fluid was supplied to replenish the amount lost during the process of replacing the calipers.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
So, is the process of replacing the fluid in my W-22 similar to doing it on a standard vehicle? I know about the hydroboost system, but don't really know how it plays into the fluid change equasion.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I don't understand what 'in compression' means. Can you elaborate?
Ramblin, "In Compression" means that you should be in a selected lower gear and allow the engine compression to assist in slowing the vehicle when coming off of a grade. The rule of thumb is that you should be in the same gear coming down off of a grade and was used going up the opposite grade (although that is variable and up to the experience of the driver)

This task is best accomplished using the Transmission Grade Brake (TGB) or an after market product if your vehicle was manufactured prior to model year 2005.

Driving a Class 6 vehicle, you "never" want to allow your service brakes to do all the braking. You need grab a gear and allow your equipment to help slow the descent of the vehicle. Yes you will want to stab the brakes to scrub energy off of the vehicle as your descend. You should also look for and maintain the safe descent speed for 18 wheel trucks will on grade. This is often posted and it could be as low as 45 MPH. Keeping your motorhome as a descent speed of 45 MPH will not hurt the engine in any way.

Just do not simply turn the OD switch to off. This does not provide enough compression. You need to initially pull the gear shift lever down to 3rd gear and allow it to run. If you are going to approach 45 MPH, just pump the brake pedal hard for about 1 to 2 seconds to scrub speed.

Quote:
Also, do you know if replacing the brake fluid would be a standard part of the brake recall service?
No it is unfortunately NOT part of the recall instructions. The Hydro-Max needs to be completely vacuumed and all the fluid at the wheel ends need to be bleed until clean (clear) fluid is observed coming from the bleeder (after the Hydro-Max booster tank is refilled).
Old 06-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
So, is the process of replacing the fluid in my W-22 similar to doing it on a standard vehicle? I know about the hydroboost system, but don't really know how it plays into the fluid change equation.
If you understand the process it is simple to accomplish. Just make sure that you do it properly and don't suck up air into the system and to keep the Hydro-Max tank full. Oemy has Speed-bleeders which will keep this from happening plus you can bleed with only 1 person.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #26

With ABS and HydroBoost the bake flush is best done under continous presure, not the old pump and bleed process. You did not technically boil the brake fluid, you boiled the water in the brake lines, creating a void in the hydralic process. The only way to effectively replace all the fluid in your brake systme is by flushing using a power bleeder. Pump and dump leaves too much chance for air in the brake lines and ABS valves. Also all the suggestions pertaining to downshifting, or compression braking, are valid points used every day by experienced commercial drivers across the country.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer45 View Post
The only way to effectively replace all the fluid in your brake system is by flushing using a power bleeder. Pump and dump leaves too much chance for air in the brake lines and ABS valves.
Workhorse service manuals will also recommend gravity bleeding, takes longer but t works.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #28

Have not gravity bled one of these, but have done plenty of Yukons and Sierras. Must take the better part of a day to gravity feed a complete brake fluid change.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes