Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner

I attended the FMCA Ralley in Perry Last Week. I attended the WCC seminars and went to their booth. I asked them about the Oil-filled hubs and the interval for changing the oil.

They stated that the oil does not have to be changed for the First 100,000 miles, just check and be sure the proper amount is present.
You can use SAE 80 / 90W . He recommended not using synthetic, because he did not know if the seals were designed to handle synthetic oils. They said that you would only have to change the oil if it got contaminated, or you had other Bearing and or Hub problems.
Only the P Chassis requires re-packing of the front wheel bearings at the suggested maintenance schedule.

I do wish they would take the confusing info in the maintenance schedule and correct it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #16

OK Driver. That is the way my hubs look. Filled the same as yours. Using 80/90 Gear oil. After all that hard work today. Sit back and have another beer.

2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you all for the help. My levels are correct. I just popped the small center hub cover off.
Our weather here was just great for playing with the coach.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did a search and found this great info on the oil filled hubs, thanks. Just checking, is it still as listed a few replys up, that you don't need to change the hub oil until 100,000 miles or if there is some repair work done?
Paul and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Paul and Sue for bringing this subject to our attention we will all be checking this spring before the trips we plan. Come on warm weather. "007"
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just checking, is it still as listed a few replys up, that you don't need to change the hub oil until 100,000 miles or if there is some repair work done? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PAUL and SUE: on page 24 of the newest edition of the Chassis Guide it states : " the condition of the fluid must also be inspected during tire rotation or once per year, if fluid is contaminated (i.e. dirt or water in the oil)the fluid must be changed and inner hub assembly cleaned." There is no mention of any milage parameters.
Then back on page 94 under the heading "Recommended Fluids and Lubricants" it says "Front Wheel Bearings-15,000 miles: W Series Chassis-SAE 90W GL-5 gera oil (P/N 1052227)"

Considering how little oil is involved, I'd say to err on the side of caution and change out the front wheel bearing oil at least every 15,000 to 20,000 miles. It isn't difficult to rotate the wheel so the large screw plug is downward, and let it drain, then replace the plug and refill thru the pop out plug in the hub center. Recheck the level after a short drive, to be sure you are not below the "low oil" line on the hub cover. Don't overfill, like I did, 'cause when it heats up, it will come out and make an oily mess all over your wheels and tires. ED
Old 02-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks you guys! The info in this forum and photo's showing how, is just great!
Paul and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Something to consider. If you have had your brakes changed out on the recent recall, check that the oil has not overheated. Mine was distinctly different on the left. Dark and not at all like the right. Changed the oil in the left just for good measure. Leaked last time out. Will refill and reseat the plug prior to next trip. OBTW, if you overheat the brakes the oil WILL drain down the tires when you stop.

Driver, can you overfill the reservoir? I would assume you could if you don't allow for expansion.

Charlie

Luke, Head of Security
CharlieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:35 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Driver, can you overfill the reservoir? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
CharlieM: I'm not DriVer, but I hope this answer will suffice
The "full" level is the bottom of the center plug. IF you leave in this plug, and add the oil through the screw on cap-plug (which is actually the drain), then yes you can overfill the hub. When this excess oil gets hot enough to expand and leak out around the center rubber plug, then you will have an oily mess all over your wheels, tires and wheel well.

The correct method, which makes it impossible to overfill, it to add the new oil to the hub by removing the rubber center plug and filling the hub to the point where it is about to run out. Then drive a short distance, and re-check the level. Add more thru the center hole if necessary. Hope this helps, ED
Old 02-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Ed;

Yea, I, for some reason, thought the center plug was a safety plug for overheating and the cap was for filling/draining. Teaches me to be logical. Prior to the recall I had the classic dragging brake and the oil was forced out of the plug and you are right, what a mess. Luckily I saw the oil on the tire and was able to park it safely.

I can't find anywhere in the WH handbooks where it explains how to fill this resevoir. Had it done at the local WH dealer while the MH was under warranty.

Charlie

Luke, Head of Security
CharlieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #25

Some gear oils use the name hypoid. What does that mean?

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:26 AM   #26
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ghamblen:
Some gear oils use the name hypoid. What does that mean? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hypoid referes to the physical construction of the gears. Typically they look like cones and they mesh with other similiar gears. This application is prevalent in your differential gear set. The oil used in there is therefore often referred to as hypoid oil but what you're really looking for as an oil that's rated for GL-5 use.

Front wheel bearings on Workhorse W-Series chassis use an SAE 90W GL-5 oil.

ED! Good job on that explaination about filling the front hubs.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #27

Hi guys
New here and I hope you can help.....
do you still pack the front bearings with grease and use the oil ????
Not sure what to do here.
Did the front breaks and new bearings and don't rember if they had grease......
Thanks so much
Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bwhitis:
New here and I hope you can help..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bwhitis, Welcome to iRV2.com<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
do you still pack the front bearings with grease and use the oil ???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Brian, The front bearings on your Workhorse will definitely be either or but NOT both. If you have a W Series you will use fluid. If you have a P Series you are going to have to repack the bearings. It's that simple.

<LI> If you have an Allison transmission your front wheel bearings are fluid filled.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote