Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2005, 01:57 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner

I finally got a call back from a Workhorse Chassis tech. from the WC plant this afternoon, concerning the Proper weight oil to use in the Front Wheel bearings.
I have not been able to find any SAE 90W, GL-5 Gear Oil in any of the four Auto parts stores. I can only find Multi-Grade Gear Oils. The Tech said I can use SAE 80W / 90W, GL-5 Oil with no problem. He told me not to use a Synthetic oil, as you can not mix them. The oil in the resevoir is SAE 90W, GL-5 OIL, from the Factory, so only use oil if topping off.
I guess you can switch to Synthetic when you change the oil at 15,000 miles.
Hope this helps others.
I also sent an e-mail, but I don't think I will get any thing in writing.
I spoke to a few different people in the customer service department, and gave them my Cell phone to have a tech. call me back.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2005, 01:57 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner

I finally got a call back from a Workhorse Chassis tech. from the WC plant this afternoon, concerning the Proper weight oil to use in the Front Wheel bearings.
I have not been able to find any SAE 90W, GL-5 Gear Oil in any of the four Auto parts stores. I can only find Multi-Grade Gear Oils. The Tech said I can use SAE 80W / 90W, GL-5 Oil with no problem. He told me not to use a Synthetic oil, as you can not mix them. The oil in the resevoir is SAE 90W, GL-5 OIL, from the Factory, so only use oil if topping off.
I guess you can switch to Synthetic when you change the oil at 15,000 miles.
Hope this helps others.
I also sent an e-mail, but I don't think I will get any thing in writing.
I spoke to a few different people in the customer service department, and gave them my Cell phone to have a tech. call me back.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:09 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Thanks for the info, the 80/90 weight was all I could find in our area. I have not been in need so far, so its good to get a "thumbs-up".

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 07:44 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a new MH and noted the oil filled front wheel bearings. I wondered when I saw them and again now while reading your post, how do you add oil to them. What is the procedure for filling these wheel bearings.
Does the oil really have to be changed at 15K miles in these wheel bearings?
Appreciate you updating my learning curve.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill, I believe the procedure is covered in the WCC chassis manual, from memory, remove the rubber plug in the middle of the sight glass and fill to above the minimum line as indicated. I have not researched the change frequency.

Fred
Old 03-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the owners manual there is no given milage for changing the wheel bearing oil. It says to check the level every 3k miles if using the short trip or 7.5k miles if using the long trip maintenance schedule. The owners manual states the 15k miles is for the P chassis and that is to repack the bearings.

I've noticed several conflicts between the owners manual and the workhorse chassis manual.

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Al, in the WCC chassis manual the front wheel bearing item also covers the P32 chassis which requires repacking with grease. I guess we have to read between the lines.

Fred
Old 03-26-2005, 10:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do I have to remove the entire hubcap or can I just pry out the small center piece to check the level?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 02:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arch Hoagland:
Do I have to remove the entire hubcap or can I just pry out the small center piece to check the level? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>(typically) You will have to pull the 4 nut covers and unscrew the wheel liner retaining nuts. Remove the liner and you can get access to the front hubs.

Remove the cap located in the center of the hub assuring no dirt or water enters the hole. Make sure the fill is pointed upward. Fill to the indicated level.

Once full drive a short distance and check the level again. Adjust the level if required and secure the cap and wheel liner.

You can download the WCC Chassis Guide that details the entire procedure on Page 21. Use the following link.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Workhorse Gas Motorhome Chassis Guide</span>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:14 AM   #10

Drivere are sure that black cap is the fill. I thought it was a drain. I fill mine by removing the rubber plug in center of cap. Also only need to remove the center of the wheel liner to add or check oil.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
rvten, on the Newmar hubs we just have to remove the center steel cap on hub to gain access to the fill cap. You can also check oil level, LOOKING AT GLASS, by just removing steel cap on hub cap. Just use a thin blade screw driver to pop the center steel cap. The cap on axel is for filling on Newmars chassis. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:32 AM   #12

I got the little black cap on hub. But I take the gray cap off end of hub to put oil in just to bottom of opening. Use the black cap to drain.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:58 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The oil should show half full looking at the site glass. Check after driving a few miles to make sure its still half full. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:58 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
Driver are sure that black cap is the fill? I thought it was a drain. I fill mine by removing the rubber plug in center of cap. Also only need to remove the center of the wheel liner to add or check oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well now ya did it! Ya made me go out on "Easter Sunday" and tear down my wheel liner and look at the hub. I recall on my 19.5 inch wheel liners that I had 4 acorn nut covers to remove but on the 22.5 there were only 3. Now when I removed the center cap the wheel liner fell off.

Note the large black plug used to drain the hub.

Note the minimum oil level line.

I posted earlier according to the "Chassis Guide" that you're supposed to fill the hub through the center plug.

You can see the "minimum oil fill line" and by looking at my picture the bearings are in oil up to their ears.

The big black plug on the side of the hub is the drain.

I have a skinned knee so I could get the shot and I had to find my bottle of GoJo to clean up.

Now the next holiday you'se guys will probably make me work on would be Memorial Day so make note of it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote