Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
W/24 Brake Flush

Has anyone tried flushing brake system on W/24 w/ 4 piston Calipers? Looks like, a pain in the all-over everywhere. I don't see anyway to get around having to remove rear wheels, since they have 2 bleeders per wheel and the outside Bleed is inside the wheel. Where can i get a lug wrench, mean enough to break the wheel nuts loose. I suppose will take about $300 impact and $20 socket otherwise. Still not sure w/3/8 air line. Probably not enough volume.

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire
arknphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Had the coach in for repair about a year ago and had them do the flush of the brake fluid. I purchased a 600# 3/4" drive torque at Harbor Freight for $71.97 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3293. Then went to sears and bought 33mm socket and ext set all 3/4" drive. I hope that all of this will just lay in the storage bin and never be used. I also carry a spare tire only. Not a bad price on the torque wrench.
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arknphyl View Post
Has anyone tried flushing brake system on W/24 w/ 4 piston Calipers? Looks like, a pain in the all-over everywhere. I don't see anyway to get around having to remove rear wheels, since they have 2 bleeders per wheel and the outside Bleed is inside the wheel. Where can i get a lug wrench, mean enough to break the wheel nuts loose. I suppose will take about $300 impact and $20 socket otherwise. Still not sure w/3/8 air line. Probably not enough volume.

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire
arknphyl, how did you make out with your w24 brake flush? I have looked at my w24 and wondered if the wheel had to be removed. If so, bigger job than I would tackle.

Thank's.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I finally got it flushed, and it is a pretty tough job.The rear Wheels have to be removed, but if you have steel wheels, You don't have to remove the front wheels. you can line up 1 of the 4, 3" TO 4" eye shaped holes and go thru there to get to the outside bleeder, and turn your wheel out to get to the inside bleeder. so you don't have to go underneath front or rear except to jack up and place jack stands I have a Shop building W/12'3" high doors, home made heavy duty jack stands, 25 ton bottle jack but it is a bear for 68 year out of shape old man. But is hard to find anyone in my area to do the job, and if you do it will cost you at least $250. I didn't want to do it, but felt I hardly had a choice. My wonderful wife did the brake pushing, while I operated the wrench to bleed the rears, but I did the front alone by gravity.(I suppose I used my helper to much). They don't make the speed bleeders for W-24 yet. You can use your level Jacks to take some weight off, but still need good jack and heavy duty jack stands. Be sure you are willing and able but be CAREFUL.

PS. I borrowed a 1250ft lb impact from co.that I worked, and it took all it had to get lugs loose.Need a lot of volume with about 120 lb pressure.I had only 3/8 hose, which doesn't supply enough volume to get 1250 ft lb. also shortened hose.
arknphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arknphyl View Post
. Be sure you are willing and able but be CAREFUL.

PS. I borrowed a 1250ft lb impact from co.that I worked, and it took all it had to get lugs loose..
Thanks for the info. Doesn't look like a two beer Saturday afternoon project to me. I think I'll pass.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Thanks for the info. Doesn't look like a two beer Saturday afternoon project to me. I think I'll pass.
It's not impossible to do but it does require a fair amount of support equipment.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
It's not impossible to do but it does require a fair amount of support equipment.

2 six packages and a nap in between. Greg

Tags
brake, brake fluid, w24